I want to go on a Geocaching Holiday in December. Where?

Guest Peter Scholtz

Guest Peter Scholtz

I want to go on a Geocaching Holiday in December. But where shall I go? I have to weight up the number of potential cache finds, where I've been before and what would be nice to see ...

I've been to California, Germany, England and Scotland. Didn't like it much.

Might as well combine a new country and Geocaching.

Australia has 151 caches. That should keep me busy for two weeks.

The US has many more, but it's winter in December. Which states are nice in December. Not California again ...

------------------

Peter Scholtz

www.biometrics.co.za

Guest jeremy

Well, don't come to Washington State unless you like the rain. I expect a wetter winter this year.

New Zealand or Australia would be great that time of year, I would think. Always wanted to go there personally.

Jeremy

Guest Markwell

If you want to come to the states again, I'd suggest anything south of N36° 55'. Near there, there's a line that runs along the northern borders of the states Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Tennessee and North Carolina. Being from Chicago, I'd prefer to be south of that line for nice weather in December.

As far as which state to go to... The Tennessee-Georgia area has some beautiful forests and an abundance of caches.

But if the topic is broadened to anywhere in the world - I wouldn't even begin to know where to suggest.

Just my 2¢.

Guest BryanG

Hawaii comes to mind... Stay south... Southern California is cool and dry that time of year...

Often time Christmas is a day for Shorts and a sweatshirt!

Guest Snowtrail

The mountains of NC/TN/GA can get snow as early as November. I have known it to snow as late as May around Asheville. Go South, but stay out of the mountains...

Guest bob_renner

re are numerous caches in the lower elevations. If you want cooler temperatures, there's the mountains with plenty of caches. Plus, without the heavy overhead vegitation, GPS reception is great.

Bob

[This message has been edited by bob_renner (edited 06 August 2001).]

Guest Sluggo

quote:
Originally posted by jeremy:

Well, don't come to Washington State unless you like the rain. I expect a wetter winter this year.

Jeremy, Jeremy, Jeremy,,,,, icon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

Guest Sluggo

quote:

Jeremy, Jeremy, Jeremy,,,,, icon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

Guest rediguana

Hehe Peter you'd fit right in in either NZ or Oz with all the ex-pat South Africans icon_smile.gif January and February are about the hottest months down here - its nice having bbq's for christmas! I'm really looking forward to summer right now, its not the warmest here. Per capita, NZ has more caches than Oz, but having done about 16 in NZ and 14 in Oz I have no preference either way - there are some great caches in both countries.

And Jeremy, Washington ain't that bad a place - then again I was visiting in September! Brought back memories when you posted the pictures of the hats at Snoqualmie Falls icon_smile.gif Being a Twin Peaks fan I had to go there LOL

Cheers Gav

[This message has been edited by rediguana (edited 07 August 2001).]

Guest rediguana

Hehe Peter you'd fit right in in either NZ or Oz with all the ex-pat South Africans icon_smile.gif January and February are about the hottest months down here - its nice having bbq's for christmas! I'm really looking forward to summer right now, its not the warmest here. Per capita, NZ has more caches than Oz, but having done about 16 in NZ and 14 in Oz I have no preference either way - there are some great caches in both countries.

And Jeremy, Washington ain't that bad a place - then again I was visiting in September! Brought back memories when you posted the pictures of the hats at Snoqualmie Falls icon_smile.gif Being a Twin Peaks fan I had to go there LOL

Cheers Gav

[This message has been edited by rediguana (edited 07 August 2001).]

Guest brokenwing

Something that I think would be interesting would be to make a road trip across the southern US, Geocaching as you go. If you stay to the south, winter weather should not be a problem. You could do a circuit, or a one way trip.

Maybe if you can suggest a particular area, weather, terrain, sights you'd like to see, etc, we can help you narrow it down.

Take care,

brokenwing

Guest arffer

Peter, I was going to suggest Utah but don't know what it would be like in December, I am from the midwest and one of my goals is to go caching it Utah. It is a BEAUTIFUL state and I have only driven through on a trip to California and visted Bryce Canyon on a second trip. There are over 300 caches in Utah. I put in a Salt Lake City Zip Code on geocaching.com and came up with over 70 caches in a 20 mile radius! There is a cool site (http://www.brillig.com/geocaching/maps.shtml) that you can use to see the number of caches in locations all around the world.

Guest jeremy

quote:
Originally posted by Sluggo:

You do such a GREAT job managing this website, but you are a terrible ambassador for Washington.

That's how I like it. If I continue giving this impression of how the state is, it will be all mine. MINE! icon_wink.gif

Seriously, you cannot deny that September/October is the optimal time to come to Washington State on both sides of the Cascades.

Jeremy

Guest jeremy

quote:
Originally posted by Sluggo:

You do such a GREAT job managing this website, but you are a terrible ambassador for Washington.

That's how I like it. If I continue giving this impression of how the state is, it will be all mine. MINE! icon_wink.gif

Seriously, you cannot deny that September/October is the optimal time to come to Washington State on both sides of the Cascades.

Jeremy

Guest T-storm

quote:

Seriously, you cannot deny that September/October is the optimal time to come to Washington

Well I think the optimal time to come to Washington is anytime from about May 1 - October 30, and the optimal side of the Cascades would be the west. Oh, wait, that's because I'm in the midst of the Texas summer.... I went one July and it was 55 degrees overnights and I would sleep with the windows open and just a sheet for cover... it was heavenly!

T-storm

Guest unome

Jeremy is right! It rains al the time here. I can't remember what the sun looks like. btw, anyone wanta join the Washington State Organation Against Tourism ?

Guest Sluggo

Okay... NOW I GET IT..... You guys are just trying to keep the Californians out of Washington. I should have kept my mouth shut.

Sluggo: Turns slowly to the right, faces the camera and displays an evil and conspiratorial grin.

"That should get-um started, they will spend all their energy slamming each other about the weather, and all the while I'll be running for president and taking over the website too!"

I spend the winter months(Oct-May) in Parker,AZ. Last year I put on long pants one day, just to see if they still fit. The rest of the time it was shorts & flip-flops,by noon.

ps there will be at least 5 new caches in the Parker area shortly after I arrive 1 Oct.

------------------

dwr50

"Full-Time RV'ers can REALLY cachin"

Guest TresOkies

Austin, TX currently has about 70 caches within a 100 km radius. I've visited a number of them and some are in very scenic areas. December temperatures in Austin are warm to moderate, so you will not be hampered by snow or ice.

After a day of geocaching, there are other activities in and around Austin to keep you busy. It's a college town and a technology center, so the population is young, diverse, and educated. On the negative side, it's Texas.

Guest wizmedic

Goeiemiddag!

I would go to Arizona, New Mexico and southern Utah areas. You might see snow in the Flagstaff Arizona area, but you never know. But you will see some great area and meet some great geocachers. Goed geluk!

Totsiens.....

PS....would like to come over and place a few caches in Zimbabwa and Botwanna.....

Guest Peter Scholtz

quote:
Originally posted by wizmedic:

Goeiemiddag!

Totsiens.....

PS....would like to come over and place a few caches in Zimbabwa and Botwanna.....

Ah, another ex South African!

For the rest, that is Afrikaans (Goeiemiddag = Good afternoon, Totsiens = Bye), which was started around 1652 when a Dutch dude decided to stay over in South Africa.

Wiz, Artful Dodger is also another ex, I think now in New York.

Thanks for all the ideas so far, but since my request the South Africans have started to wake up to Geocaching, and since then at least 12 caches have been hidden for me to look for during my holiday. So here comes a 4000 km road trip for December. By then there should be at least 50 to find! Heeeeyaaaaa ...

Btw, Wiz, Zim is very much out of bounds, things are very bad there.

Btw, for the ex South Africans, check how close there's a Geocache to you ex home:

Geocaching.com South Africa Map

Buxley's South African Map

------------------

Peter Scholtz

www.biometrics.co.za

[This message has been edited by Peter Scholtz (edited 15 August 2001).]

Guest cavenagh

I just returned from Albuquerque, New Mexico and can't say enough good things about the place. There is a rich lode of caches, well hidden in wonderfully scenic places from which to choose. Great hikes accompany virtually every search - MTB rides if you are into that.

Guest wizmedic

Hey Peter,

I am all american, I just worked over in jo'burg as a paramedic for 2 years. I sure miss the country, and the cricket! It was alot easier to talk afrikaans to some patients. But it has been 3 years since I have moved back to the states and I have to say, I have lost most of it icon_frown.gif . Forgot about all the trouble in Zimbabwa, so I'm sure it not the best time to be placing any caches there. So, I guess Botswanna and Joburg will my spots to add a few caches.

Totsiens..

WizMedic

Guest wizmedic

Hey Peter,

I am all american, I just worked over in jo'burg as a paramedic for 2 years. I sure miss the country, and the cricket! It was alot easier to talk afrikaans to some patients. But it has been 3 years since I have moved back to the states and I have to say, I have lost most of it icon_frown.gif . Forgot about all the trouble in Zimbabwa, so I'm sure it not the best time to be placing any caches there. So, I guess Botswanna and Joburg will my spots to add a few caches.

Totsiens..

WizMedic

Guest cache_only

quote:
Originally posted by Peter Scholtz:

I want to go on a Geocaching Holiday in December. But where shall I go?

To see Santa at the North Pole, of course. Just enter the following coordinates and you'll be all set:

N: 90 00.000

E or W: it doesn't matter

Rob icon_biggrin.gif

Guest cache_only

quote:
Originally posted by Peter Scholtz:

I want to go on a Geocaching Holiday in December. But where shall I go?

To see Santa at the North Pole, of course. Just enter the following coordinates and you'll be all set:

N: 90 00.000

E or W: it doesn't matter

Rob icon_biggrin.gif

Guest cabingirl

Okay,everyone's saying "go south'! I say "go North"! In December, we should have a nice snow cover in MN which will make geocaching that much more adventurous. And just think of how great you'll feel when you find a cache under knee deep snow!

If you put your trip off until the end of January you can come to Saint Paul for the Medallion Hunt...clue-based hunt, but still fun icon_smile.gif

Guest cabingirl

Okay,everyone's saying "go south'! I say "go North"! In December, we should have a nice snow cover in MN which will make geocaching that much more adventurous. And just think of how great you'll feel when you find a cache under knee deep snow!

If you put your trip off until the end of January you can come to Saint Paul for the Medallion Hunt...clue-based hunt, but still fun icon_smile.gif

Guest BigDoggie

Atlanta, Georgia.

Although we have cold spells, it rarely gets really cold, almost never snows, and I have been sunbathing on New Years Day.

And, there are 60+ geocaches within about a 30 mile radius of downtown Atlanta.

------------------

Interested in Geocaching in the state of Georgia? Visit the Georgia Geocachers Association home page at http://www.ggaonline.org

[This message has been edited by BigDoggie (edited 21 August 2001).]