what the f__ is going on here?

For those of you who know of my efforts to get 6 Yellowstone virtuals listed, (see this thread.)

http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=3000917383&m=2180944054

There are two new Yellowstone virtuals listed today:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=22731

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=22729

These are two of my caches!!! The coordinates, the titles and the cache wording are mine, with few variations. After more than two months of just trying to get a response from admin. these two stolen caches are listed. Poof! They belong to a thief. Yes, I'm pissed!! I'm seeing red. I'd like to punch someones lights out. This is not what this game is supposed to be about. Maybe I'll get calmed down in a while, but this is the kind of stuff that drives people away.

Not sure what up...but I think you have issues even though I thought your original 6 should be one or two virtuals.

Have you communicated with this placer? Maybe its just a coincidence on their part that they had a similar idea. But the fact that these were approved and yours were not, would fire me up as well!

I just caught the wording thing...that's scary!

Try to contact Jeremy again. He's responded to me after several attempts.

Good Luck!

Smoochnme

goldfish.gif

"Only when the last tree is cut,

and the last stream is polluted,

and the last fish is caught,

will we realize that you can't eat the money"

It's no coincidence. Here is the new cache listed today.

Yellowstone - Lakeside

N 44° 31.803 W 110° 17.840

Scratching the surface of Yellowstone's beauty

Send me an e-mail that says what the subject of the sign is. Any "finds" made without providing the correct answer may be deleted.

Don't post answers here even if encrypted.

Here is my cache listed in March.

Yellowstone - Lake

N 44° 31.803 W 110° 17.840

Scratching the surface of Yellowstone's beauty.

Send me an e-mail that says what the subject of the sign is. Any ''finds'' made without providing the correct answer may be deleted.

It's no coincidence! The other one is the same. Admin won't answer my e-mails, and they've all been very politely worded and spaced at least a week apart. I've been trying since the first week in March to get them listed.

quote:
Originally posted by belleterre:

These are two of my caches!!! The coordinates, the titles and the cache wording are mine, with few variations. After more than two months of just trying to get a response from admin. these two stolen caches are listed. Poof! They belong to a thief. Yes, I'm pissed!! I'm seeing red. I'd like to punch someones lights out. This is not what this game is supposed to be about. Maybe I'll get calmed down in a while, but this is the kind of stuff that drives people away.

Considering that the cache 'placer' seems to reside near London, England, I have a feeling that there is some mistake not on his part but on the part of the committee that approves caches, or inputs the information into the system, or modifies it.

When one clicks on treehugger's info, it states that he/she has hidden four caches, but only your two virts are showing. I have a feeling this is a problem perpetrated by the computer system and the folks that input data at Geocaching.com.

With the wording, etc. being identical, it seems too much of a coincidence. How would anyone be able to discover how you had worded your submission?

I know you're upset, but take a deep breath. I have a feeling that this will all iron out. Just be patient and keep emailing the management.

----------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

GeoGadgets Team Website

Comics, Video Games and Movie Fansite

It's not whether or not you pick your nose that matters, but where you put the booger...

This whole thing has now become pathetic. The complete and total lack of response from the administration to this is utterly disrespectful. Its what I would expect from my telephone company or my bank. In my mind, the credibility of geocaching.com is dropping faster than the value of Enron shares. They know our concerns and instead of offering an explanation, they offer silence. That is no way to build trust and credibility. Its time to start looking at some other geocaching sites.

You may not agree with what I say, but I will defend, to your death, my right to say it!

Boy this sounds like a mess...but I think you may have it a bit wrong, there is no committee. You got one or two guys doing everything and one of them is not around right now. Take a breath and try again. They may have just missed this issue while handling another.

2573_200.jpg

quote:
Originally Take a breath and try again. They may have just missed this issue while handling another.

When this matter was first raised, I had the same feeling as you. Busy people... there must be a reasonable explanation... they will get around to telling us..... But now it is obvious that many, including myself have e-mailed directly to Jeremy and still have received no explanation of any kind. This has been going on for months. It is now abundantly clear: the issue is being purposfully ignored - and we don't know why (I suspect it may have something to do with behind the scenes efforts to lobby the NPS but who knows?). I'm sorry, but this whole thing smells real bad and a deep breath won't make it smell any better.

You may not agree with what I say, but I will defend, to your death, my right to say it!

First off, sorry for the long wait on this one. There are 2 of us full time on the site and the approvers take up many hours of their time trying to keep up with the caches. There are many, many, things that go on behind the scenes to make everything look like it is running smoothly on the front end.

We've approved the old 6 virtuals and archived the two new ones.

I had no issue with this, to be honest. It was just a manner of TIME - TIME_AVAILABLE which came out in the negative. After this post, however, I'm tempted to ban virtual caches altogether, but I digress.

I'm posting a new post shortly about Locationless caches, which will cover virtual caches as well. These are restrictions on them.

Jeremy

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

I would like to accept this explanation at face value, but it is really difficult to if you follow this and the original thread. here

Jeremy, does appear to follow these forums closely and often responds to concerns raised in a prompt manner.

I think we now have a few clues as to what is really happening:

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Irish:

.... I'm tempted to ban virtual caches altogether, but I digress.

I'm posting a new post shortly about Locationless caches, which will cover virtual caches as well. These [sic] are restrictions on them.

Jeremy

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

Members are not required to create or maintain virtuals. They can be created and controlled centrally. (for example - 700,000 NGS Benchmarks). Points of Interest Signs located in National Parks would be ideal for this and I am sure there are methods of collecting exact co-ordinates on these in a mass manner.

It will be interesting to see what is coming down the pipeline.