#$%^ Garmin

Seay me

I know this has been discussed before but....

I was browsing the Garmin website when I found a page talking up all of the activities you can do with a GPS.

Garmin finds it completely fine not to sponser a website that no doubt is helping sales, but have absolutely no problem using the name "GeoCaching" to sell their stuff. Pretty S**tty.

http://www.garmin.com/outdoor/geocaching/index.html

Chip

At least Garmin did provide the link to www.geocaching.com instead of "geogames" or such. Is there another thread that discusses Garmin's lack of advertising on www.geocaching.com?

I wonder how it would impact Jeremy's plans for Garmin to receive requests and suggestions from loyal customers regarding a great place for them to place advertising dollars to improve their profitability?

Be Seeing You!

I'm the one that originally contacted Garmin and told them about Geocaching and that they should use it for sales. The intent back a year ago was to promote what we do. I'm happy to see that they have created a page just for Geocaching!

When I orinally talked to them they had never heard of it and promised to check into to it...apparently they did.

I really don't see your beef about this. It promotes our game/sport. Of course that is just my opinion. icon_biggrin.gif

El Diablo

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

I'm the one that originally contacted Garmin and told them about Geocaching and that they should use it for sales. The intent back a year ago was to promote what we do. I'm happy to see that they have created a page just for Geocaching!

When I orinally talked to them they had never heard of it and promised to check into to it...apparently they did.

I really don't see your beef about this. It promotes our game/sport. Of course that is just my opinion. icon_biggrin.gif

El Diablo

I know exposing the GeoCaching is a good thing, but it is a free activity. Other than the people that have paid for the $30/yr membership I'm not sure where Jeremy finds the money to keep this site running.

All I'm saying is that the GPS manufactures are profiting from this site and it would be nice if they would recognize that and give a little back.

Webservers, bandwidth, time......it not cheap.

Chip

No pun intended. Look at it this way.....if there were no Garmins or Megallens (did I spell that right?) there would be no geocaching. So should Jeremy pay these companies a fee? After all if it weren't for them he would be out of business!

I for one support Geocaching and I show it by being a chartered member. I don't think people should pass the buck to pay for what they enjoy doing! Do you?

El Diablo

One way to look at this is that Garmin has declared Jeremy the official keeper of geocaching and is directing people to an opportunity to contribute $30/year. Of course, if he wanted to Jeremy might pursue Garmin and Magellan as corporate sponsors. (P.S. no need for flames about me not being a charter member yet, soon will be)

Be Seeing You!

I'm not passing anything, I'm a member too. The GPS manufacturers were around long before geocaching was and now due in part to this site they are doing better financially. I'm just saying that it would be nice for them to give something back to a non profit website that is making their pockets fatter.

Everyone who joins is a member. There are two tiers. The non-paying member gets regular services in the same way non-paying members of Yahoo can get an email address and 4MB of storage for free. Then there is Charter Membership where $30 a year gets you certain additional features in the same way you can buy additional MB of storage from Yahoo. Your money does not go to geocaching.com but to Groundspeak the parent corporation of geocaching.com. that is developing other businesses and applications that Jeremy is currently keeping quiet to protect his business plans. Jeremy also promised to provide additional services to Charter Members as these businesses are developed in consideration for the Charter Membership fee you have paid. Aditional income is also generated by the sales of web advertising, sales of geocaching.com t-shirts, clothes, and other items.

Geocaching.com is a business enterprise. As Jeremy has stated many times it is not a non-profit organization. To my knowledge, he has never stated he does not get paid by the GPS companies directly. That is conjecture on your part. However, there are banners and ads by Amazon.com and others on the www.geocaching.com home page who are advertising GPS equipment for sale. One would assume they are paying for advertising. Additionally as previously stated, both geocaching and the GPS manufacturers provide exposure for each others web sites so that each can increase their customer base, a mutually advantageous situation.

Alan