20 Questions

OK, you all know the old game of 20 questions. Well, this site allows you to play the game by seeing if the computer can guess your object. It learns as more people play the game. New items can be submitted for addition to the database. Warning! It is very addictive!

Anyway, I ran geocache and GPS receiver through it and neither were in the database. I submitted them for review. Apparently the more requests for an item (e.g. the more times it is attempted to be run through the system) the more likely/quicker it will be added.

So, consider running geocache, gps receiver and related items through it!

pokeanim3.gif

[This message was edited by carleenp on June 13, 2003 at 07:12 PM.]

I will add that if you don't register, you get the G rated verison, which is fine for geocaching items, but you miss out on seeing or trying some possible items. I thought it was funny that when I first ran geocache that it listed cannabis and gun (among other interesting things) as possible items! Also, the FAQ says it takes registered users more seriously. I don't think it would create spam (it seems very legit), but I did give it an alternate email just in case.

pokeanim3.gif

Does it know "geocaching" or "a geocache" yet? It didn't know them when I tried it the other day. It knew GPS but had trouble with it.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Well the mountain was so beautiful that this guy built a mall and a pizza shack

Yeah he built an ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back -- Dar Williams

quote:
Does it know "geocaching" or "a geocache" yet? It didn't know them when I tried it the other day. It knew GPS but had trouble with it.

It didn't know "a geocache" or " a GPS receiver" when I ran it last night. I submitted them for review. I think I will try plain "GPS." I tried "geocaching" but found that the questions didn't work well for it and then reset it and ran "geocache" since that, as a physical object, better fit the questions.

I don't know how long it takes for items to be added, but the FAQ made it sound like often requested items got first review.

pokeanim3.gif

quote:
It guessed GPS correctly for us in 16 questions.

I just ran "GPS" on it and it didn't get it, but had it in the database. I think that could be because I answered the questions for "GPS" broadly, thinking of both receivers and the satellite system. Hence, if it asked e.g. "does it weigh less than a pound of butter" or "can you mail it?" I answered "maybe."

pokeanim3.gif

I played...it was fun. I tried gps too, it didn't guess it, but when it gave up it knew what "A GPS" is. However, it said I contradicted it's defination and said that...

quote:
A GPS is not pleasurable

A GPS might not be able to be found in a classroom

A GPS is probably not multicolored

A GPS is not something you can hear

You cannot put something into a GPS

I think...

A gps IS pleasurable icon_biggrin.gif

And you may be able to find one in a classroom!

A GPS can sometimes be multicolored.

And you can hear some Gps's.

And you CAN put something into a gps...batteries, waypoints, data, etc!

Happy Halloween

I got the pleasurable and classroom questions too (you get different questions sometimes if you play the same object over). I said "probably" that it could be pleasurable and I think I put "sometimes" for classroom. I also got asked if it was comforting and said "sometimes." It listed that as a contradiction too.

Basically, it learns from people's responses, so it's decision to list those as contradictions could change over time. At this point, I am never sure what to do about the "does it live above ground" type question. Does that mean a "no" if it isn't alive or a "yes" if it is usually above ground?

Anyway, I would like to see people run "geocache" through it and get it added! I thought that would be cool!

pokeanim3.gif

I had the same kind of reaction when I used the word scarab (like ancient Egyptian scarab).

It had it in its data base as not manufactured, not pleasurable, not valuable...

It kind of lost interest for me. Probably a good thing since I already have too many websites I play with.

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes

On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:

"Something hidden. Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --

"Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling , The Explorer 1898

quote:
I had the same kind of reaction when I used the word scarab (like ancient Egyptian scarab).

It had it in its data base as not manufactured, not pleasurable, not valuable...

It kind of lost interest for me. Probably a good thing since I already have too many websites I play with.

I would have said that a scarab was not manufactured because it is a type of beetle. I would have put "maybe" for pleasurable because it does have some mythology (and I even had a rug with a scarab pattern on it once that I really liked). I would have put "maybe" for valuable, because it depends on how you look at it as a symbol or an actual bug (and even there, I come from a family of entomologists!).

You know what, I'm going to go run that and see what happens! Edit: I just ran it and it listed it as a possibilty around question 23 and correctly guessed it at 30. BTW for those who haven't run the program, you win after 20, but it asks 30 to learn and possibly add unkown items.

As for too many web sites to play with, yeah... I'm in the same boat and have been kind of addicted to this one (the question site, not geocaching) recently, which is a bad thing! I almost hope I get tired with it soon, although that doesn't seem to be in sight at the moment!

pokeanim3.gif

[This message was edited by carleenp on June 13, 2003 at 08:26 PM.]

[This message was edited by carleenp on June 13, 2003 at 08:46 PM.]

Wow - I was thinking Corn Dog and it got it.

Strange!

1. It is classified as Other.

2. Can it be washed? Irrelevant.

3. Would you find it in an office? No.

4. Can you buy it at a store? Yes.

5. Do you hold it when you use it? Yes.

6. Is it usually colorful? Irrelevant.

7. Can it be used for recreation? No.

8. Would you use it daily? No.

9. Can you smell it? Yes.

10. Is it smooth? Yes

11. Does it come in a pack? Yes.

12. Does it taste sweet? No.

13. Would you find it on a farm? No.

14. Is it usually warm? Yes.

15. Is it straight? Yes.

16. Does it come from something larger? No.

17. Does it roll? Probably.

18. Does it get wet? No.

19. Can it fit in an envelope? No.

I am guessing that it is a corn dog?

---

I then thought of a bridge and it also got that. Very impressive.

I just ran corn dog and it didn't get it. I think I am too wishy-washy with answers. I tend to answer "maybe" alot! Anyway, I didn't keep track of the questions and answers, but here are the end comments (which reflect questions and answers):

Things I didn't know

A corn dog is not bigger than a human being

A corn dog does not grow in a bunch

You might not use a corn dog at night

A corn dog could not kill you

A corn dog does not have a hole in it

A corn dog is not shiny

A corn dog is smooth

A corn dog is not a pure-bred dog

Now, go run geocache through it (several times even) so that can be added!

Oh! On an off-topic, when I thought of "i-Mac" it guessed "Macintosh computer" at 17 before it ever made a general "computer" guess!

pokeanim3.gif

I just ran "geocache" through as a registered player and the concept was new to the computer. Among other things, it guessed motorcycle helmet and bikini.

I defined "geocache" as: the object of a GPS treasure hunt

Hope I wasn't presumptuous, being a newbie of sorts.

[This message was edited by sept1c_tank on June 13, 2003 at 11:45 PM.]

quote:
I defined "geocache" as: the object of a GPS treasure hunt

Hope I wasn't presumptious, being a newbie of sorts.

Great! Not presumptious at all! I defined it as "part of GPS game." I like your's better. I got hung up on that request for a 2 words or so description. It seemed kind of limited to me!

pokeanim3.gif

I just ran Geocache and it got nowhere close. Some of the questions it asked are difficult to answer and I suspect different people will give varying replies. I defined Geocache as "Hidden Container" We should all keep feeding it information and see if it learns anything about us.

Thanks, daughter (CarleenP) for another neat time waster!

NevaLP

quote:
I just ran Geocache and it got nowhere close. Some of the questions it asked are difficult to answer and I suspect different people will give varying replies. I defined Geocache as "Hidden Container" We should all keep feeding it information and see if it learns anything about us.

Thanks, daughter (CarleenP) for another neat time waster!

NevaLP

Hi Mom! You should post more often! and off-topic, I'm going to hide a cache at red tail tomorrow with Dad!

I think the varying answers from people are part of the learning process for it. The FAQ on the site explains the algorithim some. Anyway, I wish I knew how long it takes for items to be added. All I know is that the more an item is requested, the quicker the review to add it. I figure I will keep running geocache and gps receiver through it.

Oh! and I think I might try belly button lint next!

pokeanim3.gif

quote:
Hmmm .... naturally, I tried "bassoon." First it guessed "bagpipes," then "mandolin" before giving up. Bassoon was on the list of probable matches.

I've found that it does fine with the most common of musical instruments (e.g. piano, guitar, drum, etc.), but has trouble after that. I submitted tin whistle to it, and it couldn't get bodhran, but had it in the database. Probably people aren't playing less obvious instruments as often. Keep playing bassoon and see what happens (I'll run it too).

pokeanim3.gif

As long as we are talking about learning games, I made one of my own. It is an online version of the party game "Apples to Apples" Rules can be found here.

My version takes the answers you give and learns from them the 'correct' answer. I guess it would be more like Family Feud, since it is in fact polling all of you.

I have so many words in there, that it is not smart enough yet to be much more than random, so I need people to play and teach it. I have already got everyone in #geocache playing, so I might as well tell you here.

Go to my personal site and click on the link for "Mitsuko Match" to play.

I am interested in how they make the engine for the 20 question game, as I just kind of made up the engine for this game. Artificial intelligence is pretty complex. I doubt either of these games would pass the Turing Test.

stealyourcache.gif Ever notice how anyone that caches more than you do is a maniac, while anyone that caches less than you do is an idiot? -Dru Morgan

quote:
Originally posted by carleenp:

Anyway, I ran geocache and GPS receiver through it and neither were in the database. I submitted them for review. Apparently the more requests for an item (e.g. the more times it is attempted to be run through the system) the more likely/quicker it will be added.

Must have been added already. I played against it. The computer took 27 questions to get to GPS unit.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nebraskache/

Is there something risque about the site? I just tried to get it here at work (during my lunch time) but instead I received the dreaded big red hand and a STOP!! - ACCESS DENIED! message. I suppose my attempt probably popped up on some IT geek's screen at the same time and I will be dutifully chastised. This may be my last communication forever from this locale....

quote:
Is there something risque about the site? I just tried to get it here at work (during my lunch time) but instead I received the dreaded big red hand and a STOP!! - ACCESS DENIED! message. I suppose my attempt probably popped up on some IT geek's screen at the same time and I will be dutifully chastised. This may be my last communication forever from this locale....

LOL! You probably were denied access because the server was overloaded. It often says that there is heavy use. I have found though that after I registered it almost always lets me in.

I doubt it told your IT person about it though! I hope not! icon_biggrin.gif

On an off-topic, I just placed a new cache and my boyfriend and I were betting on who would be first finder. I bet you. Does that motivate you? icon_razz.gif

pokeanim3.gif