Ram Mount suction base

Mossy Oak

I use a RAM mount for my GPS V (suction cup on windshield of my Explorer and snowmobile, U-bolt connection for handlebar of motorcycle and mountain bike), and LOVE it! You definitely want to use it on the glass of the windshield, and not on the textured dash, though. I find that it sticks like a rock if you spread a very light film of water on it before adhering it to the glass, then move it around a little to squeeze out the excess water and let it dry. This is how I get it to stick to the snowmobile windscreen so well, even when the sled is getting banged around on the bumps at 40+ MPH.

My current RAM mount as well as previous ones for my GPSMap 76 and Vista all have/had provisions for attatching the power cable. The system is really a great one.

Moun10Bike's Geocaching Pages

for my Garmin V. I have it attached with the u-bolt to my motorcycle. I don't know about the cradle for other model GPSr's but the one for the GV has plenty of room to attach the power cable. More so than the Garmin cradle that came with it. My only complaint is that it is a little difficult to get the V into the cradle, but after reading about this same problem in a different post, I think I now have it figured out. You definitely don't have to worry about it falling out of the cradle icon_smile.gif.

KYtrex

-----------------

A "Buckeye" is just a "Hillbilly" that ran out of money on the way to Michigan jpshakehead.gif

Also use it for the Garmin V as well as my III+. Sticks to the glass well but sometimes falls off if in direct sunlight. both the antenna and the power/data outlet are fully accessible.

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

What is the price of experience, do men buy it for a song,

Or wisdom for a dance in the street.................

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

Also use it for the Garmin V as well as my III+. Sticks to the glass well but sometimes falls off if in direct sunlight. both the antenna and the power/data outlet are fully accessible.

I use it with the Garmin eMap and have the same experience with direct sunlight. I figure it's nature's way of telling me I shouldn't be leaving the GPS on my windshield while my car is parked in direct sunlight...

The mount for the eMap is quite good sturdy and control/connector accessable, but I do miss the one-button quick release of the garmin mount. I'm considering putting a RAM ball on the bottom of my Garmin cradle, so I can have the best of both worlds.

So, with the ball mounts, is it easy to detach the rest of the mount from the ball base?

I'm looking to mount my Meridian in a sit-on-top Kayak and being able to remove anything that sticks up more than a little would be a definite plus. It looks like I could pop-rivet the ball base to the kayak where the compass well is. Cool!

The RAM mounting system is great. You get one cradle/ball assembly, and then mount another ball (or several) on any other vehicle, letting you quickly move the unit from car to bike to pocket, etc. And unlike the Magellan 310 mount, the power cable doesn't attach to the unit through the cradle, it attaches to the unit and both are then placed in the cradle together. I've got a handlebar and dashboard mount for my Meridian. I've never had much success with any type of suction cup mounting system in the past.

quote:
Originally posted by infosponge:

So, with the ball mounts, is it easy to detach the rest of the mount from the ball base?

Yes, very. The arm that runs between the ball base and the cradle that holds the GPSr (which also has a ball connector) is essentially two pieces forming a long clamp. A large winged screw is used to tighten the halves of this arm down on the ball connectors, with springs between the two pieces providing additional resistance and keeping the parts together. To remove the mount from the ball base, you just undo the screw until it the arm is loose enough to remove from the ball.

Incidentally, I have never had problems with my suction cup releasing when baking in the sun. My little water trick with the suction cup (mentioned in a post above) may be the difference in getting the proper seal.

Moun10Bike's Geocaching Pages

I side exactly with Moun10bike on this one. A little water on the suction cup before you stick it to the windshield and it is THERE. My RAM mount was put on my truck windshield over a month ago and has yet to move. When I would stick the mount on the windshield with a dry suction cup, it might fall off hourly.