What is the most valuable thing you've put in a cache?

Rubbertoe

This can either be in a cache you've hidden, or one that you have just visited.

If I had the cash, I'd be putting all sorts of nice stuff into my caches - but that isn't my reality. icon_smile.gif

So far, the best thing I've put into a cache has either been the Garmin eTrex leather (like?) case that I put in one of my own caches, or perhaps the 4-in-1 PCMCIA(?) adapter card thing for CF, SmartMedia, MMC, and Memory Stick flash memory cards that I put in my latest cache - which hasn't yet had its first finder.

Granted, the pc card will probably be borked by the cold weather by time someone finds it, but hey... icon_razz.gif

(I hope I don't get markwelled.)

flag.gif

The Toe Pages

Traded for Playdoh?!?! thats hard to believe icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

I've put a USB network card in a cache before after that I would have to say a $10.00 Mini Mag light. I was first finder to Novi Tree Treasure and there was a $20.00 gift card to REI in there for the first finder that I thought was pretty nice. I left over that amount in goods so it was nice to have the gift cert to help replace some of that.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Not so sure, Somewhat new Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

I loaded up the one cache that I've hidden with about $45 worth of new items. The most expensive where a couple of $10 nature books (Regularly $18, but I got them off a sale table) along with some $6 books (also on sale). Several visitors commented on how the cache was a nice reference library. So far only one of the books has been taken.

pokeanim3.gif

In this cache :

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=27274

We started out with six $5 gift certficates as well as a flock of other items.

I also left a nice pair of older optics in a cache and they where one of the first things to go, also in a cheap trade icon_rolleyes.gif -"Took the binoculars and left a teddy-bear frame. THANKS YOU FOR THE HUNT!!" - but hey, I am not trying to get rich at this. I also like to trade up even if I have to empty out my pockets. But then again, sometimes all ya have is all ya have and ya gotta have IT. icon_biggrin.gif

The second cache, Cathedral In The Pines, that I hid, I tried to put in some things that were more appealing to cache seekers. One item I put in there I liked, so I bought 2, was a wrist wallet from Sports Authority. It Velcros around your wrist and you can carry your cache, I mean cash, and keys in it. I just stocked up on more goodies today, ie: mini leatherman type tools, more blaze orange vests to keep my fellow cachers safe in the woods, some compass/whistle/thermometer combo key rings, a compass, blaze orange knitted caps for kids, the ever popular firsts aid kits, and a mini mag flashlight, but that's for me now, after I discovered you can take the lens end off and stick the battery end in the lens end and stand it up like a candle and light the whole tent up. Cool item. And my egg ornaments are absolutely priceless of course, because I put my heart and soul into them icon_wink.gif .

Cache you later,

Planet

Two Wrongs Don't Make A Right, But Three Lefts Do.

*umc waits for the cachers who leave thousands of dollars in caches to show up in this thread*

______________________________________________________________________________________

Not so sure, Somewhat new Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

Here's a question I've kinda wondered about. How do you trade up from an $80 pair of binoculars? I mean, if you leave an expensive item, what do you expect the cacher who is coming to leave? - his wallet?

It seems to mean that expensive items really leave little choice but to leave something cheaper. No?

Discussion.

Alan

Is alway's a silver coin or two...

Usually Merc Dimes.

I am an avid metal detectorist and have hords of Old Silver...

So, when you visit a cache that I placed, be sure to look for the Silver.

I usually, put in more as I do Maintenance also.

One cache I placed, I actually buried several silver dimes around for anyone who desired to take along a detector.

That was kinda neat.

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

Here's a question I've kinda wondered about. How do you trade up from an $80 pair of binoculars? I

I wouldn't take the binoculars since I already have binoculars but let's say there's something expensive and highly desirable that I want to trade out.

1. Provided I can remember the way back to parking, I could leave my Etrex. It's *ahem* gently used and comes preloaded with hundreds of waypoints.

2. I could leave my digital camera.

3. I could leave thousands of (Where's George) dollars. icon_wink.gif

4. I could go back to the car for a better trade item. How about a spare tire or The Club ® or a Garmin Etrex cigarette lighter adapter? icon_smile.gif

Probably a new automobile, I/O thermometer and road ice alarm. I received it as a gift and subsequently saw it in the Hammacker-Schlemmer (sp?) catalog for around $40. I didn't want to deal with installing it, so I put it in a cache.

Think of Stayfloopy, who found over 1,200 caches and puts a few wheresgeorge.com bills in each one. Now that's a bundle!

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

Here's a question I've kinda wondered about. How do you trade up from an $80 pair of binoculars? I mean, if you leave an expensive item, what do you expect the cacher who is coming to leave? - his wallet?

You are right... leaving something expensive shouldn't mean that you expect someone to trade equally for it. I guess I never made that clear any time that I've broughten it up... but yes, when I left those better things in a cache, it was more like a nice prize for the first finder - with the rest of the stuff being left for the next people that came along. Hmm... next time I do that, I'm going to make it a little clearer on the description page that I'm not trying to pressure someone into trading even for the good item. icon_smile.gif Tnx for bringing that up.

flag.gif

Deform My Head!

Most expensive thing I've left was a Palm Pilot I no longer needed. I think I traded for a stress ball or something along those lines. I was first finder to the cache in the middle of the night in some of the worst flooding Central Texas has had in a while. I had to cross a flooding creek at midnight by searching around for rocks to make stepping stones. Not my smartest hunt, but since it was so memorable I decided to leave something really nice.

--

Welcome to nowhere.nu. Now go home!

In the first cache I hid (the only one at the moment, but another should be coming soon), I put a t-shirt featuring one of the animated members of the band Gorillaz. I won a prize pack of stuff from the band after answering a Simpsons' trivia contest in the local paper; the shirt was too small for me, and it seemed like a nice item for a fellow cacher and fan of the band. It was taken by the first finder, who managed to beat another couple who really wanted it.

----

When in doubt, poke it with a stick.

In the first cache we hid, we put quite a few nice things in it. There were 2 digital cameras, one of the webcam variety, the other a broken (but fixable for about 20 bucks) Kodak DC215. 300 dollar camera at the time. The individual(s) who took those did not log their find (or what they really took) however. I was a little peeved. Also in that cache was a collectors Monopoly lunchbox, which was taken and used for another cache in our area by a nice team of cachers. There were a couple cds, a computer game, and some software in that cache also. Needless to say it was a pretty large sized cache, and we put a lot of other "typical" cache objects in it too. The difficulty on that cache was pretty high though, lots of hills (and lots of complaints from cachers that they were tired afterwards). So I think the nice loot inside was well deserved.

-Zach

-Team TSA-

migo_sig_logo.jpg

You know how I said I wish I could leave nicer stuff? Well, that is probably half because I want to be a nice guy and just put some nice stuff out there for the folks that would bother to seek my cache... but the other half of me would be doing it to watch the cache and see who lies, sneaks, and fights there way there to take one or all of the items. Kind of like a little experiment on human greed and honesty.

I mean, think about it - if you hide five different caches around your home state, each with ten $10 bills in them... you think any of them would actually have to have 10 different finders before all the cash would be gone? That'd be a miracle. icon_wink.gif

flag.gif

Deform My Head!

I work for a large consulting company ("delivering results that endure"). Ocassionally they throw you a nice plaque for a job well done ... it usually comes with a gift certificate worth about $50 redeemable at the company store. I've used three of these such occasions to "purchase" a fossil watch, a cool cross pen, and a pull-over jacket. I've placed them in three different caches of mine with specific instruction that the finder need not trade for them ... that they are finder's prizes. In most cases, people have left nicer than normal trade items but nothing you don't occasionally see in caches anyway.

I wouldn't expect people to trade up for such items, especially because they have my employer's name on them and I didn't pay for them myself.

I am working on placing a new multi-cache in Austin, Tx and the final stage is one of those bright orange Home Depot 5-gallon pails. I filled it with t-shirts, AM/FM radios, mouse pads, pens, and mechanical pencils plus my old GPS, a Magellan GPS2000. They are currently going for about $50 on eBay.

Lou Catozzi

AKA TxHiPowr

In my "Serenity" Cache I had a $20 bill for the first finder and a $10 bill for the second finder.

I just felt this would be a tough one to find and the first couple of finders should be rewarded. I'll get some of it back since Enfanta was the first finder and she still owes me a beer icon_wink.gif

This has been my favorite cache hidden so far. The logs are great! Check it out if you can. The experience is worth it...although the items are now severly reduced in value.

Salvelinus

goldfish.gif

"The trail will be long and full of frustrations. Life is a whole and good and evil must be accepted together"

Ralph Abele