What they say and what they really mean....

seneca

I have noticed that on these forums, what people say, is often not actually what they mean. Over time though I have arrived at a better understanding of some of this forum lingo. The following are some interpretations for certain phrases that I have learned:

When someone says “The numbers don’t matter to me.”

They actually mean “I been doing this for almost two years and still haven’t been able to achieve 100 finds”

When someone says “I’m not trying to start any flaming here, but....”

They actually mean “I’m trying to start some flaming here...”

When someone says “Will you please stick to the topic”

They actually mean “I’m the only one here who is allowed to post off-topic, and if you respond to my off-topic post in a manner that disagrees with me, then you had better get back to the original topic.

When someone says “I think its time this thread is closed”

They actually mean “Too many people appear to be disagreeing with me and I don’t like it.”

When someone says, “Garmins suck”

They actually mean “I own a Magellen”

When someone says, “Magellens suck”

They actually mean “I own a Garmin”

When someone says “IMHO”

They actualy mean “aren’t I clever for using acronyms. And BTW I don’t have a humble bone in my body, and if I did I wouldn't waste it on my opinion”

Does anyone else have any special interpretations on Geocaching forum phrases ??

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me. geol4.JPG

quote:
Originally posted by sept1c_tank:

quote:
“I’m trying to start some flaming here...”

What the hell are you talking about, moron? icon_razz.gif

When someone calls me a "moron"

They actually mean that I am a moron.

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me. geol4.JPG

quote:
Originally posted by seneca:

...When someone calls me a "moron"

Hmmm... Since most of your intrepetations are opposites I think he actually called you a rocket scientist give or take an euphimism. But I could be wrong (meaning I don't think I am).

So what does "let the flames begin" really mean?

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

So what does "let the flames begin" really mean?

It actually means "I'm getting a little bored with friendly conversations about hiding tupperware containers in the woods"

"I have a disagreement with the approvers and would like to get a general opinion on this matter."

means (quite often)

"If you don't take my side, you're a bunch of wrongheaded suckups."

"I quit"

means

"Hang on while I go check out the other site.....Ewww. Okay, I'm back."

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Well the mountain was so beautiful that this guy built a mall and a pizza shack

Yeah he built an ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back -- Dar Williams

I couldn't agree more Seneca.

I’m not trying to start any flaming here, but those are losers who think their garmin or magellan is superior, Lowrance rocks, despite the numbers and no matter how many little finds they have, IMHO.

I think its time this thread is closed.

icon_biggrin.gif

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

The acronyms one can be tricky.

Like when they say, "UMC is brilliant!"

What they really mean is, "The University Medical Center is full of very intelligent people!"

icon_razz.gif

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

[This message was edited by CYBret on August 29, 2003 at 05:43 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by TMAN264:

When they say "TN/LN".

They mean that the crap in the cache they found was so bad it would make their "dogs playing poker" paint by number portrait look good if they took it home.

Make a sanity check.http://www.mi-geocaching.org/

True, a TNLN sounds a lot nicer...lol

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

I agree with everything you've said here Seneca. I especially dislike when you make one little good-natured crack, and someone blasts you for trying to de-rail a thread (Incidentally, I find it interesting that some of the people who "police" the threads post no other comments except their observation of those that are not on topic. Is that not, in fact, off-topic in and of itself?). I have also thought that forum posting takes place in the Bizzaro World, where what is said is often the opposite of what is meant.

"I'm 35 Years old, I am divorced, and I live in van down by the river!" - Matt Foley

quote:
Originally posted by Woodsters Outdoors:

hehe SLCDave...you mean those who post to complain about others who complain?

When I say "I'd like to file a complaint about the above thread", I really mean " I am bored out of my skull at work, so I am making a good natured crack that will get me blasted".

Make a sanity check.migo_sig_logo.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Woodsters Outdoors:

hehe SLCDave...you mean those who post to complain about others who complain?

Hey, you got me there, I'll admit it! icon_biggrin.gif I think you understand what I mean though.

"I'm 35 Years old, I am divorced, and I live in van down by the river!" - Matt Foley

When someone says: "I have noticed that on these forums, what people say, is often not actually what they mean."

What they actually mean is:

"I tell you all the time how smart I am, but in reality, only I think I'm that smart but I tell you anyway because it helps to inflate my already inflated ego. In reality, I'm nothing but a low life ambulance chaser and I'm not really good at that either otherwise I'd be out helping people get a fair settlement for their suffering rather than spending all my time in the forums harrassing people. I have no idea what people are saying because I don't read their posts carefully enough and even then, I'll pick the most trivial aspect of their post to focus on. Oh, and don't let me forget that I feel compelled to take discussions off topic and then blame anyone who's trying to put it back on topic as the one who took it off topic."

Thanks for starting this topic. It's a really good one. icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Jomarac5:

When someone says: "I have noticed that on these forums, what people say, is often not actually what they mean."

"I tell you all the time how smart I am, but in reality, only I think I'm that smart but I tell you anyway because it helps to inflate my already inflated ego. In reality, I'm nothing but a low life ambulance chaser and I'm not really good at that either otherwise I'd be out helping people get a fair settlement for their suffering rather than spending all my time in the forums harrassing people. I have no idea what people are saying because I don't read their posts carefully enough and even then, I'll pick the most trivial aspect of their post to focus on. Oh, and don't let me forget that I feel compelled to take discussions off topic and then blame anyone who's trying to put it back on topic as the one who took it off topic."

I didn't even hear the siren! The Forum Police must be running on Code 2 today.

--------------------

You have the right to defend yourself, even when geocaching!

quote:

"I tell you all the time how smart I am, but in reality, only I think I'm that smart but I tell you anyway because it helps to inflate my already inflated ego. In reality, I'm nothing but a low life ambulance chaser and I'm not really good at that either otherwise I'd be out helping people get a fair settlement for their suffering rather than spending all my time in the forums harrassing people.

Oh no!!! You mean there are lawyers here?!! Eww..

quote:

I have no idea what people are saying because I don't read their posts carefully enough and even then, I'll pick the most trivial aspect of their post to focus on.

Isn't that a run-on sentence?

quote:
Oh, and don't let me forget that I feel compelled to take discussions off topic and then blame anyone who's trying to put it back on topic as the one who took it off topic."

Stop distracting everyone!! Let me tell you about my nail fungus...

---------------------------------------------------

Free your mind and the rest will follow action-smiley-076.gif

quote:
Originally posted by seneca:

quote:
Originally posted by sept1c_tank:

quote:
“I’m trying to start some flaming here...”

What the hell are you talking about, moron? icon_razz.gif

When someone calls me a "moron"

_I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me._ http://www.cslaw.ca/geol4.JPG

But what do morons have to do with starting a fire???

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

WOW! icon_eek.gif Come back on the boards after a long day (with no time to waste) , and discover that I can still push that guy’s button! Glad I am trained to have a thick skin.

Anyways, here’s a few more dumb ones:

When someone says “I ‘m entitled to my opinion.”

They actually mean “You are probably right, but I’m still not going to change my opinion.”

When someone says, “Jeremy, Yo Da MAN!!!”

They actually mean “Jeremy, keep up the good work.” but....

When a guy says “Hydee, keep up the good work.”

He actually means “Hydee, I think you’re HOT!!!.”

When someone says “Well, it is Jeremy’s site”

They actually mean “I agree with you, it kinda sucks, but after all He’s Da MAN!!!”

quote:
quote:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

I've found that when they say "Shut Up RK" it means they have actually run out of witty rejoinders to the debate at hand.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shut up, RK.

Do you really want to admit that you have run out of witty rejoinders?

Oh well, I'm tired and have no sarcasm left in me tonight, so I'll admit it. Shut up RK! icon_smile.gif

pokeanim3.gif

quote:

I've read this post and all I can say is, "huh"? Did you just say something? icon_confused.gif

When someone says "If you knew how to spell I wouldn't have to re-read your post three times to understand you."

What they really mean is "I don't have the capacity to make an intelligent rebuttal to your comment. So I will derail this thread by belittling your spelling and grammar errors. Which, of course, makes me sound like an educated super genius."

39197_3500.jpg39197_3600.jpg

POWDER!!!!!!

When someone says:

We're kinda.. oh... 3000 miles away from this cache, so.... If a kind and generous cacher would please bring a plastic baggie with them on their next journey to this beautiful peak, we could SHUT people UP and hopefully not have to listen to any more of their whining. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Enjoy the view...

They really mean:

Hey, there is no problem with vacation caches! What are you talking about?

stealyourcache.gif Ever notice how anyone that caches more than you do is a maniac, while anyone that caches less than you do is an idiot? -Dru Morgan

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

When someone says "If you knew how to spell I wouldn't have to re-read your post three times to understand you."

What they really mean is "I don't have the capacity to make an intelligent rebuttal to your comment. So I will derail this thread by belittling your spelling and grammar errors. Which, of course, makes me sound like an educated super genius."

Way to miss the hyphen between "super" and "genius"...

icon_rolleyes.gif

--------------------

You have the right to defend yourself, even when geocaching!

quote:
Originally posted by carleenp:

Do you really want to admit that you have run out of witty rejoinders?

'Run out'? That would imply I was actually capable of witty rejoiners once upon a time...

Hey, I'm getting complimented in the forums! Is that allowed?

Ron/yumitori

---

Remember what the dormouse said...

quote:
Canadazuuk wrote:

WHEN A CACHER REPEATEDLY ASKS THE SAME THREE QUESTIONS OVER AND OVER AND OVER, WHAT THEY ARE REALLY SAYING IS: 'HEY MAN, I'M SMARTER THAN YOU, AND YOU ARE STUPID FOR NOT AGREEING WITH ME. FURTHERMORE, I'M JUST HERE TO STIR UP TROUBLE, AND IT'S *JUST ENTERTAINMENT*'

Hmmmm... interesting thought Zuuky, but you're talking out of your hat.

quote:
Canadazuuk wrote:

What people really mean when they put others down in a demeaning and cruel way by saying stoopid things, is that THEY THEMSELVES have a personal issue they don't want to, or are not willing to deal with.

Well, that would explain a lot of Seneca's posts. And yours as well.