GPS very inaccurate near Bay Bridge....

We encountered a very strange phenomenon this past Saturday. We use the built in GPS Navigation system in our Acura quite often. We've checked it against our eTrex and they're very close.

On Saturday while driving up 880 in Oakland the Nav system went all but crazy while we were within a couple of miles of the bay bridge. It couldn't find us, thought we were off the road, then a quarter mile away, then moving in the wrong direction, etc. By the time we got 10 miles or so away, everything was fine.

We got to thinking, since we were at Terror Alert Orange, I wonder if they were somehow are introducing an error into the system near things like the Bay Bridge?

Has anybody else encountered anything like this?

<snip> I wonder if they...

They. 'They' are always getting the blame for things. I imagine they are too busy for such things. They are busy enough with all of the surveillance cameras: with the parking lot cameras watching couples make out, with the traffic signal cameras watching teens moon one another, with the hotel hallway cameras watching people streak, with the Splash Mtn camera...

Although Port of Oakland is on the top ten list, that selective scramble requires either a signal scrambling array or concerted SA/un-SA by multiple satellites. My Alameda signal reception is good.

I had a similar experience a few years ago during the days of SA. I was approximately 3 miles from the launch complex at Cape Canaveral in Florida. At a wide-open area of beach at Canaveral National Seashores. I was unable to get a lock on a single satelite and essentially, had no GPS service for the 4-hours that I was there. That same day, I used it down the beach about 30 miles, it worked just fine. icon_confused.gif

"When you find it, its always in the last place you look."

There is a US Navy Destroyer anchored near the Bay Bridge for protection. Maybe they have something that disrupts the signal.

It was Foggy the day I drove over the bridge about two weeks ago, so I couldn't see it anywhere.

If you get lost while geocaching, don't worry. Someone else will get lost while geocaching and find you. icon_wink.gif