I Need a Mountain Bike

Polgara

I am looking into getting a mountain bike. icon_smile.gif I don't know too much about them icon_confused.gif, started doing some research tonight. Just wondered if any other cachers out there go mountain biking, and what kind of bike and price range would you recommend to a newbie mountain biker? Do you have a rack for your bike on your car? What would be a good rack for a jeep wrangler? Comments on used mountain bikes? Feel free to share any mountain biking stories! icon_wink.gificon_cool.gif

"The more I study nature, the more I am amazed at the Creator."

- Louis Pasteur

I bought a mountain bike two years ago. Also got an air pump, speedometer, light, etc. About a month later, I bought a motorcycle. As of today, the mountain bike has a grand total of about 20 miles on it... Hopefully, that's going to change this summer...

mountain biking the only way to geocache! I have a Giant AC2. Great bike. I have front and rear suspention, hydro disc brakes, the works. it depends what kind of biking you'll be doing. cross country will only require front suspention. Other good makes are Trek and Garry Fisher. I have a rack that fits on the back of my tow bar, but you can also put it in the back of my jeep if you take off the quick release weels. Can't give you price advice, I live in Ireland where we pay doubble for everything!

my best advice is to try out a number of bikes and only consider ones on which you are comfortable. frame geometry varies from bike to bike and it will make a difference.

you will want components that wear well and move precisely and cleanly. i'm guessing that once you get the bike, you won't be upgrading components, so although it's the frame that's important, don't go cheap on drivetrain, either.

if you're dedicated to starting, biking, you will outgrow a cheap bike quickly. if you're not sure, or you aren't going to spend a lot of time on the bike, you can get away with cheap.

and me? i'm dedicated to the rocky mountain XC bikes. i have a bianchi road bike.

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.

I suggest you go to a real bike shop and not a department store. My experience is that most bikes under 500 dollars are junk and few people ride them more than a couple of times. With cycling you really get what you pay for.

To get a bike that's good you'll pay in excess of 1000 dollars but a 500 dollar bike will at least get you something that will adjust properly. I went to adjust my friends brakes on his 99 dollar bike and they wouldn't adjust. The tighter you made the cable the more the brakes arms would bend out of shape. Also by going to a bike shop you'll get a bike that actually fits you.

Good luck, I'm sure there'll be some users who have 99 dollar bikes that are the best bikes made but I've ridden daily most of my life. Don't go cheap as it's just throwing money away and you really won't know if you like it or not because you aren't really riding a bike that will work.

What ever you do please do not buy a Wal Mart bike. Do your self a favor and go to your local bike shop and at least look at the low end brand names such as Trek, Schwin, etc...

Cheap bikes are just that - cheap. They are heavy and when they break they cost you more than it did to buy the bike in the first place.

icon911.gif

Unless you've already ridden enough to know you want to invest big money, I'd buy the least expensive option.

Just like how when car manufacturers needed to breath new life into the market, they came out with minivan's to sell to station wagon buyers, then SUV's to sell to minivan buyers, and now are completing the circle by shrinking the SUV's back down to station wagon size, bike manufacturers wanted to make money too!

It's one of the liabilities of capitalism. Fortunately, Mt. Bikes have been around long enough to saturate the market and the inexpensive bikes are perfectly fine unless you're riding daily and want to spend for exotic materials that lower the weight.

I spent $60 on a $110 bike at a KMart one-day sale. I've ridden it every other weekend since beginning of winter and couldn't be happier.

One caution regarding department store buying, their assemblers aren't the best--expect to have to adjust brake tension front and rear as well as the shift points. If you spend a few hundred extra at a bike shop you can avoid this 15 minutes of work (that requires no tools as they all have finger-screwable adjustors on all the cables).

If you find yourself wanting a better bike after a few months of riding your inexpensive one, then you won't regret it. However, if you invest a few hundred (or insane amounts more) in something that just hangs in the garage--you'll be bumming!

Hope this helps,

Randy

We bought a pair of Kmart $69 bikes with a trailer for the little ones. We spend so much more time outdoors now. (That, and spring is here). We didn't need to spend $1000 on two 'good' bikes. These do just fine - they even have quick-release brakes and front shocks. Most of our riding is on trails with few hills (2 kids in tow get heavy) and our 6 year old rides her own bike everywhere.

It depends on what you want. Some people go out and buy a Suburban and others are happy with a Kia. All I know is that if I owned the Kia, my bikes wouldn't fit in the back. icon_smile.gif

bandbass.gif

Let me throw in my two cents worth. I have a Wal-Mart $99.00 bike and it suits me just fine. It was given to me as a Christmas gift with geocaching in mind. I’m not a biker, I’m a goecacher. The bike will be used almost exclusively for geocaching. If it were not for geocaching I wouldn’t have the bike. Now, to go out and spend $500.00 for a bike to go geocaching is out of the question. It boils down to either a $99.00 bike or none…… the $99.00 bike suits me just fine. But then maybe you need a status symbol.

As a former bike mechanic of 3 years, I urge you to go to a bike shop and avoid buying a bike from a department store at all costs! Its as simple as buying a decent bike assembled by a bike mechanic, and not a pile of heavy junk put together by a cashier who's never fixed the mess he's created. In the long and short run, you will be much happier and have a much more enjoyable time riding even the cheapest bike from a bike shop, than any bike you purchase at X-mart.

Any family bike shop should be willing to fit you to a correctly sized bike, as well as let you test ride a number of different types, styles, and price levels of bikes. Then you should assess the type or riding you want to do, and buy a bike that will meet your needs and budget, but above all, be comfortable and fun to ride!

Bike shops are really slow in the winter and most will have some of last years models left over in the spring, those are the real deals to be found. Bikes don't change much year to year, just paint and style, but ask about any differences in components and how they will affect real riding conditions.

Most importantly, make sure you buy a bike from a shop that is knowledgeable and friendly. High-end shops tend to be full of snobs, so make sure you find a place willing to greet you willingly and spend time finding you the right bike, not just selling you the most expensive one hanging in the window!

Here's what's wrong with a ''cheap'' bike:

#1.) Very heavy frame (not worth upgrading parts/components later).

#2.) Cheap wheel rims that ''taco'' just jumping off a curb.

#3.) Brake and deraileur components that are made of plastic and break easily (and the shops don't carry those cheap components so you either have to order them from the manufacturer or upgrade---*see #1)

Our advice:

There's tons of ''Yuppies'' who buy top-of-the-line bikes and then decide it's not for them. They sell them in the want-ads for half what they paid, or even less.

Look for a quality, light-weight framed bike. Even if the components are cheap, you can feel good about upgrading them later when you become bike-savy.

We ride an chromoly-steel Trek hardtail (21 lbs.)and an old aluminium Proflex full suspension (28 lbs.).

Also own an ancient Specialized Hardrock (our first mountain bike) which is still going strong (22 lbs.)--However, they don't make 'em like they did 20+ years ago

Bike Shop is the way to go.

Ok, you don't have to spend $500 bucks on a mountain bike at a bike shop. You can get a decent bike that will last you years and years for a little over $200. It will be assembled by someone who knows how to build a bike and will come with the store backing. You also usually get a 'tune up' after a 30 day break in period where they shop will bo over the bike a readjust everything after the cables of stretched.

Walmart bike, usually assembled by some minimum waged high school kid. Do you really want to trust that you're breaks are actually going to stop you when you're going down that hill you didn't think was going to be so steep?

As someone who's worked in a bike shop I cannot tell you how many brand new department store bikes came it to be fixed becaue they weren't put together right in the first place. Bike doesn't shift right, the brakes don't work right etc etc. So all this money you saved buying a cheap bike is going to getting it repaired.

Do you know why most bikes have less that 100 miles on them? Because people buy cheap bikes that don't fit, don't work right, and are just no fun to ride. So they sit in the garage gathering dust.

You don't have to spend a lot for a nice bike shop bike.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

quote:
Originally posted by Ce'Nedra:

i can assure you i'm a girly!

Well then, that changes EVERYTHING!

Er, no, wait... That doesn't change anything...

Grin,

Randy

PS: Department stores hire outside people to come assemble their bikes. They usually make the rounds, stopping at an individual store once or twice a week. They do however, get paid by the unit, NOT hourly--so like I said before, expect to adjust cables--but again, that's easy, not worth taking it back to the shop for, just twist the adjuster (no tools required). Oh yeah, if the department store screws it up, take it back--they stand by their products too (and you won't have to pay anything).

PPS: Unlike cars, I've found used high-end Mt. Bikes to be more expensive than new inexpensive bikes. I think the owners feel "ripped off" and want to get their money back (nevermind they figure it's hardly used).

quote:
Originally posted by RJFerret:

quote:
Originally posted by Ce'Nedra:

i can assure you i'm a girly!

Well then, that changes EVERYTHING!

Er, no, wait... That doesn't change anything...

Grin,

Randy

PS: Department stores hire outside people to come assemble their bikes. They usually make the rounds, stopping at an individual store once or twice a week. They do however, get paid by the unit, NOT hourly--so like I said before, expect to adjust cables--but again, that's easy, not worth taking it back to the shop for, just twist the adjuster (no tools required). Oh yeah, if the department store screws it up, take it back--they stand by their products too (and you won't have to pay anything).

Plus, don't forget about the bang up walmart staff that will take the time to fit you on your bike.

george

39570_500.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by jhirsch:

Bikes don't change much year to year, just paint and style,

I wasn't going to reply to this thread because it seems like all the bases have been covered. Then I read the above quote and felt the need to respond.

If you look at the history of the mountain bike you will see that there have been significant changes over the years. Just trying to keep up with all the changes is mind boggling.

I will now relate to you a true story that perfectly illustrates my point.

I bought a mountain bike circa 1994 and a couple of years ago decided to "upgrade" it by installing a suspension fork. Then I realized that I would have to buy a new headset and stem to accomodate the fork. The fork wouldn't accept cantilever brakes, only V-brakes so I would have had to buy new brakes. Guess what? My brake levers wouldn't work with the V-brakes so I would have had to buy new levers too. Further complicating matters I realized that my Shimano Alivio rapid-fire shifters were one piece with the brake lever so I would have had to buy new shifters too! I checked my latest Nashbar catalog for shifters and found that 7 speed shifters basically don't exist anymore, so I would have had to get an eight speed shifter. An eight speed shifter means a new eight speed rear cassette which means a new eight speed rear derailleur. An eight speed cassette won't fit on a seven speed hub so I would have had to get a new rear hub, which means a complete rebuild of the rear wheel. So, needless to say my simple "upgrade" would have wound up costing me more than what I spent on the bike ($400.00) simply because bikes DO change from year to year. I did not "upgrade" and I have been riding that same bike ever since. So whatever you say, don't say bikes don't change much year to year. Take it from me, they do.

"Wise men talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something."

-- Plato

[This message was edited by Geo Quest on April 06, 2003 at 01:42 AM.]

[This message was edited by Geo Quest on April 06, 2003 at 01:42 AM.]

[This message was edited by Geo Quest on April 06, 2003 at 01:45 AM.]

i can't stress to you the importance of going with the bike shop. even though the brake and shifters ARE adjustable from "finger controls", your adjustments aren't worth squat if the other things are out of place.

sometimes you get a decent bike decently put together at a department store, but unless you know the difference, it's kind of a crap shoot.

THAT said, when you get to the bike shop, tell them you want something inexpensive. they may want to sell you a sturdier bike. listen to their opinions, and GET THE ONE THAT FEELS BEST TO YOU. bike shops will usually let you try them out, too, and if you don't exactly know what you want this is critical.

this way, you'll end up with a bike 1)in your price range, 2)that fits you, and 3)is put together well- bike shops will also keep your bike in adjustment for you.

Being a "girly" myself, I felt the need to reply to you...........

My husband and I have used "Walmart" bikes forever......until this year.

It doesn't hurt to visit a bike shop.........I would visit more than one. You'll need to be sized to your bike....Short torso, long legs? Long torso, short legs? For basic riding on paved or easy trails, you won't need all the fancy shocks etc. Do you want a womans bike or a mans bike? (I got a mans bike, they just look better)

Another thing to consider is the weight of a bike. Will it be easy for you to lift up onto a rack? Walmart is starting to carry lightweight bikes, but not like the bike shops do...........

We just bought ours a month ago. We ended up going with the Specialized name. They make nice bikes anywhere from $300 on up. I got the $400 model and my husband got the $600 Rockhopper. I can tell you from riding around on the new ones, it makes a WORLD of difference when you're going up a hill. You'd be amazed how much easier it is to get up a hill with a lightweight bike.........

Good luck!

Children are natural mimics who act like their parents despite every effort to teach them good manners.

...not to mention you're supporting your local merchants. i do all my bike business through the shops that sponsor the bike areas and races that i enjoy. they're also willing to give me a break on some items, figuring that i could shop through catalogs. i expect to pay a little more locally, but when it gets to be a big difference i 'splain it to the merchant, and he usually at least splits the difference, if not absorbs it.

incidentally, i'm also willing to get my windsheild repaired by a local company, even if it costs more. and i prefer local produce when i can get it.

quote:
Originally posted by Lazyboy & Mitey Mite:

Well Ce'Nedra the question is do you want advice about mountain bikes from cyclists or geocachers? To me that's almost like asking a cyclist what's the best gps.

No one ever regrets buying good equipment.

hey! some of us geocachers are apparently pretty serious about cycling. i bet if you were a cyclist and had questions about GPS, there would be people in some cycling forum who in fact could give good advice.

quote:
Originally posted by Rich in NEPA:

_ _

Geez, I spend more for a set of tires for my bike than some of you spend on a bike! icon_rolleyes.gif

Cheers ...

_~Rich in NEPA~_

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/1132_3300.gif

__--- People do not "drive" cars, they steer them. People do not "ride" bicycles, they drive them. ---__

Nice lightspeed. I wouldn't even begin to tell them how much a nice set of wheels cost.

The most efficent machine in the world is a man on a bike.

george

39570_500.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by enfanta:

If you're looking to save money, you probaby don't need the shocks.

Before I blew my $60 I did my research via bike links on the web. I was seriously considering a hardtail... But nowadays it seems you have to pay more to NOT get shocks!

I went with the $60 full suspension (you can always simply tighten it to the max so it doesn't undermine your pedalling). Of course it still adds some weight--but that helps too, I WANT the exercise, otherwise I'd walk!

Enjoy,

Randy

Wow, when I saw this post I thought "Cool, I can offer some advice" But I see you people have got it all covered!

I do have one thing to say about walmart bikes vs. bike shop bikes...

Walmart bikes may apear to be just as good as bike shop bikes, but beneth that "Schwinn" name, is a cheap, heavy poorly constucted frame and parts. I have owned three walmart bikes before purchasing a Trek 6500. All three of them had some major part break and had to be returned. I have had the Trek for 1 1/2 year, with no major problems.

Another thing, try this experiment. Write down a list of questions you have about bikes (size, frame composition, quality, ect, even which is better, walmart or bike shop bikes.) Then take that list to walmart, go to the bike section, and find someone there to ask those question too, and write down their answers. Now go to a bike shop and ask the same question. Go home and compare the answers. I think you'll find out that the people at walmart know nothing about bikes, and the people at the bike shop will help you with any questions you have.

The Mountain Bike Guy from Joplin MO

------------------------------------

Long Live Long Rides

quote:
Originally posted by Geo Quest:

quote:

Bikes don't change much year to year, just paint and style,

I wasn't going to reply to this thread because it seems like all the bases have been covered. Then I read the above quote and felt the need to respond.

If you look at the history of the mountain bike you will see that there have been significant changes over the years. Just trying to keep up with all the changes is mind boggling.

I absolutely agree with you on the changes in mountain biking technology and lack of backwards compatibility. When I worked in a shop, I saw your story countless times, and 95% most of the time, a new bike was simply a cheaper and better option. That's exactly the prime reason I don't think buying a used bike is a good option, even if it hasn't been ridden much in the past 5 years, finding parts for it is going to be hard.

My comment about how bikes don't change much year to year was based on the comment that followed about shopping last years models for a better deal. If you've ever assembled bikes on a multiple-year same-model basis, you'd know that bikes actually don't change all that much on a year to year basis.

However, string a few of those single years together or about 6-8 in the case of your particular bike, and yes, you'll have plenty of trouble up-grading your bike (you wouldn't try upgrading a computer 6 years old!). It should be mentioned though, that technology advances have slowed down significantly since threadless stems, v-brakes (now disk brakes), decent front suspension, and 9-speed have all become commonplace on all but lowest prince-point bikes.

As far as buying a used bike things to look for

at least 8 speed rear cluster

at least 1 1/8" head tube, threadless stem

NO NO NO U brake, (very old so unlikly)

Those are the biggies. Any good frame with 1 1/8 headset can fit with most modern parts. Disk brakes being the exception but I really doubt you're going to go there.

george

39570_500.jpg

I agree with the bike shop vs walmart post.

Arm yourself with the some hard questions you ask yourself first. What kind of riding do you intend to do? Errands around town, dirt roads, technical single track, etc. how long will you ride each time out -- a few hours around town, all day out on dirt roads, overnight trips? Then go to bike shop (wear clothes you can ride in when shopping -- not jeans.) The folks at the bike shop will help you select a bike that best suits your needs, and then will adjust and fit it to your body. Start inexpensive to see if you will use it enough to justify a larger investment. After riding a while you will know what kind of additional features are important in your next bike and which are not.

When you are ready to upgrade, some bike shops take trade-ins, some don't. If they don't take trade-ins they will offer suggestions on how to sell it (or donate to a charity). Many bike shops offer free classes on basic maintenance and riding techniques. They will know of local bike clubs that sponsor group rides and clinics. Walmart will do none of these things. They just sell cheap bikes real cheap.

========================================

Friends don't let Friends geocache drunk.

quote:

(you wouldn't try upgrading a computer 6 years old!)

Not to go too off-topic, but why not? Let me check:

Kickstart version 39.106

Workbench version 39.29

Copyright ? 1985-1992

Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

All Rights Reserved.

I'm not sure if I got my current Amiga 4000 in '92 or not, but my prior Amiga was from '87 (and still gets used for games). (Ack! That means my '91 car is older than my Amiga.)

There are alternatives to continuous over-spending (shh, don't tell the capitalists)!

{wink},

Randy

There are too many variables to this question to give a simply answer.

When I was in high school, I needed (wanted) a bike. I had no money, so I bought one from Wal-Mart for $70 bucks. I used it for a few years, primarily on the road but also on trails. I did no heavy mountain biking. One day, I was biking down the road and hit a grate. The bike did an endo and broke the frame. It was time for a new bike.

By this time, I had a little more money to spend and I knew two things. First, I liked riding a bike. Second, I would be using it for trail riding.

I've bought two bikes since; a Trek and a Schwinn. I still have both and like them both equally.

My point is, what kind of bike you want and where you buy it depends on you. If you don't have much cash, go to Wal-Mart. If you're not sure that you will ride it much, go to Wal-Mart. If you don't think you will use it on-trail, you might be OK with a Wal-Mart bike.

As has been addressed above, if you buy a department store bike, you will have to make all adjustments yourself. Again, these are easy and you will want to know how these adjustments are made even if you buy a 'bike shop' bike. The guys in the bike shop are not going to be on-trail when you need to fix something.

quote:
Originally posted by sbell111:

When I was in high school, I needed (wanted) a bike. I had no money, so I bought one from Wal-Mart for $70 bucks. I used it for a few years, primarily on the road but also on trails. I did no heavy mountain biking. One day, I was biking down the road and hit a grate. The bike did an endo and broke the frame. It was time for a new bike.

My point is, what kind of bike you want and where you buy it depends on you. If you don't have much cash, go to Wal-Mart. If you're not sure that you will ride it much, go to Wal-Mart. If you don't think you will use it on-trail, you might be OK with a Wal-Mart bike.

We bought two $69 bikes from Kmart because they suit us. If we were riding hard trails or racing, we would have spent more money for a better bike. There is nothing wrong with a sub-$100 bike if it will do what you want. Anyone saying you should spend more doesn't really know if your riding style needs it or not.

bandbass.gif

I have an almost 20 year old schwinn sierra that i gave 80 bucks for 15 years ago. I can still get parts for it at the local shop. Get whatever makes you happy and do not worry that somebody pays more for a set of tires. Get what makes you happy. I would have no problem buying a bike from Wally World to see if this was something I was going to like. Ride it for a while to see how you and bikes are going to get along. You can always sell it and buy something nicer down the road.

Bender

"Impress no one"

I would have trouble buying a Wally-World bike, for the simple fact that I can't justify to myself riding a bike that weighs more than I do! icon_smile.gif

I live not too far from a highly popular mtn biking area, where some regional/national competitions have been held. While some of the trails don't require too much in the way of suspension, it certainly does help. And with some of the riding I have done, a lighter bike than the Trek I do have would be a god-send. Carbon fiber...not only strong, but very lightweight. Mmmmm.... My next option for a bike when I pretzel this frame is something along the lines of a Specialized bike.

Brian

Team A.I.

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

Anyone saying you should spend more doesn't really know if your riding style needs it or not.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ihazeltine/bandbass.gif

On that note, does anyone NEED anything more than a yellow etrex?

It's a catch 22, you don't need a nice bike if you don't ride much, but maybe you don't ride much because you have a cheap bike.

It all depends on price range, if you're willing to spend a couple hundred bucks, there is no reason you can't buy a reliable bike from a bike shop. If you can only spend less than $100, well, maybe, but I'd be tempted to buy a used Trek or equivalent.

george

39570_500.jpg

Let me preface my advice by saying this. I'm an avid biker. I ride thousands of miles a year. Although, those miles are almost exclusively on a road bike. Years ago looking for a bike to get me to those college classes in winter I purchased a Schwinn Frontier for about $250. The main selling point for me was cost and the abnormally large front chainring. I was used to riding road bikes and hated all those useless tiny front sprockets. It's now almost 7 years later and I still use it, because found the exact right bike for me. Cheap, because i knew i wouldn't use it much, but perfect for what i wanted.

As for you I think you have to ask youself some basic questions. And don't kid yourself(be honest).

Take this evaluation at Gary Fisher--Matchmaker

It's my experience that what keeps people from cycling is that it seems difficult. The main reason it seams difficult is Resistance. Resistance is caused by many factors (i.e. weight, rolling resistace, wind, and grade) since you can't always ride downhill and with the wind. The best way to make cycling more enjoyable is by trimming weight and Rolling resistance(Tire size) the thinner they are the fast you go, generally. the key is to balance the smallest tire size and lightest bike you'd feel comfortable riding given the terrain you'd spend the most time on.

It's my guess you should probably get something like this..Trek 7300

StrongBad Cacher

Anywhere But Here --->my website

...On a scale from one to awsome, I'm super great!

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

It's a catch 22, you don't need a nice bike if you don't ride much, but maybe you don't ride much because you have a cheap bike.

Howdy, G&M! I couldn't have expressed it better! I've known quite a few people who really thought they wanted to ride, bought cheap bikes and then were so frustrated with shoddy components, bad shifting, crappy brakes, excessive weight, parts breakage and poor reliability, that they gave it up in no time.

Like the saying goes: "Cheap is cheaper." And I also believe that the typical excuse, "I don't wanna spend a lot of money 'cuz I don't know if I'm gonna like biking," really means: "I don't know what the hell I want!" Once they learn that to get good at something means lots of time and deliberate effort, that becomes the end of that.

Cheers ...

~Rich in NEPA~

--- "Sweat cleanses from the inside. It comes from a place a shower will never reach." ---

Being as I’m the first one to suggest Wal-mart & never being one not to practice what I preach, I went & bought one. $68.68 plus tax. Suspension works great, handles great & easily adjust to my satisfaction. Also has a lifetime warranty on the frame & forks. It’s lighter than my old Ross that’s 20 years old but still heavier than Titanium I’m sure. I’m guessing mid to high 20’s but I have no way to tell for sure plus it’s not that big of an issue with me. I checked all the bolts to make sure they were tight (common sense would dictate you do this on any bike) and they were, (maybe their assembler used to work at a bike shop?) adjusted the “quick adjust” seat height to my liking, used a 9/16” wrench to adjust the seat pivot, handle bars were fine & off I went. The only disappointment with it were the brakes when they got wet as it poured on me before I got back to the truck. A brake shoe upgrade wouldn’t hurt but they weren’t so bad I couldn’t live with it.

I’m sure this bike in no way compares to the more expensive one’s and since I’ve never ridden one I can’t give a true comparison but it will do all the demands I’ll have for caching & the occasional ride when I go to the coast. I’ve never driven a Bentley either but just can’t imagine where it could be that much more of a performer than my 5 year old Silverado...plus I’d just drag the bottom out on old gravel roads caching!

Your mileage may vary & if spending more for tires than most do bikes is your thing or if you just have to have the best (or can afford the best) for whatever reason then so be it. I personally can’t justify spending a lot of money on something that’s not gonna make me money, but then I couldn’t afford to anyway!

It just boils down to the fact that a "Poor man's got poor way's"! icon_wink.gif