HOW TO CREATE A GREAT CACHE EXPERIENCE

Jomarac5

Over the last few days I've had a few conversations with a number of local cachers regarding finding a solution to increase the overall quality of the caches in our region.

All of us have recently heard complaints, have personally noticed, and read cache logs that are implying that a number of the newer caches have been placed in less than stellar locations (school yards, playgrounds, below high tide areas in leaky containers, known crime areas, etc.).

We've also noticed that the number of caches that have gone missing has increased in the last while, indicating that the caches may not have been hidden well enough to keep non-cachers from finding them (no cache pirate comments please).

In many cases, the caches themselves had not been prepared very well (post-it notes for log books, leaky containers, lack of explanation sheet, etc).

New cachers have placed most of these sub-standard caches, but a number are from people that have been caching for a while. We're of the mind that some educating might help out in getting some better cache experiences.

It got me thinking of something that might benefit everyone -- let's put together a list of all the attributes that make for a really top-notch cache experience. When it's done, edit the thread to eliminate any clutter (redundancies, personal comments, etc.), and post the information in the Getting Started forum area. It'll take some time to compile this info but the effort will most likely produce some interesting and helpful results.

This discussion should focus only on what makes a cache really good -- we all pretty much know what makes a cache bad, but that topic would be better suited for a separate thread of its own. What advice would you give a new cacher that wants to place their first cache?

What we should be determining with this discussion are all the little details that make a cache experience run smoothly.

So the question here is:

How do you create a great cache experience?

I'll get the ball rolling with...

Read cache logs.

Before placing your first cache, read some local cache logs and visit caches that have really positive reviews. This will expose you to caches that are good examples, and chances are, have had considerable thought and effort put into area placement, hiding spot, container, and cache contents.

Try and make it fun for a majority of the cachers instead of a few is a good start. Like a truly "great" cache would be one that most people could reach instead of just a few diehards (nothing wrong with those) i.e. one that didn't require hanging from the side of a cliff while useing a mountain goat to prod the cache from the rattle snake infested hole. While that may be fun ( I think it would be a hoot), not everyone would think so.

I think that would be a good base to build from.

When in doubt...hit it with a big hammer.

I think you said it when you mentioned creating a well thought out cache. To that end I only have 3 'real' caches and all of them were well thought out, along with putting a lot of time and money into them there was a lot of love put in.

So when you have these great caches its important to get people out to them. When you get others out to them and they like them I think they realize that its not really all about park and grabs. I've also worked on placing caches with others in my area and they've inspired others to place well thought out caches, its contagious (sp?) And that is very cool.

So when you have that great cache, setup a mini event to get people out there to hunt it. Thats always been fun for us, little impromtu cache hunting events.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Caching without a clue....

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

I think you said it when you mentioned creating a well thought out cache. To that end I only have 3 'real' caches and all of them were well thought out, along with putting a lot of time and money into them there was a lot of love put in.

So when you have these great caches its important to get people out to them. When you get others out to them and they like them I think they realize that its not really all about park and grabs. I've also worked on placing caches with others in my area and they've inspired others to place well thought out caches, its contagious (sp?) And that is very cool.

So when you have that great cache, setup a mini event to get people out there to hunt it. Thats always been fun for us, little impromtu cache hunting events.

http://www.mi-geocaching.org/

I am not debating you in any way here but one of my favorite cache ever was a park and grab because it was so in the public and so obvious yet muggles over looked it every day and even cachers had problems because I think they over thought it, and wanted to make it harder then it was.

So what I am saying is that to a point any cache could be great depending on the cacher who finds it. Kinda like art is in the eye of the beholder and all. icon_biggrin.gif

Oh I also meant to say that I agree in a well thought out cache. We have thrown a lot of them out there in our haste to place a cache when we first started but now we are putting more thought into it. I think it is a rookie thing sometimes to throw some stuff out that isn't realy thought out (We did a bunch of them) because you get so excited because it is such a cool hobby. We are going to archive them as they go missing and replace them with better caches.

I think a great cache experience is made by the description of the cache itself. Since the GPS is good to within 15 feet or so, I like caches whose description gives some subtle hints about how to find it within those last 15 feet.

I encourage cache planters to include in the description some cryptic sort of remark that the cacher could read and then "see" the cache location. People should only have to go to the encrypted hint(s) as a very last resort.

I am happy with the terrain and difficulty listing as a way to sort caches.

"When I got to the tomb, it was empty."

Oh heck yeah.

When I say park and grab I'm refering to the really lame ones (which tend to be most of them). I think what you are refering to is an urban cache. I love urban caches and wish there were more around here. Its my new goal to make urban caches for a while. I have ideas for two and have been very very slowly working on them. Yes they can be considered park and grabs because you can park on top of them but its so creative you wouldn't think twice about it like you stated.

Urbans baby, add that to your list. They take a lot of imagination.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Chris&Cindy:

Oh I also meant to say that I agree in a well thought out cache. We have thrown a lot of them out there in our haste to place a cache when we first started but now we are putting more thought into it. I think it is a rookie thing sometimes to throw some stuff out that isn't realy thought out (We did a bunch of them) because you get so excited because it is such a cool hobby. We are going to archive them as they go missing and replace them with better caches.

Yup.

I was warned in our regional thread here when I first started not to place a lame cache. Warned in a nice way and the advice I got was well worth it. I have placed 2 virts which I feel guilty about and plan on changing them into real caches. I did use a unique way for people to log them though.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Chris&Cindy:

I am not debating you in any way here but one of my favorite cache ever was a park and grab because it was so in the public and so obvious yet muggles over looked it every day and even cachers had problems because I think they over thought it, and wanted to make it harder then it was.

Some of the greatest caches blend in with the environment so well, muggles pass by them every day without a clue. There has been a recent trend towards urban micro caches in my area. We've been trying to out-do each other by finding more and more devious containers. I won't give away any secrets here, but my vote is for the container to blend in with the surroundings so only those that are looking for a cache will find it (Think of the Room Of Requirement in HP#5).

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness bandbass.gif

Following all the rules for a great cache as proposed in these very forums will pretty much rule out any cache at all.

Given that: in order to actually place a great cache you will have to ignore some or all of the rules.

If you are going to ignore some of the rules, then you might as well do what you want anyway because you sure as heck won't make everyone happy.

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

Following all the rules for a great cache as proposed in these very forums will pretty much rule out any cache at all.

Given that: in order to actually place a great cache you will have to ignore some or all of the rules.

If you are going to ignore some of the rules, then you might as well do what you want anyway because you sure as heck won't make everyone happy.

LOL have you ever thought about being a lawyer icon_biggrin.gif No offense intended.

A unique location that is "special" to the cache hider. The kind of place where the majority of locals will say "I've lived in this area all of my life, and never knew this neat place existed".

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.

geol4.JPG

Due to the area we live in we have chosen to place most of our caches out away from town.

The first thing we do is choose an area where we feel others will want to spend some time even (or especially) after finding the cache. Some place where they might want to take others so they might also enjoy the area.

We look for something unique about the area. Usually it will be someplace we have been to numerous times and really enjoy ourselves.

We try to vary the difficulty from cache to cache in the hopes of giving different groups of cachers a chance at finding one of our caches.

John of 2oldfarts

Human beings can always be counted on to assert with vigor their God-given right to be stupid.--Dean Koontz

Even little things like dressing up the container (not literally,...but hey why not) add a touch of originality to a cache. Let your kid at 'er with the paintbrush etc. Perhaps a cache could have a interesting permanent resident.etc.

Anyone else bored of Loc-N-Loc's containing a stuffed Santa and a few dinky toys.

Something redeeming about the location or route to would also be nice.

Just as it is the mantra of the restaurant business, so should it be the mantra of the cache hider: Location, Location, Location! A so-so hide in a cool location still makes for a good cache; a good hide in a crummy location can still be a very bad experience. A good hide in a good location, well that's what sets the great ones apart.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Moun10Bike:

Just as it is the mantra of the restaurant business, so should it be the mantra of the cache hider: _Location, Location, Location!_ A so-so hide in a cool location still makes for a good cache; a good hide in a crummy location can still be a very bad experience. A good hide in a good location, well that's what sets the great ones apart.

http://geocachingwa.org

It's hard to find a good location in Memphis if the view is what people want as there is urban or trees. We have no hills or such so there are no grand vistas and such. Just trees or buildings. (Waiting for the desert folks to get wound up or the great plains folks too I guess)

Good stuff here. Could those that are straying off of the topic, please not do so? Thanks. I've thought of another thing:

Survey the cache placement area

Consider that cachers may not be coming to retreive the cache at the same time that you are placing it.

It's important to also consider the appearance that someone will have when they are wandering around looking for a cache. In some situations the cacher can get clever and come up with a 'cover' (such as using your GPS as a phone, or pretending to be taking pictures of a stump beside the trail), but there are other places that, will most likely draw unwarranted attention.

Schools are a good example -- a 40 year old man might draw attention to himself and end up having to answer embarrasing police questions. Under a bridge near an military base or an airfield could also (and has) created problems.

There will be a wide variety of different types of people going to your cache, consider whether or not someone will look suspicous or out of place in the area -- if there is doubt, you may be better off looking for an alternate location for your cache.

Even in urban setting ther are very fine ways to do caches. you just have to think outside the box when it come to cache containers. I really enjoy hunting and hiding urban style caches both micro and regular caches. for example one of my urban caches is a keycahin exchange. Sorry to get off topic what really makes a good cache is preparation & planning. If you come up with a truly unique idea or a theme and it gives some mystery or thinking to the cache then it can be quite a memorable cache. One other thing that I have done i think is quite nice is to do the cache page in 1st person ie from an armadillo's point of view about these crazy guys hiding a metal box by his house.

boldly going where others have gone before

quote:
Originally posted by Jomarac5:

Could those that are straying off of the topic, please not do so? Thanks. *****

Oh, good lord.... is the topic now going to change to "Straying off Topic" again? There are already several threads on that topic.

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.

geol4.JPG

Make sure your container is weatherproof/resistant. There's nothing worse than opening a cache that is full of water mixed with bio-degradeable trade items.

Well, chiggers are worse, but that's the only thing.

Okay, ticks also.

Someone could have urinated in the cache.

Alright, there are worse things, but it is a good idea to have a good container that doesn't leak.

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness bandbass.gif

quote:
Chris&Cindy wrote:

Try and make it fun for a majority of the cachers instead of a few is a good start.

Good point -- another aspect of this is that caches that are physically difficult to access will not likely get a lot of traffic -- as a first cache you definitely will enjoy it more if you are getting lots of logs on your cache page. Sometimes however, there are exceptions, when I placed this cache in an out of the way location that required a short but adventurous hike, I didn't expect that it would get more than a couple logs a year -- in 3 1/2 months it's had ten people log it.

quote:
umc wrote:

Yes! We have a number of awesome caches in our area that obviously had a great deal of planning. Some of these caches absolutely inspired me -- and gave me more incentive to 'compete' a bit to create caches that will rival the good ones. Ties in a lot with the suggestion to check logs of local caches.

The mini event is a great idea. It's a bit of effort to put an event together, so you might want to have a few placed caches under your belt before doing one. Incidentally, I've recently placed three caches in an inlet near Vancouver and have been organizing an overnight kayak trip in two weeks to pick up these and four other caches.

quote:
Renegade Knight wrote:

I don't agree. You can abide by all the current rules and still put out some exemplary caches.

quote:
Seneca wrote:

A unique location that is "special" to the cache hider. The kind of place where the majority of locals will say "I've lived in this area all of my life, and never knew this neat place existed".

Excellent point. Lot's of my logs have echoed exactly what you've said. Your Stepping Stones cache is a gem that is located in a park that I have driven past many times over the years.

I think *creativity* is the key here. That pretty much involves *location* too. For me, a good cache involves a creative application to a good location. Cool containers, camouflage, and neat *goodies* are important, too.

==============="If it feels good...do it"================

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")**

I also think that part of the experience is also how the cache itself has been prepared.

I put together explanation sheets that are sized to fit the containers (I re-format the text in a word processor). I then print the info on both sides of paper and stop in at my local Staples store (office supply chain) and get them laminated. I get 2 or 3 sheets (depending on size) done at a time for a buck.

Because the laminate protects it, I know the sheet won't get thrashed from people picking it up or getting it wet if it's raining -- as a cache owner, it's just a little detail that I don't have to worry about.

This question reminded me of a couple of logs I record a year ago. My opinion has changed little over the course of a year.

"This is without a doubt one of the best caches we've ever seen! Enjoyed every aspect of it. The puzzle was fun to solve. The setting spectacular. The park a treasure. The waypoints distinctive and fascinating. Makes you want to come back and/or research the whole area. Not only that, the cache was located in a fantastic hiding place, and chock full of interesting stuff--not the usual trivial drivel. "

"This ... cache ... had all the right elements -- a great walk, beautiful scenery, interesting side trips, and fascinating surprise at the end. This was the cache that convinced our friends and hosts for the day to take up geocaching themselves."

When I place a cache I try to find an area that has something of interest for others to see. This is not always the case, but I try. I like finding caches that give a history lesson or show me places that I’ve never been to before. I try to do the same when placing caches. It could be as simple as using a plaque/marker with historical information as a beacon to the final cache. I use the familiarity of the areas I know and use Geocaching to show others.

GF

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

logo_small.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by PastorCacher:

I think a great cache experience is made by the description of the cache itself. Since the GPS is good to within 15 feet or so, I like caches whose description gives some subtle hints about how to find it within those last 15 feet.

I encourage cache planters to include in the description some cryptic sort of remark that the cacher could read and then "see" the cache location. People should only have to go to the encrypted hint(s) as a very last resort.

I am happy with the terrain and difficulty listing as a way to sort caches.

Your comment was well taken. The thing I have noticed here, and others may have seen this elsewhere is the multicache that requires precision down to the 1000ths of a minute to get the math right. With GPS accuracy being 15-30 feet, errors pop in and can really get you messed up. The descriptions would be a good way to give some one a check on their math.

The terrain and difficulty scoring systems don't seem to work all that well here. We have some that are several miles from the commonly used parking area, but only 3/4 mile from some underutilized entrance. The 1/1 cache turns into a 1/3 or 4 cache quickly.

What makes a cache great for me is that its either really cleverly hid or its in a place that is uncommonly visited and neat.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nebraskache/

I would suggest that someone intent on hiding a cache take their time with the preparation of the cache itself. The amount of time spent on preparing a cache is in direct correlation with how memorable that cache will be to cachers in the future. Rather than going out and placing 15 rubbermaid sandwich containers with odds and ends in a local municipal park, take the time to work on the story/description/theme of a cache and put items that you yourself would want to find in the cache. I've only done 30 or so caches but I remember the cache that people obviuosly labored over much better than the caches where someone stuck a piece of tupperware in a tree stump.

Containers that don't leak and that are large enough to support a few larger trade items than those that you start out with. I have seen two caches that were in containers that were well suited to the location that they were hidden in but were too small to contain fairly 'normal' trade items. They were bulging and in one case some idiot had placed an item in there which was WAY too big and actually left the lid off so that the item could be left.

A bit of thought in the description placed on the website is nice too. If I have to choose a cache for a short trip out I will likely NOT go to the one that says "It's stuff in a box and it's here - XX XX.XXXN XX.XXXW" The bait is all on the website!!!

Only nuts eat squirrels,

Snake

I also have only a couple of caches because I don't care to just go stick rubbermaid containers under bushes. So, my caches (both rural) took some planning. I am working on a couple of creative urban ones right now, hope to have them up in a week or two. Anyway, I like to see caches that do one or more of several things:

(1) Takes me on a nice walk through an interesting area. The longer the walk, consider making the cache fairly easy to find, because people will get annoyed if they hike for miles and can't find the cache. If it is hard to find, make sure that is clear on the cache page so the hiker knows what to expect.

(2) Takes me to an interesting place that many people don't seem to know about. I once visited an average cache placed at a trails museum that I had no idea existed. The cache was OK, and the museam great. So, I loved the experience.

(3) If urban, one that is a creative hide. I have seen a few caches that were in busy public places that blended in so well that I actually had a hard time finding them. My favorite was in a parking garage. With that said, I also can imagine one in plain sight and easy to find that will still amuse people simply by the fact that the general public seems to overlook it (I think Criminal has a cache like this?)

(4) Anything else interesting or creative. E.g. caches that use travel bugs as keys, an interesting hide inside a hollowed out stump, an underwater cache, etc. Basically, if it is more than the usual rubbermaid under a bush in a park, it will be a more interesting cache than many others.

pokeanim3.gif

I bought a cool Michigan trail Atlas for my father, and after he scouted out some areas, he hid 2 caches in the area. Both caches have been well received by the finders so far.

I think taking folks into an otherwise unknown area is my favorit caching experience. Even roadside parks off of busy highways can be a cool place to cache, as some of those trails can be really long.

Actively monitor your placed caches and promptly respond to any emails inquiring about the cache. I am also much more likely to visit a cache where I can see that the owner has written several logs with updates or changes to the cache. It shows he cares about YOUR experience.

And for a personal tidbit: Searching for hours in a rock pile with a 30 foot radius is NOT my idea of a great experience.

--CoronaKid

Make it challeging, so that the finder will have a sense of satisfaction in finding the cache. A well hidden urban micro, a long hike on a little used trail, an interesting puzzle to solve, can all be challenges that make a cache memorable.

Don't make it too challenging that it is frustrating. Of course, a higher difficulty rating may indicate that one might not find a cache on a first attempt. Give hints that are useful. The worst experience is to decode a hint after looking for an hour that doesn't provide any useful information

東西南北

Why do I always find it in the last place I look?

One of the most important things that a newbie geocacher should do when placing their first caches is...WAIT!

Let me clarify. Many common mistakes could be eliminated (or at least greatly reduced) if they waited to place their first cache untill after they have found at least 8-10 caches. By doing this, it will give them a much better idea as to what makes a good cache and what makes a bad cache. Search out a number of caches. Learn from them. What did you like about the cache? What did you dislike? And would you "like" the one you're placing?

I searched out and found 10-12 caches before placing my first (and, so far, only) cache. Mine hasn't had alot of traffic, but I knew that would be the case because of the terrain. It has, however, been very well received by those that have visited it, because the area/views/features make it worth the hike.

Again, cache, learn, think, then hide.

We don't stop playing because we grow old...we grow old because we stop playing!

quote:
Originally posted by Jomarac5:

quote:
Renegade Knight wrote:

I don't agree. You can abide by all the current rules and still put out some exemplary caches...

Like you said you don't have to ignore the current rules in place on this site to place a good cache. However if I actually lined out every rule I've seen proposed in the forums you probably would.

Rules take time and energy to enforce and you will get resistance so they have to be worth it. I'm in the less is more camp when it comes to rules.

Besides I really don't want to dampen the enthusiasm of newbies by making them wait to contribute to geocaching. My first hide was a good one and I was really and truly impressed with geocaching.com the approver and that people came to my cache and found it. It set the hook when I was still nibbling on the pasttime.

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

To that end I only have 3 'real' caches and all of them were well thought out, along with putting a lot of time and money into them there was a lot of love put in.

Ah, the kinder and gentler DOOT bucket! icon_wink.gif

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

quote:
Renegade Knight wrote:

Like you said you don't have to ignore the current rules in place on this site to place a good cache. However if I actually lined out every rule I've seen proposed in the forums you probably would.

Proposed rules are really a whole other discussion that we shouldn't get into here, but there is an aspect of this that is very relevant to this thread:

Read the Cache Placement Guidelines

Understanding ahead of time, what will and will not be approved can save you some frustration and will most likely help you avoid some of the common cache placement pitfalls.

If you have a question about something that isn't covered in the guidelines or you think might be a problem with your placement, contact an approver. Approvers are very good at responding in a timely manner and if there is a problem with your submission, they may be offer alternate suggestions to help you get your cache approved.

quote:
canadazuuk wrote:

A simple goto cache, well hidden, in a nice place will suffice.

quote:
GeoFool wrote:

When I place a cache I try to find an area that has something of interest for others to see. This is not always the case, but I try. I like finding caches that give a history lesson or show me places that I’ve never been to before.

These two posts are both very important.

Look around for a good location.

But what makes a location good for placing a cache?

I read the cache page and the logs a lot when I'm caching, but I've never placed a cache, so bear that in mind.

If the cache is wheelchair-accessible, please say so in the cache page. I geocache with people of varying physical abilities (and am one myself)-- it's great to know if somone can reach the cache from a wheelchair or not, or if they can reach the cache site, at least. Note that having a ramp up to the cache site doesn't make the cache itself wheelchair accessible if the cache is 8' up.

If the cache is in a dog-friendly area, note that, too, please. I can't geocache with my dog anymore, but I definitely feel that geocaching should be a canine-friendly sport.

I love the urban cachesv (especially micros-- I'm wild about micros), because I have more fun in finding them. In my area, you have urban, and you have hills. I hate hiking hills-- it's bad on my asthma. So a clever hiding place, a well-thought micro or urban container, a spot that isn't obvious, a puzzle I have to figure out in order to find the cache-- these are all ways to place a great urban cache, for me. Not putting one next to the local minimum security prison is a plus, as I refuse to search next to the prison.

Rate the difficulty and terrain accurately. There's a terrain:4 in my area that just isn't a 4. It was placed by a young kid, and all the logs point out that it's more like a 2 or 3. I read the logs, but I've avoided this one because I don't think I can tackle a Terrain 3 yet, and if it's more like a 4, I want to avoid it.

As for location: show me something beautiful in my city where I don't have to risk an asthmatic attack, a sprained ankle, or canine heat stroke to visit. One of my favorite caches is OverLooking a Hidden Lake (in Milpitas, CA), because it's a lovely little fishing pond in the middle of the city where I work-- a little bit of beauty in the middle of a very busy city. This one is almost wheelchair accessible, but well-hidden enough I had to search for 30 minutes to find it. Another favorite is Ocean View (Santa Cruz)-- I've actually taken new geocachers there to hunt it because it's wheelchair accessible as well as being just lovely to visit.

I've never seen a bad cache! Even missing and wet ones offer their unique experiences and often lead to email communication with the owner to give a heads-up about a particular problem. I have communicated with some great folks in this fashion and wouldn't trade those experiences for anything. I like easy city caches that are in busy areas, and I like hard hikes in remote areas, as well. I have several in areas that require strenous hikes, even overnight backpacking caches. I am saying just let new cache owners learn on their own curve like most of us did. When a cache is wet, email the owner and let them figure out why it is wet and how to remedy that. New cachers need encouragement of a hands-off nature, because cachers are very resourceful and certainly extremely intelligent. I mean very very smart. If a cache isn't one of your favorites, move on to your next find.

Best Regards

Take Reconnaissance Photos

I've found that using a camera is helpful when scoping out a potential cache location. I quite often take pictures of areas, including signs that have park information or trail and area maps. I can reference these later as I'm putting together my cache description (signs with park restrictions are quite useful) or use information such as a telephone numbers or a fact about the park to create puzzle or multi-caches.

It seems I get lots more sattisfaction from hiding caches and making up the 5-star puzzles for determining their coordinates than I do from searching for them. I take pride in producing some really unique ones, and have many ideas for more. Here's some things I think a good cache ought to have.

(1) There ought to be a pre-search puzzle activity that the finder gets to do at home, before he starts out. Let's you do some geocaching after hours. The puzzles ought to be tough enough that a person gets involved in it, gets a personal investment in it, and a commitment to solving it and later finding it, come what may.

...a) Perhaps some educational aspect regarding how to better use your equipment or how to better solve different types of puzzles, math for instance.

...:) Perhaps some entirely different and novel types of puzzles and activities.

...c) Perhaps a variety of novel types of codes.

(2) The actual search ought to involve some "activity," in addition to just hiking, as well.

...a) Perhaps a couple of intermediate, "discovered" directions that one must find prior to the cache. Perhaps a fun surprise "find" (with instructions to recover) that results from falling for an intended "trap" in the instructions.

...:D Perhaps some compass orienteering direction- and distance- finding activity.

...c) Perhaps some virtual aspects, to discover parts of the coordinates.

...d) Perhaps a variety of novel ways of tag-coding legs of a multi-cache to yield coordinates for the next leg.

(3) Because 5-star puzzle caches are not going to be found by many people, and then only over a long period of time, perhaps years, the cache box itself practically has to be an ammo can, to reliably seal and last that long; and, it must be extremely well or remotely hidden, to not be discovered by geomuggles in all that time.

(4) Certainly the terrain ought to be interesting and enjoyable to search around within.

(5) The hiding place ought to be prominent and recognizable as such to a geocacher when he gets close to it. It ought to be a "likely" looking place, not a needle in a haystack.

[This message was edited by Don&Betty on August 22, 2003 at 08:29 PM.]

[This message was edited by Don&Betty on August 22, 2003 at 08:34 PM.]

[This message was edited by Don&Betty on August 22, 2003 at 08:38 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Pharmadude:

This question reminded me of a couple of logs I recorded a year ago. My opinion has changed little over the course of a year.

"This is without a doubt one of the best caches we've ever seen! Enjoyed every aspect of it. The puzzle was fun to solve. The setting spectacular. The park a treasure. The waypoints distinctive and fascinating. Makes you want to come back and/or research the whole area. Not only that, the cache was located in a fantastic hiding place, and chock full of interesting stuff--not the usual trivial drivel. "

"This ... cache ... had all the right elements -- a great walk, beautiful scenery, interesting side trips, and fascinating surprise at the end. This was the cache that convinced our friends and hosts for the day to take up geocaching themselves."