City Select vs. Metro Guide..

umc

Question regarding the Garmin GPS V??

I am looking to pick one of these up in the next few days and was wondering what the difference is between the City Select and Metro Guide software is. City Select comes with it but should I also get the Metro Guide on top of that or is there no point in it? Any help would be appreciated.

I do plan on getting the TOPO software but am curious as to whether or not the Metro Guide is necessary if you have the City Select.

Thanks.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

I wouldn't bother going for Metroguide, as long as you've got City Select. Just make sure it's the latest updated version, 4.01. The original City Select really lacked a lot of rural coverage, but the CS update took care of most of that. Metroguide does have some nice features, but I don't think buying it on top of having CS is waranted. One thing that Metroguide has over CS, is that it does a better job of showing land feature details, like rivers, lake navigational buoys, etc. But if you're getting Topo as well, that will all be covered. The City Select/Topo combo will do you well. I run CS in my V, Metroguide in my StreetPilot,Topo in my MAP76 & Roads & Recreation in my eMap. 95% of the time, City Select(road navigation) & Topo (caching/off road stuff)are all I use. Hope this helps. icon_biggrin.gif

"Gimpy"

I wouldn't bother going for Metroguide, as long as you've got City Select. Just make sure it's the latest updated version, 4.01. The original City Select really lacked a lot of rural coverage, but the CS update took care of most of that. Metroguide does have some nice features, but I don't think buying it on top of having CS is waranted. One thing that Metroguide has over CS, is that it does a better job of showing land feature details, like rivers, lake navigational buoys, etc. But if you're getting Topo as well, that will all be covered. The City Select/Topo combo will do you well. I run CS in my V, Metroguide in my StreetPilot,Topo in my MAP76 & Roads & Recreation in my eMap. 95% of the time, City Select(road navigation) & Topo (caching/off road stuff)are all I use. Hope this helps. icon_biggrin.gif

"Gimpy"

quote:
I run CS in my V, Metroguide in my StreetPilot,Topo in my MAP76 & Roads & Recreation in my eMap. 95% of the time, City Select(road navigation) & Topo (caching/off road stuff)are all I use.

Wow, that's quite an assortment of equipment you have there!

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

"Map detail with automatic routing on the PC. For compatible units, such as the GPS V and StreetPilot III, automatic routes can be generated at the unit level as well."

Does anyone know if this is also a function of City Select? I'm sure at some point I will want to use the V as my GPSr and my laptop as the screen for a long trip or such. Will both pieces of software allow this?

I apologize for what are probably silly questions but Garmins site is a little vague on some of these detailed things.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Does Garmin still charge to unlock all the City Select regions? That might be one reason to buy MetroGuide. There are no regions in MetroGuide so the cost of the software gets you the entire US. Juggling those silly codes in City Navigator got downright tedious so I was ecstatic when I found out that MetroGuide USA supported autorouting.

I have City Navigator, MetroGuide, Topo USA, European R&R, and MetroGuide Canada and I use them in a StreetPilot III, eMap and eTrex Vista. City Navigator sits in its' box now. I use MetroGuide almost exclusively in all of them except I occasionally load Topo USA on the eMap or eTrex. If I'm traveling outside the US, I'll load MG Canada or European R&R, but that doesn't happen so much any more.

As for Topo, I think you will be disappointed if you are accustomed to paper quads. It's nice to have topo data on your handheld, but the detail is so limited that I don't refer to it very often. I'd give my left testicle for 1:25000 topo data with good street info and autorouting. icon_wink.gif Well on second thought, maybe I'd pay $200 for it.

-E

--

N3532.981 W9834.631

Does Garmin still charge to unlock all the City Select regions? That might be one reason to buy MetroGuide. There are no regions in MetroGuide so the cost of the software gets you the entire US. Juggling those silly codes in City Navigator got downright tedious so I was ecstatic when I found out that MetroGuide USA supported autorouting.

I have City Navigator, MetroGuide, Topo USA, European R&R, and MetroGuide Canada and I use them in a StreetPilot III, eMap and eTrex Vista. City Navigator sits in its' box now. I use MetroGuide almost exclusively in all of them except I occasionally load Topo USA on the eMap or eTrex. If I'm traveling outside the US, I'll load MG Canada or European R&R, but that doesn't happen so much any more.

As for Topo, I think you will be disappointed if you are accustomed to paper quads. It's nice to have topo data on your handheld, but the detail is so limited that I don't refer to it very often. I'd give my left testicle for 1:25000 topo data with good street info and autorouting. icon_wink.gif Well on second thought, maybe I'd pay $200 for it.

-E

--

N3532.981 W9834.631

The price for the whole North America unlock code, is about the same as the price for Metroguide US. Since CS comes with the V, I'd go that route. Works for me, because I live about 45 min. from the Canadian border, & head there quite a bit. If I was to use just Metroguide, I'd have to purchase Metro US & Metro Canada. US & Canada are included in City Select.

"Gimpy"

Great information all, thanks

But now I don't know what I'm going to do. I went to REI after caching today to purchase my GPS V and they told me that they were out of them and that they were not ordering any more. I asked why but they could not tell me.

Is it possible that Garmin is coming out with a new model for the V? Does anyone have any idea what is going on with this unit?

I didn't feel too bad even though I want the V very badly but if something new and improved is coming out I will go for that and stick with my GM100 for the time being.

Any imput is welcome.

thanks again.

______________________________________________________________________________________

The 'idiot' who should be banned because he likes to spend all day annoying people while drinking beer.

Interesting. I figured that Garmin would come out with an upgraded V(or 6?) with more memory & compass or whatever, after they sold enough of the present model. But this seems a little too soon. I wonder if the salesman knew what he/she was talking about. REI still takes orders for them on REI.com. I know, that doesn't mean anything. Sure would be interesting to see if they have something in the works. icon_confused.gif After what they did with the City Select/City Select updated version, anything is possible. icon_rolleyes.gif

"Gimpy"

Interesting. I figured that Garmin would come out with an upgraded V(or 6?) with more memory & compass or whatever, after they sold enough of the present model. But this seems a little too soon. I wonder if the salesman knew what he/she was talking about. REI still takes orders for them on REI.com. I know, that doesn't mean anything. Sure would be interesting to see if they have something in the works. icon_confused.gif After what they did with the City Select/City Select updated version, anything is possible. icon_rolleyes.gif

"Gimpy"

Yes not to say they knew anything about anything and they didn't but I did send an email into Garmin so it will be interesting to see if I get a reply back that is worth something or the standard 'ummmm no we haven't heard of anything' reply.

We will see and I will keep you updated.

______________________________________________________________________________________

The 'idiot' who should be banned because he likes to spend all day annoying people while drinking beer.

quote:
Originally posted by Gimpy:

The price for the whole North America unlock code, is about the same as the price for Metroguide US. Since CS comes with the V, I'd go that route. Works for me, because I live about 45 min. from the Canadian border, & head there quite a bit. If I was to use just Metroguide, I'd have to purchase Metro US & Metro Canada. US & Canada are included in City Select.

Point taken. I forgot that you wouldn't actually be purchasing CS because it already came with the V. I certainly wouldn't purchase the software and then be expected to fork out for the unlock codes. As for Canada, that's another good point for someone who doesn't already own MetroGuide Canada.

I still want my MetroGuide/Topo USA at 1:25000. I've rethought what I'm willing to pay for it, though.

-E

--

N3532.981 W9834.631

I just got a reply back from Garmin and it wasn't what I wanted but here it is:

Thank you for contacting GARMIN International.

I can see where this would be confusing. GARMIN no longer produces the GPS V in the standard packaging. What we now offer is the GPS V Deluxe unit. This is the same unit with the same accessories with 1 addition. The Deluxe unit offers the updated North American City Select 4.01 software with an ALL REGION unlock.

Because of that response I sent them an email back reiterating my question and stating that it was the Deluxe that we were looking at but I do plan on confirming that with REI support to make sure.

After my second request I got this answer back.

Should I or can I assume anything from this? Probably not.

Thank you for contacting GARMIN International.

Unfortunately, as we are a public corporation and traded on the stock exchange, I can not tell you about any upcoming units until they have been announced.

If you are looking for an auto routing unit however and you are a pilot, our new GPSMAP196 unit is new and exciting. This offers a Land, Water and Aviation mode. I am including the link to our website showing this unit for your convenience.

http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap196/