Parks with "inapropriate activity"

I sought a cache 3 months ago in a relatively small park which has been targeted by certain gay swinger websites as a cool place to go crusing for gay sex. Men were openly having sex in the park, and if you walked thru, you'd like be approached by numerous men.

I recently hid a geocache in a very large park which I enjoy hiking thru. Someone was seeking out the cache & encountered two men with their pants around their ankles. I inquired & found out that this park too has been stated in gay website as a cool place to cruise.

We aren't talking about a couple (gay or straight) going for a hike, and then nature taking course. we're talking about about people saying "let's go to this public place & have sex in the open." That's wrong IMHO, and illegal. While I'm annoyed at the impact it'll have on my caches, thats nothing compared to how annoyed I am that these people are publically having sex in an area where familes & children go to hike.

The pArk Police Chief said they are doing patrols, undercover agents, etc, and have busted numerous men who were engaging in sex publically, however its a very large park with 6 or 7 different parking areas, so it's a lot of ground to cover.

Has anyone heard of any other parks with this problem? And I'm not talking about a lovers lane type thing where people park & cuddle in their cards, I mean out in the open sex. If your cache was hidden in such an area, would you archive it? Since most "activity" takes place nearby the parking areas, I figure a cache placed far away would probably be safe, but I can't imagine a cache near the parking area would be too wise.

[This message was edited by Gwho on August 02, 2002 at 01:26 PM.]

First off... Charlie- ROFLMAO.

Now, I've got a cache that I archived because it was near a hidden beach with lots of nudism (virtually all gay males 35 and older) , rolling around in the underbrush, and a few syringes I found near the cache. But in life you've got to watch the broad sweeping generalizations. I think this is a segment of the gay community, not representative ofthe whole. I feel these are the cats who give the gay community at large a "bad name". It is public space, and they are engaging in very private behavior. And yes, geocaching is very family oriented. I should have thought twice about where I hid my cache, but I ultimately archived it. To bad. It is a really cool place.

Bottom line, I think your title of "Gay activity" is kind of awkward. This is just some gay people acting poorly and thoughtlessly in public.

boo2.jpg

Ahhhh......the moist nose of a German Wirehaired Pointer!

I didn't see any log by Harrald describing any inappropriate activity, but my daughter and I did visit the Allison Park cache yesterday, and saw absolutely nothing out of the ordinary ... in fact the only other person we saw was a woman walking her dog. Happily, I also didn't notice any discarded "evidence" one usually sees around such "meeting spots."

quote:
Originally posted by Irvingdog:

Agreed. Although if I were wearing my broad sword perhaps that might deter such activity... [icon_biggrin.gif]

quote:
...life you've got to watch the broad sweeping generalizations. I think this is a segment of the gay community, not representative ofthe whole....!

Absolutely. I agree & reworded the title as such...

quote:
It is public space, and they are engaging in very private behavior. And yes, geocaching is very family oriented...This is just some gay people acting poorly and thoughtlessly in public.

I really have to disagree here. A couple walking in the park, holdings hands, which leads to more is "acting poorly and thoughtlessly". Purposely seeking sexual partners in a public place to engage is sex in that same public place is more then that. Furthermore, it isn't just one couple, it's numerous ones apparently. At least in the other park it was. The Chief of police returned my call and didn't answer all of my questions but it appears as if this is the same group conducting the same business.

[This message was edited by Gwho on August 01, 2002 at 06:10 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Irvingdog:

Agreed. Although if I were wearing my broad sword perhaps that might deter such activity... [;)]

quote:
...life you've got to watch the broad sweeping generalizations. I think this is a segment of the gay community, not representative ofthe whole....!

Absolutely. I agree & reworded the title as such...

quote:
It is public space, and they are engaging in very private behavior. And yes, geocaching is very family oriented...This is just some gay people acting poorly and thoughtlessly in public.

I really have to disagree here. A couple walking in the park, holdings hands, which leads to more is "acting poorly and thoughtlessly". Purposely seeking sexual partners in a public place to engage is sex in that same public place is more then that. Furthermore, it isn't just one couple, it's numerous ones apparently. At least in the other park it was. The Chief of police returned my call and didn't answer all of my questions but it appears as if this is the same group conducting the same business.

[This message was edited by Gwho on August 01, 2002 at 06:10 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by GeoManhattan:

If it was a guy and a girl would you have been so offended and shocked?

I bet you scared them right back - I doubt they'll be back.

http://www.GeoManhattan.com

One guy & girl? irritated & annoyed? yes. shocked and offended? probably not. NUMEROUS boys & girls? Yes I would be shocked & offended, which is the case here. I've revised myu original post to explain that.

alt.jpg

www.gpswnj.com

quote:

http://www.GeoManhattan.com

Sadly, you would likely bet wrong. The gay sex in the parks thing is so big, it has a website so people visiting a new city will know where to go. The problem is that the things that draw us who hide caches to a park are often the same things that draw people to a park for illicit sex. I would have a hard time going back to some of the caches here in Omaha that are hidden around Cunningham lake after my last trip. I certainly wouldn't be taking my kids or nephew/nieces.

By appointment to the Court of HRM Queen Mikki I.

quote:
Originally posted by Gwho:

Has anyone heard of any other parks with this problem? And I'm not talking about a lovers lane type thing where people park & cuddle in their cards, I mean out in the open sex.

Not in a park, but a hetero couple in my apartment complex once decided to use their parking spot for something other than parking. icon_rolleyes.gifWithout their car. After a small amount of discussion with the neighbors, my husband was nominated to call the cops.

(No, the discussion was to determine who was going to call the cops! Shame on you! icon_razz.gif)

quote:
Originally posted by Gwho:

Has anyone heard of any other parks with this problem? And I'm not talking about a lovers lane type thing where people park & cuddle in their cards, I mean out in the open sex.

Not in a park, but a hetero couple in my apartment complex once decided to use their parking spot for something other than parking. icon_rolleyes.gifWithout their car. After a small amount of discussion with the neighbors, my husband was nominated to call the cops.

(No, the discussion was to determine who was going to call the cops! Shame on you! icon_razz.gif)

quote:

If the 'guy and girl' had gone to that park separately with the intent of 'hooking up' with a complete stranger just to have sex, YES, I would be equally shocked and offended. And no, the type of person who goes to a public place to behave in such a manner is looking for the thrill of being discovered. I am certain that they weren't at all put off by being found/caught. icon_redface.gif

Let's get something straight (no pun intended) here, folks: These people are doing this in broad daylight and they aren't making a strong point about trying to hide themselves. While in So. California (no cracks (okay - no pun there, either!) about "Well hey, it IS California!), I have seen this type of activity happening in early evening right on a picnic table within sight of a little league game! icon_mad.gif

I see this as nearly as heinous as people selling drugs in parks and such areas. I could care less what their sexual orientation is - if they weren't driving New Beetles and Mazda Miatas, they could just have sex in their cars, for crying out loud! icon_rolleyes.gif

This is one reason I carry a walking stick... if I witnessed this type of activity, especially if my kids were anywhere nearby, I would hit them with something hard that they really weren't expecting!

This goes on because of apathy: People avert their eyes and turn away. This adds to their 'thrill'. Instead we should stand nearby and yell and cause a ruckus. Give them bad exposure (um, I'll stop fighting it...), attract too much attention to them. Act like a neighborhood watch program does and take your parks back from this kind of diseased behavior!

No, it isn't my hormone levels... it's the law!

RedwoodRed Incensed

---

How much red would a redwood red if a redwood could red wood?

quote:

If the 'guy and girl' had gone to that park separately with the intent of 'hooking up' with a complete stranger just to have sex, YES, I would be equally shocked and offended. And no, the type of person who goes to a public place to behave in such a manner is looking for the thrill of being discovered. I am certain that they weren't at all put off by being found/caught. icon_redface.gif

Let's get something straight (no pun intended) here, folks: These people are doing this in broad daylight and they aren't making a strong point about trying to hide themselves. While in So. California (no cracks (okay - no pun there, either!) about "Well hey, it IS California!), I have seen this type of activity happening in early evening right on a picnic table within sight of a little league game! icon_mad.gif

I see this as nearly as heinous as people selling drugs in parks and such areas. I could care less what their sexual orientation is - if they weren't driving New Beetles and Mazda Miatas, they could just have sex in their cars, for crying out loud! icon_rolleyes.gif

This is one reason I carry a walking stick... if I witnessed this type of activity, especially if my kids were anywhere nearby, I would hit them with something hard that they really weren't expecting!

This goes on because of apathy: People avert their eyes and turn away. This adds to their 'thrill'. Instead we should stand nearby and yell and cause a ruckus. Give them bad exposure (um, I'll stop fighting it...), attract too much attention to them. Act like a neighborhood watch program does and take your parks back from this kind of diseased behavior!

No, it isn't my hormone levels... it's the law!

RedwoodRed Incensed

---

How much red would a redwood red if a redwood could red wood?

Many public parks are a magnet for homosexuals. Several local parks and rest areas have been closed, because they could not stop the homosexuals from using these parks as their personal whore house. It is hard to maintain a cache in these parks, because the cretins seek out little hidy holes to conceal their perversion. Sometimes the same hiding place that contains the cache.

quote:
Originally posted by pipedreamer:

quote:
Sadly, you would likely bet wrong. The gay sex in the parks thing is so big, it has a website so people visiting a new city will know where to go.
Can you point a link to this website? I would like to know where NOT to place a cache.

No, I have never logged on to that one. We had problems with this going on in Elmwood Park near the University. This caused the site to be mentioned on the news report about it as this park was rather favorably mentioned.

The comments about apathy are right. We need to stop tolerating this as tolerance of self-destructive behavior is not a good thing. Its called Enabling. It violates the only rule worth following (the golden rule). AIDS, syphilis, and other STDs are increasingly common in the gay community because of these type of activities that the larger society (and more shamefully, the larger gay community) refuses to do anything about it for fear of seeming "insensitive".

They are called "Glory Holes" by their users. I usually try to do a search by that and the park name. I know of two, Ridley Creek State Park in Newtown Square, PA and Westside Regional Park in Jacksonville, FL. I usually make some phone calls to the local vice squad or community response team. I have also stopped to ask them what are they going to do when someone child stumbles across them. I am not a gay basher, in fact I used to live with a gay man, but I do think children shouldn't be introduced to this by accidently finding these guys with their pants down. They can do this stuff behind closed doors at home or in a motel.

pipedreamer, I don't know if you are really looking for info, or you are challenging the veracity that such a site exists. Either way, check out cruisingforsex.com if you want to. I found the site after seeing a newspaper story many months ago. It's graphic and adult.

One entry looks like this:

Acton:

Public Places

>> Acton Arboretum , on Taylor Road. Cruisy parking lot and nearby woods. Located off Route 27 near Route 2. Park in the small parking lot on Taylor Road. Add Comments

Add coordinates and it looks kind of familiar, right?

PLEASE, spare me flames and follow-ups. I won't even be able to respond for about a week. BTW, I am straight and tolerant.

"Everybody wants to save the world, but nobody wants to help mom with the dishes," -P.J. O'Rourke

quote:
Originally posted by bigredmed

The comments about apathy are right. We need to stop tolerating this as tolerance of self-destructive behavior is not a good thing. Its called Enabling. It violates the only rule worth following (the golden rule). AIDS, syphilis, and other STDs are increasingly common in the gay community because of these type of activities that the larger society (and more shamefully, the larger gay community) refuses to do anything about it for fear of seeming "insensitive".

Right on! Not to mention they want to lead the Scouts, adopt kids, and teach them in our classrooms, and somehow try and tell us they are not recruiting them.

Now, they are politicaly attacking our religious Freedoms, any religion that doesnt condone this behaivior could become a "hate group" if this type of legislation is passed.

www.reclaimamerica.org

quote:
Originally posted by thrillseeker69:

quote:
Originally posted by bigredmed

Right on! Not to mention they want to lead the Scouts, adopt kids, and teach them in our classrooms, and somehow try and tell us they are not recruiting them.

Now, they are politicaly attacking our religious Freedoms, any religion that doesnt condone this behaivior could become a "hate group" if this type of legislation is passed.

Hello?

I thought we were talking about having sex in parks, not about whether any subset of society was living a righteous life by whatever definition we choose to enforce upon them. It's none of our business as geocachers what gays, or straights, or anyone else, does when we aren't going to stumble on it with our kids.

Please take your other opinions to a thread where they're relevant, if you can find one on this site. But since it's a site about geocaching, don't hold your breath.

evilrooster

-the email of the species is deadlier than the mail-

quote:
Hello?

I thought we were talking about having sex in parks, not about whether any subset of society was living a righteous life by whatever definition we choose to enforce upon them. It's none of our business as geocachers what gays, or straights, or anyone else, does when we aren't going to stumble on it with our kids.

Please take your other opinions to a thread where they're relevant, if you can find one on this site. But since it's a site about geocaching, don't hold your breath.

evilrooster

Very well said!

Lapaglia icon_cool.gif

"Muga Muchu" (forget yourself, focus).

quote:
Hello?

evilrooster

Very well said!

Lapaglia icon_cool.gif

"Muga Muchu" (forget yourself, focus).