What type of bug spray do you use?

I'm sure there are fancier, "better" varieties out there that will be mentioned, but I just use Deep Woods Off with DEET. When I use it, I don't get bit. When I forget, I curse myself for a week or so afterward. Just remember, DEET is not for the pregnant cachers!

"I'm 35 Years old, I am divorced, and I live in van down by the river!" - Matt Foley

I currently have a half-empty (or is that half-full icon_wink.gif ) can of Cutter. I'll use anything with DEET, though. Most products I've seen contain around 25% DEET - I recently saw something (I think it was a lotion) in a surplus store that was claiming to be 100% DEET. I'm no chemistry major, but mightn't that be a bit strong to use without diluting it a little? Anyone here know the actual hazards of DEET?

--

Pehmva!

[sTATS IMAGE REMOVED BY OVERBEARING ADMINS]

Random quote:

[RANDOM QUOTE IMAGE REMOVED BY OVERBEARING ADMINS]

DEET and the more the better...

There was a study done in the New England Journal of Medicine testing various methods of insect replellant and it was shown scientifically that DEET is superior to everything else available on the market.

BTW, the higher concentrations of DEET do not make it repel insects any more than the lower doses. What is does do it make the insect repelling properties last longer.

I'll see if I can find a link to the article if anyone is interested in reading it...

Here it is. Its long but an interesting read.

Quick Review:

04t1.jpeg

---------------------------------------------------

Free your mind and the rest will follow 30296_400.gif

mystats.php?userid=Doc-Dean&vopt=user&txtdata=I%20am%20Still%20Ignoring%20Stats!!&bgcol=3333ff&fgcol=ffff99

[This message was edited by Doc-Dean on October 10, 2003 at 06:58 PM.]

Ultrathon is the best I've found. It's a time release DEET formula. I also use Deep Woods Off and Cutter. I prefer the former if there is a choice between the two.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

A time release formula sounds like a sham to me. How long does it say it will last??

If Deep Woods Off lasts 300 minutes (i.e. 5 hours), I can't imagine needing more than that for standard caching. Plus you can always re-apply it after 5 hours.

---------------------------------------------------

mystats.php?userid=Doc-Dean&vopt=user&txtdata=I%20am%20Still%20Ignoring%20Stats!!&bgcol=3333ff&fgcol=ffff99

Repel 29% Deet. If it's really bad I use Deep Woods Off for Sports Men: 95% Deet. Repels, Mosquitoes, Ticks, Biting Flies, small farm animals and admins.

mystats.php?userid=jmb&vopt=user&txtdata=%233+out+of+4&bgcol=ccffcc&fgcol=3300ff

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Because now I am Lost.

Get something with DEET in it. I usually use Repel 40% DEET. It works quite well.

I sometimes use the 100% DEET if I'm going to be outdoors for many, many hours - especially if the mosquitoes are bad. However, there is an additional hazard with DEET, especially the higher concentrations - it can damage some types of plastics, so be careful how you use it. (I've had some problems with my red LED flashlights melting a bit when I used the 100% DEET from Off or Repel.)

I've also had pretty good luck with Sawyer controlled release repellent. What it does is encapsulate the DEET so that it is slowly released over time. This sounds like BS, but it seems to work, and is way less nasty than some of the other sprays. (The Sawyer controlled release formula is a lotion, and it's about 20% DEET.)

DEET is the most effective insect repellent known. It works extremely well on mosquitos and chiggers. I've heard that it's not as effective against some biting flies. (I don't know if this is true myself, we mostly don't get these in Texas - possibly the *only* biting insect we don't have.)

Permethrin is another option. It is a contact insecticide that only works on clothing and gear. The oils in your skin actually break it down. The nice thing about this is that you treat your garments with the stuff, and for the next 10-14 days you don't just repel insects - you KILL them if the land on your clothing. (If that doesn't sound good, I don't know what does!) You can launder your garments a couple of times and the stuff is supposed to last.

quote:
A time release formula sounds like a sham to me. How long does it say it will last??

Their literature says up to 8 hours for the spray and up to 12 hours for the cream. I usually only apply it once and it seems to last much of the day, unless I'm sweating very heavily.

Ultrathon

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

Deet's the only way. Unless you're in some malaria infested area icon_eek.gif

I've found the Ultrathon works for quite awhile. I don't know about 8 hours, but I can certainly get twice the time out of it than I would otherwise with regular Deet containing products.

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them. The rest go geocaching.

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

What's your experience with Deet sprayed on clothes keeping ticks away?

DEET has to be in contact with the skin to work. Spraying it clothes doesn't do much good (except for the small amount of DEET that will soak through and come in contact with the skin). Use Permethrin for clothes. You can't just spray it one before you go out. You have to let it dry into the fabric. Once an article has been properly treated, it's good for up to 10 washings.

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

I use Burt's Bees "The Defender" herbal bug spray. HOWEVER; I also wear long pants, long sleeves, and a hat. (cancer survivor - dare to be pale!) Haven't had much trouble, probably because I don't leave much exposed. CampMor had some nifty bug net thingies that go over your hat. Anybody tried something like that? (Does it keep bugs out, or keep them IN!?!)

"You'll curse when the need comes. Make it loud, make it complicated, make it long, and make it up if you have to, but it'll work all right." -Granny Weatherwax

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

DEET has to be in contact with the skin to work. Spraying it clothes doesn't do much good (except for the small amount of DEET that will soak through and come in contact with the skin). Use Permethrin for clothes. You can't just spray it one before you go out. You have to let it dry into the fabric. Once an article has been properly treated, it's good for up to 10 washings.

Actually you are wrong. It works VERY well on clothes and has nothing do with your skin.

It can damage some synthetic textiles but will do very well on the common materials.

As a matter of fact for children - it is recommended to spray it on their clothes because there are some issues with using the higher concentrated DEET because of systemic absorption and causing illness.

Let me know if you want the references on this and I'll track them down...

Given the fact that the mosquito should be the Georgia state bird, we got some big one around here, a full set of metal armor might be a better plan.

I do use at least a 20% DEET and perfer a squirt bottle rather than a spray. With spray you can sent over half of the product into the air. Ain't doing you any good floating inside your car when you are a mile away hiking toward the cache! icon_rolleyes.gif

REPEL 29% DEET in the cache Backpack at the moment! icon_smile.gif

Bob ~

Isn't the best way to save face to keep the lower part shut?...Stephen Wright

I'll reinforce the warnings about 100% deet and plastics. I "melted" the waterproof nylon fabric of a backpack with a leaky bottle of DEET. The material became VERY sticky and stayed that way for months. I've heard of people trashing plastic Jeep windows and PDA screens, too.

Stunod's Stats

Found: 103/Hidden: 5

Eamus Catuli! Go Cubs!

Keenpeople.com Stats * ChiTown Cachers

quote:
Originally posted by Doc-Dean:

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

Actually you are wrong. It works VERY well on clothes and has nothing do with your skin.

It can damage some synthetic textiles but will do very well on the common materials.

As a matter of fact for children - it is recommended to spray it on their clothes because there are some issues with using the higher concentrated DEET because of systemic absorption and causing illness.

Let me know if you want the references on this and I'll track them down...

Free your mind and the rest will follow http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/30296_400.gif

Doc: I was originally referring to ticks. Are you saying Deet works on clothes against ticks, mosquitos or both?

Alan

DEET is the best stuff there is when using something applied to the skin, and recent studies suggest that it's safer than has it has been though of in the past.

Permethrin works great on clothing, and should be considered if you are going to be spending time under heavy tree cover when the little buggers are out.

My personal use most of the time is nothing at all because they haven't been that much of a problem.

That Quack Cacher:

Lone Duck

When you don't know where you're going, every road will take you there.

quote:
Originally posted by Touchstone:

Deet's the only way. Unless you're in some malaria infested area icon_eek.gif

I was headed into northern Honduras earlier this summer, where the CDC has issued warnings for Malaria. I bought a very expensive can of 20-something percent deet Off! and never used it. I ended up giving it to some backpackers.

Another time this summer, I was in the Florida Keys and met a group of travelers who warned me repeatedly about the mosquitoes I'd encounter while I planned to camp. When they learned I hadn't any repelent, they donated a half-full can. I carried that stuff with me for several hundred miles and never used it. I can't recall what I did with the stuff. Probably just tossed it.

I guess I'm really tolerant, or maybe mosquitoes just tend to stay away from me. That makes me wonder. Are mosquitoes anything like women?

Jamie

quote:
DEET has to be in contact with the skin to work. Spraying it clothes doesn't do much good (except for the small amount of DEET that will soak through and come in contact with the skin).

The only place I've ever heard this was on this message board, so I looked into it. I was not able to find any corroborating info. In fact, everything I did find about using DEET on clothing said it was effective and in some cases (as with small children) recommended. I found info recommending its use on clothing from from places such as the websites of the major manufacturer of DEET, the CDC, the Illinois Dept of Public Healh, the Montana Dept of Public Health and the American College of Physicians.

This comes from the American College of Physician's website:

"Repellents may be applied directly to the skin or to clothing, window screens, mesh insect nets, tents, or sleeping bags. Persons who are particularly concerned about potential toxicity from DEET may limit application of the repellent to their clothes. If DEET-treated garments are stored in a plastic bag between wearings, the repellent effect can last for many weeks.

This comes from the website of Reilly Industries, the major manufacturer of DEET:

"DEET is the superior insect repellent, effective against most biting insects regardless of geographic location. It repels mosquitoes, sand flies, gnats, chiggers, ticks, deer flies and fleas. Applied to the skin, it offers hours of protection. As a repellent on clothing, DEET usually provides protection for several days.

From the Oklahoma College of Pharmacy:

" Apply repellents only to exposed skin and/or clothing (as directed on the product label). Do not use under clothing. DEET can be applied to clothing before dressing young children."

From Badskeeter.org, a West Nile Virus info site:

Apply DEET repellent to clothes whenever possible. Spray clothing with repellents containing permethrin or DEET since mosquitoes may bite through thin clothing. "

From Sawyer Products, a leading producer of insect repellents (regarding thier Maxi DEET product):

In areas of extreme bug density or other extreme conditions you can rely on this 100% Deet spray for application to clothing, mosquito or head nets. The Controlled Release formula eliminates the need to use 100% Deet on the skin."

From the EPA's website:

"DEET products that are applied directly to the skin and/or clothing are available in numerous formulations..."

These are just a few of the references I found regarding the use of DEET on clothing. Combining this with empirical evidence (I personally have found it to be effective on clothing), I'd have to say Prime Suspect's statement is - suspect.

quote:
I guess I'm really tolerant, or maybe mosquitoes just tend to stay away from me.

I think some people are less attractive to skeeters than others. I know while others around me are being eaten alive, I'm rarely bitten. I recall camping out with my brother when we were kids. He'd wake up covered in bites and I'd have none, or maybe a couple. Even now my wife gets swarmed and I go relatively untouched. Same for ticks.

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on October 13, 2003 at 05:49 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

I guess I'm really tolerant, or maybe mosquitoes just tend to stay away from me. That makes me wonder. Are mosquitoes anything like women?

Jamie

Jamie, Tennessee, HUH? It the traveling cacher/hiker Syndrome. Mosquitoes don't like the taste of Tennesseans outside of their native area. Being from Middle TN, it took over a year before the gnats, deer flies, mosquitoes and noseeums would bite after I moved to Georgia. YEA RIGHT!!! icon_eek.gif Actually, that were delighted at the smell of fresh meat!

I have heard that your diet can keep the ugly biters from feasting on you. Care to share what they are serving U of M???

Bob ~

Isn't the best way to save face to keep the lower part shut?...Stephen Wright

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

Doc: I was originally referring to ticks. Are you saying Deet works on clothes against ticks, mosquitos or both?

Alan

Sorry Alan, I was referring to skeeters... Deet is not very effective for tics...

Thanks for the excellent review BrianSnat!! icon_smile.gif

*Unfortunately* I am never bothered by insects, even in the middle of summer, in the depths of the woods... Call me cursed ...or odd.... so i usualy don't use any bug repelent... though just in case i have a bottle of "Jungle power, 76% DEET".... i honnestly don't like using deet so i keep it on my clothes when i do use it. Skin cancer dudes ....Skin cancer

--Alsid Prime--

GeoCaching for a goal.

quote:
Could you explain this better? Are you saying you beleive there is a link between skin cancer and DEET exposure on the skin?

If there is, he had better alert the medical community. There never has been a link between skin cancer and DEET until now!

quote:
Anyone use "Skin So Soft"? I do when I need a good repellent for mosquitos. It works too, and no DEET. I generally wear long sleeves and pants, but will put the SSS on my neck, back of hands and face. Try it out.

Oddly enough, though some people swear by Skin So Soft, a number of studies have found that it is simply not effective. See Doc Dean's earlier post to this thread for the results of one study.

Originally posted by BrianSnat:

Oddly enough, though some people swear by Skin So Soft, a number of studies have found that it is simply not effective. See Doc Dean's earlier post to this thread for the results of one study.

QUOTE]

Tell the people who did the studies that it worked on at least one person- ME. I've been in my back yard building a shed for over a month and the mosquitos can be biting me and I go put on the Skin So Soft and guess what? No more biting mosquitos.

Why in the heck would anyone go Geocaching where there's bugs? Why would anyone go outside where there's bugs? If fact, why in the heck would anyone even live where there's bugs?!? Screw that!!

I did a couple of caches in Southern Illinois this Summer. I was eaten by ticks, bit by mosquitos, and broke out with poison ivy. What a crap-hole...

Actually, I worked outdoors in Arkansas for several years - there are plenty of bugs there! I recommend Deep Woods Off, although any DEET-based product should work well. From what I've read about DEET, there are no health side-effects from skin contact, although for children it's recommended not to use very strong concentrations simply because of the 'unknown' factor.

From studies I've seen on Skin-So-Soft, it does seem to work a little, but never as well as DEET. And the effect only lasts a few minutes. What absolutely doesn't work is bug zappers or Citronella.

Best Wishes,

Bob

quote:
Originally posted by LowranceTracker1:

Tell the people who did the studies that it worked on at least one person- ME. I've been in my back yard building a shed for over a month and the mosquitos can be biting me and I go put on the Skin So Soft and guess what? No more biting mosquitos.

If you read the beginning of the post you would have seen that Skin so Soft does work, but not was well as other products. If you want to waste your money on something that works mediocre that is your choice.