Why is this site more popular then the other site?

Broncoholics

Our family learned all about goecaching on the "other site". We found a lot of caches and even hid a few before Upinyachit knew about this one.

Since we learned all about caching on the other site and that was all we knew, we were hooked. Then we received an email informing us about this site. Now we are members of both geocaching websites and really really hooked! We like them both and have a lot of fun, too!

This site seems to have a lot more members and some very interesting topics on the forums. I wonder why there isn't more posts and replies on the forums over there? icon_confused.gif

Why do you think this site is more populated?

Duane

Upinyachit

icon_smile.gif

psign.gif

Our feet go where the caches are! feet.gif

Well, first there are a few "sites", but why this one is the biggest and most populated i dont know.

my guess is:

geocaching.com has many features and its pretty user freindly.(IMHO)

And of course this site has the most users(and most cache listings), so if your a newbie and need help you can ask a question and get answered quickly. If you check the sites and look for a cache to seek, what are the chances the nearest one will be a least listed here. icon_confused.gif

whack.gif

quote:
Originally posted by upinyachit:

I wonder why there isn't more posts and replies on the forums over there? icon_confused.gif

Thats because I'm not over there icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gificon_razz.gif

Seriously I never heard about the 'other site' that your talking about. Could you please post a link so that I can check it out?

Thanks

______________________________________________________________________________________

The 'idiot' who should be banned because he likes to spend all day annoying people while drinking beer.

Did a search but there were all sorts of site there.

Could you give me some clues, coordinates maybe? icon_biggrin.gif

______________________________________________________________________________________

The 'idiot' who should be banned because he likes to spend all day annoying people while drinking beer.

With the a's yes and I got the 'a moderator will have to aprove this' deal so I added the @

I think that is very interesting that it is filtered. I can't really see a reason why since this site blows that one away by hemispheres..

i think the reason given is that ppl (promoting there i guess) were spamming messages(hate mail) onto the forums.

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

With the a's yes and I got the 'a moderator will have to aprove this' deal so I added the @

I think that is very interesting that it is filtered. I can't really see a reason why since this site blows that one away by hemispheres..

whack.gif

on the other one I did a search for caches in my area and the closest one it found was 100miles away. I have close to 400 within 100miles of my area from this site.

You tell me which one to go to.

didnt i say something to that affect already? icon_confused.gif

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

on the other one I did a search for caches in my area and the closest one it found was 100miles away. I have close to 400 within 100miles of my area from this site.

You tell me which one to go to.

whack.gif

I poke my head into the N-site every once in a while. Maybe a half-dozen times total. I'm surprised there isn't more posting going on.

Generally, I think of that other site as more grassroots, and this site as professional.. which, er.. it is.

I sure wish there were a better relationship within the entire geocaching community, as we could be like Cheers and Gary's on that hit television program from the 80's. Just like the show, not everyone has to be friends, but some playful fun between the two would be cool.

Jamie

People come here and see more caches so when they do hide their own, they tend to post it here and not there...and then newer people come and see even more of a disparity. I like it there because in my home town there's not much difference in the number of caches on either site, and because I think the admin is a super-nice guy who takes the time to hide a few good ones himself (and he answers all my dumb questions, too). I like it here because I can find more caches in the areas to which I travel and because the forums are more active, but my one-and-only hide has been posted on both sites and I encourage my friends to do the same. I've never been a big fan of the "everyone uses it so it's best for me" theory, but in some cases it works. To each his own, but posting caches in both places hurts no one and might attract more people to the hunt. Just MHO.

"I'm too old to be doing this" - me to nobody, from too high up in a pine tree.

It seems to me that most people who use that site are just "backing up" the caches and finds they have here ... I haven't returned there recently, but the few caches that site listed in my area were all word-for-word duplicates of caches that appeared here first.

The logs of the few finders were also mostly word-for-word copies.

Yawwwwn

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

It seems to me that most people who use that site are just "backing up" the caches and finds they have here ... I haven't returned there recently, but the few caches that site listed in my area were all word-for-word duplicates of caches that appeared here first.

The logs of the few finders were also mostly word-for-word copies.

Ahhh, maybe I should place a few exclusives, then, just to give the underdog a chance! You do have a good point - I tend to copy/paste between the two. One thing I like about the other place is their ranking system that measures experience in points rather than number of finds, so that my forty caches that include some 4/4's look more impressive than the forty my friend might have that are all 1/1's. It's because of those points that I make sure to log my finds over there even if I've logged them here first.

I do have six logged finds over there that don't appear here, though. And twenty-something here that aren't there.

-shilfiell

"I'm too old to be doing this" - me to nobody, from too high up in a pine tree.

Things might be different if the bulk of the value (cache descriptions created by you and me) were stored such that any creative person could draw upon them. If this was the case, someone would use the site that appeals to them the most. But as it is, every cache found at any given web site is stored ON THAT WEB SITE's servers. The result is that people tend to hide and seek caches using the most popular site (this one).

It's analogous to someone trying to produce software to compete with Microsoft Word ®. A six year old could come up with a better word processor but when everyone else uses Word, it's much too inconvenient to use anything else.

Fortunately for us, Jeremy continues to maintain and improve this web site despite a hearty momentum that will continue to be an obstacle difficult to overcome by similar services (unlike Microsoft which now continues to sell crap).

If we're to believe the .NET hype (discounting that it can create chocolate out of thin air, generate world peace, and teach monkeys to swim), someday once geocaching.com is ".net enabled", other sites may be able to use geocaching.com's cache database "service" fairly easily.

Some companies like to keep a tight hold on all their data, to "ensure" their continued existence. geocaching.com is awesome enough that, even if they did share their data with other sites, I don't think they'd get toppled as #1.

snazzsig.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by upinyachit:

Why do you think this site is more populated?

I think a part of the reason is that if someone hears or reads about geocaching somewhere, the first thing they're likely to try on-line is typing "geocaching" into the browser and see if anything pops up. This site will.

Once here, there's plenty of reasons to stay and few reasons to try anywhere else.

I'd bet you're the exception to the rule and that most folks simply find this site first.

ApK