Bomb Squads, GPSing and Me

Hello all

Just recieved a call from the Spokane Bomb Squad, someone called on one of my caches in a ammo can.They x-rayed it, had the bomb robot open it when the x-ray showed "wires and batteries". Well to make a long story short...can anyone post my bail?

Ha...just kidding, the detective was really nice about it and was just letting me know how to pick up my property. He said no laws were broken or anything like that.

I'm gonna use this as a cautionary tale and only use tupperware type containors from now on...happy cacheing.

Tupperware's not the solution, there is already a thread about a clear tupperware geocache being blown to bits by the bomb squad. I only use ammo cans for regular sized caches. I paint them cammo, and also use stencils to paint "Official Gamepiece", "Geocache" and "Please do not remove" on each side of the can so that they can be seen from each side. I also have "www.geocaching.com" on the sides of the can as well. Clear identification can help with many of the problems, as well as properly hiding the cache. Also, placing a cache in an area not likely to raise suspicion will help as well.

Considering how many tupperware caches end up with water inside them after a while, I still say a properly marked and hidden ammo box is the best approach for a regular sized cache.

Either way, in this day and age if someone who is unaware of the game, and not sure about it stumbles upon your cache, no matter how clearly marked, or how visible the contents, they will probably still contact the authorities, and you will still be lucky to get your cache back in one piece. (not to mention the problem with people stumbling upon your cache and ransacking it) Frankly I don't mind if a cache gets reported by someone who has a second thought about whether or not it is benign, better that people take action than be passive, and maybe one day overlook an actual bomb. It's a risk of the game, having our caches ransacked by those who stumble upon them, or confiscated by the authorities. We should take all precautions we can, hide them well, and so forth, but the risk is always there, and I find it acceptable.

What I don't find acceptable is when a cache gets plundered by other geocachers, and I consider it plundering if a cacher takes something and leaves nothing, or takes something and does not log the find.

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

Originally posted by RAD Dad:

Tupperware's not the solution, there is already a thread about a clear tupperware geocache being blown to bits by the bomb squad. I only use ammo cans for regular sized caches. I paint them cammo, and also use stencils to paint "Official Gamepiece", "Geocache" and "Please do not remove" on each side of the can so that they can be seen from each side. I also have "www.geocaching.com" on the sides of the can as well. Clear identification can help with many of the problems, as well as properly hiding the cache. Also, placing a cache in an area not likely to raise suspicion will help as well.

I don't care if little pink bunnies are painted on the outside of a container. If I knew nothing about Geocaching, and I can't see the contents, I'd be suspicious. A Tupperware container is clear enough to see what's inside - without blowing the dadgum thing up. I don't think someone is going to paint a skull and crossbones, or a round bowling ball with lighted fuse on the outside their bombs. I think clear containers would be better for the sport if these "bomb" scares become a big concern.

"True Grid"

In the Pacific Northwet

True Grid...did you note that they HAVE blown up clear tupperware containers? There's usually a bunch of stuff in these things, and not all bomb squads have the ability to X-ray contents remotely, and if in doubt, they blow things up. Someone who's suspecious of an item will not pick it up, and unless there is only one or two easily identified items in the cache, it won't be clear to the uninitiated what it is.

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

quote:

True Grid...did you note that they HAVE blown up clear tupperware containers? There's usually a bunch of stuff in these things, and not all bomb squads have the ability to X-ray contents remotely, and if in doubt, they blow things up. Someone who's suspecious of an item will not pick it up, and unless there is only one or two easily identified items in the cache, it won't be clear to the uninitiated what it is.

I realize they have blown up both types of containers. What I'm saying is it's less likely to get blown up if you can see the contents. An ammo box looks suspicious to the general public because it is an ammo box. See-through Tupperware would seem to me to be a better choice. icon_eek.gif

"True Grid"

In the Pacific Northwet

quote:

I realize they have blown up both types of containers. What I'm saying is it's less likely to get blown up if you can see the contents. An ammo box looks suspicious to the general public because it is an ammo box. See-through Tupperware would seem to me to be a better choice. icon_eek.gif

"True Grid"

In the Pacific Northwet

quote:
Originally quoted by True Grid:

What I'm saying is it's less likely to get blown up if you can see the contents.

What I'm saying is that to say one is more likely than the other is pure opinion and based on no fact. Also, I have not run across that many tupperware caches that I can really see inside of from any kind of distance away. A piece of paper is all it takes to obstruct everything in the box.

Bomb squads take everything seriously. I don't think they've ever sat around a box and said "Hmm... That's only a tupperware container. See those papers and things inside? It looks harmless. The folks that called us are kooky. Let's go home, boys. Woa! There's an ammo box!! BLOW 'ER UP!!"

Even though I am personally fond of Ammo boxes, ('cause I've been to too many wet and ruined tupperware caches), I feel that what makes a cache perceptively dangerous is not the container that it's in, but rather the way it was hidden.

Certain precautions - if followed properly - can substantially reduce the risk of a bomb squad being called in:

1) Hide it well.

2) Hide it off the beaten path.

3) If hunting, try to be inconspicuous. Wait 'til passerbys are gone.

4) That dern common sense thing again - don't place an ammo box under a trash can across the street from the Sears Tower. It's likely to get blown up.

Edgydrifter, I hope that your caches remain in good standing. I hope that your encounter with Law Enforcement may have offered them an understanding of our sport in a positive way. It sounds like they weren't mad at you, and yours didn't get blown up. Keep the logs. Scan them. Cherish them.

Peace.

---------------

wavey.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

Hello all

If I can clarify a bit, the cache had been well hidden from public view, but the nearby river has been rising lately due to spring run-off. A well meaning cacher placed it further away but also not as well concealed.

Mr. Moun10bike, its the one near the Trail in town, and thanks for nudging me, I hadnt thought to remove it from the list. I had been going to replace the cache, but through some clerical error, the police destroyed the can and contents.

I'm gonna stick to my earlier post, clear friendly containors, the lil pink bunnies my be a little much though.

Happy Cacheing...

My own esxperience was after 911 sometime in October I think it was. I had just found the cache in a tree trunk - a camo ammo can, and was sitting on a stump going through the stuff in it. So my wife who was sitting in our car half a mile away calls me on te cell phone. "We just started bombing Afghanistan - come back now, please."

It was surreal stting there holding this ammo can at a time like that, I gotta tell you.

I personaly use tupperware type containers. My first look and handling of an ammo can caught me by surprise even though I knew these are being used - what would be the experience of a non-cacher who happens to find one? I could see where he would call the police while with a tpperware he might look inside to see what food someone may have lost. Different initial perception. Also at this time when we're looking for support from land manager and others, it might be better image wise to not be know as a bunch of guys "who bury ammo cans with stuff in it". Just my thoughts.

Alan

quote:
Originally posted by VentureForth:

Bomb squads take everything seriously. I don't think they've ever sat around a box and said "Hmm... That's only a tupperware container. See those papers and things inside? It looks harmless. The folks that called us are kooky. Let's go home, boys. Woa! There's an ammo box!! BLOW 'ER UP!!"

Think shrapnel. Which is inherently more dangerous: metal or soft plastic?

quote:
I could see where he would call the police while with a tpperware he might look inside to see what food someone may have lost.

I see what you are saying and would have thought the same thing. However, I was thrown off guard by the members of the parks board in the suburban community that I asked for permission to hide my caches. I showed them examples of both a cache in a tupperware container and a cache in an ammo can (painted a light color with outlines of leaves for a camo effect). They expressed the opinion that they would prefer that I use ammo cans. It was their reasoning that it would be harder for young, unsupervised children to open the ammo can. I can't say that I agreed with their logic and I realize that it is not an exact analogy to someone that knows nothing about geocaching finding it in the park, but I was still very surprised by the comment. icon_eek.gif

alchemist2000.jpg

quote:
I could see where he would call the police while with a tpperware he might look inside to see what food someone may have lost.

I see what you are saying and would have thought the same thing. However, I was thrown off guard by the members of the parks board in the suburban community that I asked for permission to hide my caches. I showed them examples of both a cache in a tupperware container and a cache in an ammo can (painted a light color with outlines of leaves for a camo effect). They expressed the opinion that they would prefer that I use ammo cans. It was their reasoning that it would be harder for young, unsupervised children to open the ammo can. I can't say that I agreed with their logic and I realize that it is not an exact analogy to someone that knows nothing about geocaching finding it in the park, but I was still very surprised by the comment. icon_eek.gif

alchemist2000.jpg

Just wondering... Many of the geocachers I have met come across as techie, analytical types. Does it make sense that everyone appears to use Tupperware as a generic term? I have come across MANY plastic containers out there and VERY few were actual Tupperware. If you want to keep contents dry with a plastic container, I suggest these guidelines:

1) Don't use Gladware

2) Don't use Zipware

3) Don't use butter tub, cottage cheese tub, pretzel jar, or TUPPERWARE

4) Use Rubbermaid, preferably clear with a blue rimmed cover

5) Regularly maintain the cache and rid it of all junk so it can be closed easily. Carefully repacking the contents for proper closure is some

times too much trouble. Check the logs.

5) Do not hide where rocks are used to cover the cache. Throwing the rocks back on top of the container is often the expedient thing to do. "Your container is cracked".

The major advantage to ammo boxes is not how they handle the weather, but rather how they handle the cachers.

WR

"Why worry when you can obsess?"

I have seen a lot of discussion between Ammo and Tupperware boxes. Has anyone looked at "Boaters waterproof" boxes? Go to "BOAT.U.S" or any other store that sells boating equipment and you will find an inexpensive box that is bright orange (you can always paint it) and waterproof. It is meant to have you put all your valuables in it--then when the boats sinks it will float. (maybe with you, or maybe away from you) These boxes are about the same size as an Ammo box but nowhere near as controversial.

clarencio

clarencio3.gif?mtbrand=AOL_US

quote:
Originally posted by True Grid:

"True Grid"

In the Pacific Northwet

Tupperware is nice, and cheaper (at Garage sales) than Ammo Boxes. BUT you have to maintain them. They do collect water, they do ruin the inside contents as a result and they do become brittle with age. They have a short lifespan compaired to an Ammo Box/First Aid Box etc.

If you are willing to maintain them great. In urban settings maintenance is easier. In the bush it's not so easy, but then it's less likely that a bomb squad will be called for one that you can't just park and bag either.

quote:
Originally posted by True Grid:

"True Grid"

In the Pacific Northwet

Tupperware is nice, and cheaper (at Garage sales) than Ammo Boxes. BUT you have to maintain them. They do collect water, they do ruin the inside contents as a result and they do become brittle with age. They have a short lifespan compaired to an Ammo Box/First Aid Box etc.

If you are willing to maintain them great. In urban settings maintenance is easier. In the bush it's not so easy, but then it's less likely that a bomb squad will be called for one that you can't just park and bag either.

quote:
Originally posted by ponyboy93:

[b[Maybe you could call up Rubbermaid and have them make a clear see through ammo box. Same rubber seal, same closing latch, same size. icon_smile.gif

[/b]

One of their manufacturing plants is here in Greenville, Tx. I had a project at work where I required a custom made container so I called them. They wouldn't talk to me unless I wanted to order 10,000.

Actually, Wal*Mart sells something similar on their website. Functionally similar to an ammobox, but made of plastic. I didn't see any at my local store, but the website had 'em for $11.99.

Since my ammocans are only 3.99 & 5.99 at the local ordinace supply (aka Army/Navy store), I will stick to them.

*NOTE* The one ammo box that was blown up occured at a dam. In my most humble opinion, kinduva dumb spot to put a cache to begin with, seeing as our water supplies are under tight scrutiny.

---------------

quote:
Originally posted by ponyboy93:

[b[Maybe you could call up Rubbermaid and have them make a clear see through ammo box. Same rubber seal, same closing latch, same size. icon_smile.gif

[/b]

One of their manufacturing plants is here in Greenville, Tx. I had a project at work where I required a custom made container so I called them. They wouldn't talk to me unless I wanted to order 10,000.

Actually, Wal*Mart sells something similar on their website. Functionally similar to an ammobox, but made of plastic. I didn't see any at my local store, but the website had 'em for $11.99.

Since my ammocans are only 3.99 & 5.99 at the local ordinace supply (aka Army/Navy store), I will stick to them.

*NOTE* The one ammo box that was blown up occured at a dam. In my most humble opinion, kinduva dumb spot to put a cache to begin with, seeing as our water supplies are under tight scrutiny.

---------------

I've placed 24 caches out there. All ammo cans. They've been logged 550 times & not one yet has been bomb squaded. All caches are in the same shape as when I placed them. Some have been out over a year. That's 4 seasons up here in the Northeast. I've been to some tupperware caches that were out less than a month that were full of water. I've got a fresh supply of ammo cans & will be putting out some new caches soon. As far as I'm concerned, it's the only way to go. I paint them up & clearly identify them as caches & place them where you won't find them without a gps. What is the ratio of cache containers that have been blown up/not blown up. How many caches are out there now, 11,000 give or take a couple of thousand? icon_smile.gif

1774_600.jpg

I've placed 24 caches out there. All ammo cans. They've been logged 550 times & not one yet has been bomb squaded. All caches are in the same shape as when I placed them. Some have been out over a year. That's 4 seasons up here in the Northeast. I've been to some tupperware caches that were out less than a month that were full of water. I've got a fresh supply of ammo cans & will be putting out some new caches soon. As far as I'm concerned, it's the only way to go. I paint them up & clearly identify them as caches & place them where you won't find them without a gps. What is the ratio of cache containers that have been blown up/not blown up. How many caches are out there now, 11,000 give or take a couple of thousand? icon_smile.gif

1774_600.jpg

I prefer ammo boxes and they cost about as much as a good Rubbermade/Tupperware type container. Just use common sense. I wouldn't put an ammo box in an urban or suburban park, but in the woods they're

the perfect container. Their size does make them a bit difficult to hide well, so it takes time to find a suitable place.

My ammo boxes are all spray painted in camo and I have the words "Geocache" "No Danger" along with the website and my e-mail address stenciled on most of mine. Not sure if this would help if a non Geocacher encounters it, but if its hidden well enough, non Geocachers shouldn't be finding our caches anyway

When I was contacted by the Washington State Patrol bomb squad, they asked that we also include a contact phone number on the outside of our caches. That way, they'll have somebody to phone to find out about it, and they'll feel a bit safer (what terrorist is going to leave a phone number?)

And as for cache containers, I went out and found 7 caches this weekend. It is *so* much nicer to find an ammo box out in the woods than a tupperware container in a Wal-Mart bag in a Hefty sack. And with an ammo box, I always know it's closed tight.

All 7 of my caches have been ammo boxes.

"If a boy has enough intelligence, he ought to go into the ministry, except that if when he enters college he is given to carousing, drinking, and wenching, then in that case he should enter the law." - _Harvard Student Review_, 1796

I make a point to hide my caches very well, and to not put them in a high traffic area. I also spray paint them cammo, and put OFFICIAL GEOCACHE GAMEPIECE" and "PLEASE DO NOT REMOVE" and "WWW.GEOCACHING.COM" on the box. I Make sure that there is some identifier on EACH SIDE of the box so that it can be identified without moving, no matter what side is exposed by an uncertain finder. I've been thinking about taking pictures and posting them of my boxes, but NMartin who recently found one of my caches, has done so for me....here's the link to the picture. http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/log/313207_200.JPG

Oh, and the Barney doll was NOT a put by me icon_wink.gif

I make a point to hide my caches very well, and to not put them in a high traffic area. I also spray paint them cammo, and put OFFICIAL GEOCACHE GAMEPIECE" and "PLEASE DO NOT REMOVE" and "WWW.GEOCACHING.COM" on the box. I Make sure that there is some identifier on EACH SIDE of the box so that it can be identified without moving, no matter what side is exposed by an uncertain finder. I've been thinking about taking pictures and posting them of my boxes, but NMartin who recently found one of my caches, has done so for me....here's the link to the picture. http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/log/313207_200.JPG

Oh, and the Barney doll was NOT a put by me icon_wink.gif