During The Blackout, I...

I called friends in California and had them read the forum posts to me. Then I dictated my responses for them to post. Meanwhile, I used my GPSr's backlight to stare longingly at CarleenP's avatar which, fortunately, I had printed out shortly beforehand. Later on, I watched hamsters breed.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house.

watched it on TV, with all my lights on, my computer hooked up to Geocaching.com, the air conditioner going and a cold one sitting on the desk in front of me.

But, man, did I ever sympathize with those poor folks....hehehehe.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

quote:
I called friends in California and had them read the forum posts to me. Then I dictated my responses for them to post. Meanwhile, I used my GPSr's backlight to stare longingly at CarleenP's avatar which, fortunately, I had printed out shortly beforehand. Later on, I watched hamsters breed.

I'm not sure it is good for you to be alone in the dark. Maybe you should buy an emergency generator! Better yet, interrupt those hamsters, get them on the treadmill and hook it up to the generator! icon_smile.gif

pokeanim3.gif

[This message was edited by carleenp on August 15, 2003 at 06:51 PM.]

quote:
watched it on TV, with all my lights on, my computer hooked up to Geocaching.com, the air conditioner going and a cold one sitting on the desk in front of me.

More or less I did the same thing. I figured it was God getting back at them for laughing at me last Decemeber when we lost power (& heat) for a week due to the ice storm that hit central NC

E

Back in 1965 during another "Great Blackout on the Eastern Seaboard", there was a mini-babyboom of which I was apart. icon_smile.gif So in honor of that great event, my wife and I couldn't help but celebrate as well, this 37 (almost 38) years later. LOL

Actually, we didn't celebrate... I simply watched TV.

Kirk out.

i had a hard time getting home last night but the power was on here. i had 5 site visits to do in manhattan today and cancelled. lauren called out sick. off we went, hit two virtuals and 2 regular caches. i have the ac on, but nothing else...well the laptop. it was strange to see the silloutte of nyc with only a few lights on.

Worked last nite, stocking shelves 10pm to 7am, with little light to work with, and had brought my own flashlight from home. Low on gas too, and used some gas from the lawn mower gas can. Had wrapped the frig in styrofoam to keep it cold. Power came back on before 2pm Detroit time. Had only the fridge's circuit breaker on. Could not use the Internet from my cellpone-laptop connection.

--------------------------------------------------

My Old posts as Geoffrey

My Current Post as GOT GPS?

My profile

My Home Page about what is GPS

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

You know your a Geocache addict when your power goes out, and you have to call your friend from out of state to read the forum post. PS. I've heard hamsters are easily addictive

Unless someone had the waypoints already downloaded and the information readily available on some caches, without power you couldn't exactly look them up...

However, there might be a cacher or 2 out there utilizing a 'Unexpected Multi-Region Power Outage' PQ, and had everything in place on both GPS/PDA before the juice was cut. icon_biggrin.gif

Brian

Team A.I.

worked 30 hours straight handling the commercial burglaries and auto break ins that "didn't happen." they did. bloomy tells tall tales!!

great city. 21.5 hours ot and dead on my feet.

sleep time

lower east side just got power back now 2130 hours 8-15-2003

robbie

wings_flag.gif

A family that Geocaches together... eventually gets wet.

required reading

My first bible

Great Orienteering Site!

PERSONAL PROTECTIVE MEASURES AGAINST INSECTS AND OTHER ARTHROPODS OF MILITARY SIGNIFICANCE

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

quote:
Originally posted by Chris&Cindy:

Pointed and laughed a lot. icon_wink.gif

See? Sometimes you folk who live in states that haven't yet discovered the benefits of electricity or indoor plumbing are at a distinct advantage. icon_wink.gif

LOL, at least we know how many toasters we can plug in before we shut down the power plant. icon_wink.gif

When in doubt...hit it with a big hammer.

During the Blackout, I yelled at the TV. All the stations that I get in the backwater that I live in showed the Blackout in the NE.... like we have never had one in the west, there are more people in the NE, but the one that covered the most area was in the West in 1998. The major news networks think that if anything happens on the east coast that it is more important then what happened on the west coast. Did the west coast really have to listen to the blackout of the NE from 2 pm to 8 pm on the night of the blackout? Sorry for venting, but just because the population isn't as high doesn't mean that we don't matter. I would have rather listened to or watched something other then the blackout and how to handle it. I understand that many people partied, good choice.

HappyFrog

I was on my way to pick up some caches when WLS radio out of Chicago reported the blackout. I had my wife turn on the TV news back home just in case things were going to get ugly.

Later, while hiking down a bluff to a cache my cellphone rang. It was a friend in Detroit who has me as her "emergency contact." She wanted to know what was happening, was it a terrorist attack, and how wide spread it was. I assured her that it was an apocalyptic nightmare and that gasoline was going for $10.00 a gallon and toilet paper was being used as currency. It was all a part of an Amish plot to take over the world.

Gotta watch them sneaky lil' bearded guys!

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

Got yelled at by people with AC, Lights, Refrigerators, Telephones, & Everything else working about them not being able to get websites in NYC & points NE.

Also I got yelled at because we were somehow shutting their computer off every 60 seconds.

Mainly I was unaffected. Being yelled at is my job.

They say this universe is bound to blow,

I say we crank up the Calypso Control!

~Jimmy Buffett

~Someday I Will~