What in the He!! is going on?????

Okay, I've noticed another round of newbies who think they know what is best for Geocaching after having found 10 or 12 caches. They are now experts and know all there is to know and want to tell the rest of us what we are doing wrong. Now anyone who's been around for a while has seen it before, but it has rarely been explained. I'm taking a poll to see what everyone thinks the reason for such attitudes could be.

So, why do newbies think they know it all?

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

quote:
Originally posted by Rubeeslpr:

Your post seems a little extreme. Who elected YOU king of the geocachers?

Lighten up.

Profile for Rubeeslpr

Member since June, 2003

Caches Found/Hidden: 11/0

OMG! I sure hope you were trying to be as funny as you are, Rubee!

Breaktrack: I owe you a beer!

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

I posted on the boards a whole lot more when I got started (not too long ago).

While I never presumed to redefine the game, I did think I had some lofty ideas. Sadly, none of them really took hold. icon_wink.gif I guess my point is that it's easy to get caught up in things that are new in your life. So, cut the new folks some slack. (Myself included. icon_razz.gif)

-Vb

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

quote:

Lighten up.

Profile for Rubeeslpr

Member since June, 2003

Caches Found/Hidden: 11/0

OMG! I sure hope you were trying to be as funny as you are, Rubee!

Breaktrack: I owe you a beer!

+ _Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon. _

Thanks Mopar, at least you get the humor intended....lol. Funny how those that don't make my point for me.....LOL.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by mtn-man:

quote:

Lighten up.

YEAH! You are forgetting that I'm the king! http://community.the-underdogs.org/smiley/happy/biggrinking.gif http://community.the-underdogs.org/smiley/happy/naughty.gif

Oh man, I'm sorry mtn-man, I forgot! It won't happen again....lol.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

quote:

Lighten up.

Actually, it's just a joke, just don't tell anyone....shhhhh.

I am honored you chose my forum subject to make your first post to. Welcome.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

yes sure it was a joke and yes another newbie,and I know **** but what i do know is you don,t have to have along neck to be a goose.10 points for your promotional effort HONK HONK.

I am drunk and you are ugly, but tomorrow I will be sober but you will still be ugly

Every sport or hobby has waves of people who come in. And every new influx (wave) of people think they know everything, even more than those who were there before them.

I remember a time when the 'Net was being flooded by newbie AOL'rs who thought that they knew everything. A serious concern arose among the already Internet-savvy people that the end of life as we knew it was near.

For the most part, the AOL'rs subsided and have mostly realized that their knowledge is limited. Either that or they just crawled unders rocks and disappeared. Either that or we all managed to ignore them. Either that or ...

Anyway, new people arrrive and life continues. It's the way life works.

YMMV

maybe it's because I don't spend much time on the boards here, but I haven't a clue what this is about. I'm sure everyone will now check my profile to prove I don't know anything because I'm a newbie. Only two months in and 30 found. I know I never presumed to know it all. I learn something new about it all the time. It would be nice for some of the veterans to share their wisdom. But hey, everyone starts somewhere, no one was born a geocacher, we're all new as some point.

Surgeon General's Warning: Bad Influences may have a dramatic effect on your attitude.

I'm glad I didn't discover these forums until I'd been geocaching for 3-4 months. Otherwise I would have have been one of those smug, know-it-alls with 5 finds and no hides.

So now I'm a smug, know-it-all with 139 finds and 50 hides.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

Ok Breaktrack, I'll bite on this one as I like to discuss things. Whether they are in reference to my thread that I started that you remarked on or in general reference.

Just because someone is newer than others and haven't been around for a long time does not mean that they have opinions or as Verboten put it "lofty ideas". I would imagine that the whole thing started with newcomers suggesting ideas to help fine tune to the point of where it is now. Many businesses have "suggestion boxes". Do they require that you work there or shop there for a certain amount of time before you can submit a suggestion or idea? I haven't come across one that stated that. Just because one has not done something, does't mean they don't have an idea to better it. It also doesn't mean that one can question something that is not written in stone or that is not defined. For example, what is considered a newbie? Ones definition of that is different than anothers. Of course if remarks on what their definition is, then there will be some people who agree with them, there will be many who don't and have their own idea. Since you are in Law Enforcement then you will understand such definitions, especially when you use them every day in your career. Theres a reason for them and there may be some that even you don't agree with, but they are there for a reason, but when there is no defintion of something, then it is open and people can not dictate otherwise on it.

The whole forum has become a turf thing. Kind of like Hawaiian surfers, "The beach is our beach, it's for locals only". some one like myself comes in that is talkative and likes to discuss things gets bashed for it. Then you get the ole' "wait till you've done it or wait till you've got more numbers on the board", especially when ones dictates that as credibility. People cache when they can. I've been on board, just over a month, I have 12 finds. I think that is pretty decent. I don't have the chance to do it much during the week. Sometimes I get lucky and can. And even then on the weekends I don't get the chance to do a whole bunch as I have a family and there are other things to tend to. There are many others (not all) that point fingers at "newbie" numbers, when in fact the newbie is caching more on an average than the person pointing the finger. Then there are those that point fingers about placing caches, when a good portion, if not most of their caches are archived. Ok, I haven't placed one, does that mean I don't know how to or that I can't? Does it meant that it takes a brain surgeon to maintain one? Then they attack personally and talk about credibility.

Newbies are people too and have just as much right to post what they want and how often they want.

Brian Wood

Woodsters Outdoors

http://www.woodsters.com

I say put away the pompous attitude (and joking) and encourage the newbies to post away, regardless of whether they are acting like know-it-alls or not. My experience has been that when you bring in new blood, you get the out-of-the-box thinking that brings the innovative ideas to light.

RM