How do you approach someone for permission?

Searching through the forums I've found a lot of topics about whether getting permission is a good idea and who to talk to, but I have a slightly different question.

I think most people will agree that getting permission, if possible, is a good thing. In your experiences hiding Geocaches, have you developed any tips for talking to landowners or park staff about hiding caches on their lands? Any success stories or techniques that really seem to make them realize that Geocaching is a GOOD thing for their land and not a huge risk?

I'm thinking along the lines of methods of communcation, things you give them to tell them about Geocaching, anything really. Hopefully we can help each other out; has there ever been a push to get some sort of semi-official landowner information packet about the sport? Maybe I just missed it in the search results... sorry if I did. icon_wink.gif

I've wondered the same thing. Does the disclaimer on the actual cache page protect the land owner? Does that depend on the state you're in? Can you, the cache placer be held liable if a sue-happy cacher gets hurt on private property?

Sheesh, I should have went to law school!

OG

Prophetically Challenged

quote:
Originally posted by Og's outfit:

I've wondered the same thing. Does the disclaimer on the actual cache page protect the land owner? Does that depend on the state you're in? Can you, the cache placer be held liable if a sue-happy cacher gets hurt on private property?

I'm assuming that permission has been granted. I have seen private land where the owner doens't mind people using it with permission but keeps no tresspassing signs around in an attempt to protect themselves should a tresspasser get hurt. But in this day and age where people can sue for hot coffee or sue a gas station for a dance club fire simply because they sold tickets there and allowed parking, I believe anyone can get sued for anything.

The point is that even if you successfully defend yourself against a lawsuit, the financial expense, time and worry still make an innocent person a loser.

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

I got permission for this cache on private land owned by the Audubon Society.

I went about it by writing them and telling them about caching. I explained what it was and addressed the benefits of having a cache there, such as bringing in new people etc., but also addressed any possible concerns such as people trampling on the land and creating trails etc. I told them that cachers tend to be outdoors oriented, that I would avoid placing a cache where trails could be created, and promised that I would move or remove the cache if problems arose with no questions asked. I also made it a nature theme cache to fit the environment and stocked it up well. As it turned out, they were as excited about having a cache as I was about placing it. For everytime I thanked them for letting me place it, they thanked me for putting it there! A member of the organization helped me place it in an area where it wouldn't cause concerns.

So, I think that a polite phone call or letter explaining things and promising to be responsible for any possible problems can go a long way. Who knows, you might find that the place you are thinking of would love to have a cache, and if not, well.... then you move on to the next idea!

pokeanim3.gif

quote:
I don't.

So, have you never placed a cache on private land where you thought it would be concern? Or do you not care about that? Or are you of the thought that if it is public land, permission isn't required (a view that I respect and am still undecided on)? Or other?

Just curious! I figure there are many interesting takes on this and your response of "I don't" made me wonder what your response really was (in more detail)! frog.gif

pokeanim3.gif

Usually caches I have seen that are on private land have permission from the land owners to be there, but if I DID go after one of them, I would ask first, no doubt about it.

I have found that with Benchmarks on private property I take a little different approach:

"Good morning, I am doing an Independent Geodetic Marker Recovery and Documentation today and I am looking for a historical survey marker that I believe was placed on your property some 40-50 years ago. I would just like to take a picture and record the coordinates for a dot-com website that keeps track of these markers. I was wondering if it would be okay with you if I just took a quick look around back?"

I also have an official looking ID tag hanging around my neck on a lanyard.

It sounds a whole lot better than "I am playing a game and want to walk all over your backyard looking for a little round disc, okay?". Most people are thrilled to hear that they might be living on top of "something historic" and might even know about it. One guy lead me to the marker and then also pointed out where the two reference marks were at as well.

i've had very good luck with explaining the project simply and asking nicely. i include information about how much traffic they can expect based on other caches in the area, and assure they that if they decide they don't want it there anymore i can come get it in a trice.

as for benchmarking, i don't pretend to be official when i ask for permission. i DO explain seriously that hunting these landmarks is a hobby and that i'd appreciate being able to see the one in their yard. more often than not, they are interested to how i found them (listed on the USGS database) and i have to repeat the "why" part a lot. sometimes they're stil confused and think i'm from the government. whatever.

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.