Caching in Orange Alert

TubaTwo

I know there has been some discussion of caches being called in as suspicious packages and being examined by a bomb squad. I've read some of the past forum topics about a couple of caches that caused quite a ruckus.

Last week, I hunted a semi-local cache that was right next to the fence of an armory. The cache was less than 100 feet from a parking area for military vehicles. This cache was also near a park in such a way that it would be difficult to be discreet about looking for the cache on a nice day when the park was full of people.

I enjoyed hunting the cache and I was able to do it on a grey day where my caching partners and I could find it without raising the suspicion of Geomuggles. I'm also worried that this cache may become a black eye for Geocaching in the area if someone decides to call the police about suspicious behavior and a container near the armory.

Should I e-mail the cache placer and relay my concerns?

Catch 22. Why did they put a park near an armory? Caching is a valid activiy in a park.

The Terrorism alerts though make it more touch and go on things like this.

Caches NEAR but not on dams are ok, but you better be willing to explain youself when you are approached. These days just fishing off a dadgum will get you approached. It's not just geocaching that causes the problems. It's the alert and terrorism.

Actually everyone would do well to remember that. Life with terrorism is still ok. It's the terrorism that is causing the problems. It's not the boating, caching, fishing, and hiking that are the problem. These are all perfectly normal activites.

==============================

Wherever you go there you are.

I agree with Renegage Knight.....what we do is legal......so don't be paranoid.....unless you take medication for it......then it's ok to be paranoid......wait....someone has tapped into my computer.......I think they are after me!! Maybe I should quit using this computer because a terrorist used one at some point.....

If the current cache is in a legal spot....then don't start the hand wringing.....

Earth First!!! We'll cache the other planets later!!

Just because it is in a park does not mean it is ok.

What if a cache is placed on the fenceline of a park next to a military installation. GPSrs are accurate to roughly 20 feet. That means half of that area is on the wrong side of the fence. A cacher could conceivably hop the fence thinking it is on the other side and be trespassing.

The same goes for parks that are adjacent to railroad property.

bandbass.gif

I think the funny part is how we were so worried they were going to blow dams in Iraq and it never happened. It must seem like it is more possible here than in some third world country that is run by a crazed group with a just as crazed group running around fighting against the first group.

I often just find myself scratching my head over what our government worries about. I wish they were as concerned about fighting my high tax bill and government waste. They should stop and question those government officals that are wandering around government offices and ask them what they are up to. Talk about being up to no good.

Before all the hand wringing gets out of control....remember, an armoury is NOT a military instalation. It is a govt building. If it is legal to walk or ride a bike where the cache is at.....quit being so worried. If questioned, simply tell whoever is questioning you what your doing. I swear the worry warts in the country are as bad as the several families I support with my taxes that won't work. (And all they want is more.)

Earth First!!! We'll cache the other planets later!!

quote:
I often just find myself scratching my head over what our government worries about. I wish they were as concerned about fighting my high tax bill and government waste. They should stop and question those government officals that are wandering around government offices and ask them what they are up to. Talk about being up to no good

You picked the wrong state to live in with these concerns. MD government is the pits.

ok, i just figure that if the cache could be either in the park OR on the railroad tracks, i'll assume park. park or military base? park. park or posted land? park.

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.

quote:
Originally posted by mogolloyd:

You picked the wrong state to live in with these concerns. MD government is the pits.

Thanks for reminding me. Tell me something I don't know. But at least it is south of the Mason-Dixon line. But no it is not the fine Commonwealth of Virginia. I just keep thinking that everyday I am here is one day closer to when I move.