How long do I wait to take my daughter geocaching?

Thack Pack

I used a Baby Bjorn with my youngsters ... it will hold a baby with head towards you when their heads are still not real strong (but still not until they can hold it well on thier own) ... then you can turn them around when they are a little bigger. My only concern with these when geocaching is the accidential fall. I personally wouldn't take a child geocaching that is still in one of these types of carriers. But when your kid is getting a little bigger ... maybe 6 or 8 months, a good backpack carrier will do you both good. I still use one of these with my 2 year old and we have hiked and geocached together with no problems. I have seen others take nasty spills in them but the big advantage is that being on your back you are more likely to go forward keeping the little one largely protected from your fall, whereas the infant carriers (like the Bjorn) are on your front side where you could possibly come down on them and do some serious harm.

And ... congratulations on the birth of your daughter! Parenthood is an incredible journey.

-=-=-=-=-=-

GPS_Brian

=-=-=-=-=-=

I have been taking my 5 month old and 2 year old with me. My wife loves the quiet time around the house when we're gone.

"Sometimes you gotta look like an *** to get that cache!"...huntforit

Only been at it for a few months and have only taken my 2 yr old daughter maybe twice on the trail. They were short stints, s oit was easier. I normally like to do several at a time and she doesn't walk very fast...lol Most of the places here in Northern Mass don't work well for strollers. There have been a few, that a stroller migt of worked, but for the most part they weren't. I would say you could take yours out when you feel comfortable with it. You could get one of those packs like others are talking about, but you will get to a point when they can walk and get heavy. I think your caching style and willingness will determine if and when you take them.

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

quote:
Originally posted by The BeeGees:

...has 19 finds. She has yet to sign a log book. Do these finds still count?

You should bring an inkpad, and have her handprint or footprint stamped in the book! Then you can track her growth via cache logbooks (heck, even use a digital camera to put the 'stamped' logbook page online!)

Heh..

On the front-carry versus back-carry, I find it amusing that nature evolved the front as being safest. In the future, will we evolve such that the womb will protrude to the rear???

{Grin}

Enjoy,

Randy

quote:
Originally posted by Thack Pack:

My daughter is now two weeks old. I want to take her geocaching (not as a trade item)

I would certainly hope not... :-) Although as a trade item, she would be the owner of all the McToys she could possibly want..

There's one by my house that's straight down a paved path, and I've heard of there being others that you don't have to leave the car for. Something like that would be fine.... Just amake sure you take precautions and it's not a hard cache... I would never take a baby anywhere that you have to balace yourself as well as her as you climb up something.

Check out my profile pic. That little bald spot is Lil' Lost One. He went on his first cache at 2 months old. (It was Feb and raining and we came back with a no find) The only reason we waited until he was 2 months is that we didn't discover geocaching until then. icon_biggrin.gif

A couple of bits of advice. The snuggly/baby bjorn work well but heed the advice about falling. Pushing a stroller down some trails is hard work and may get you some un-wanted attention. Best to stick to the easy caches when she is along for a while.

As an update Lil' Lost One (see my avatar) is now 21 months old and we we ask him if he wants to go caching he gets a big smile and starts squealing. Since we've taught him a few simple words in sign language we came up with one for geocaching that he also knows. He holds his hand in front of his body, palm up and moves it back and forth horizontally. (Yes it's the Maggie hula)

We log some of his finds and if anyone has a problem with him not signing the log book they have issues that a simple on line log can't fix.

40158_1200.gif I hope you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you've heard is not what I meant. --Richard Nixon

icon_geocachingwa.gif

I have to admit up front this is a *pet-peeve* issue with me. It is only my opinion, and is not meant as a slam or flame on ANYONE, especially not the party initiating the thread, BUT....

It irks the bejesus out of me to see people taking new borns out to places where they have absolutely no business taking them!!! This is not to say a short Geocaching hike is bad, but taking a new born baby on an all day trip to AstroWorld, or Disney World, etc, etc, out in the sun, and exposed to any number of ignorant people who want to touch and fondle a baby... is unforgiveable!

Whew! Now that is off my chest, hey, if it were me, I'd wait till the little waif was about 6 months old before *I* took them out hunting for something as insignificant as a cache. However, that being said, you might have one tough kid who can nearly carry you to the cache and back, so go for it.

And yes, I do have children, I am a single dad, and I do have SOME experience with which to speak...LOL.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

quote:
Breaktrack

Virtual Defender!

posted August 26, 2003 05:12 PM

I have to admit up front this is a *pet-peeve* issue with me. It is only my opinion, and is not meant as a slam or flame on ANYONE, especially not the party initiating the thread, BUT....

It irks the bejesus out of me to see people taking new borns out to places where they have absolutely no business taking them!!! This is not to say a short Geocaching hike is bad, but taking a new born baby on an all day trip to AstroWorld, or Disney World, etc, etc, out in the sun, and exposed to any number of ignorant people who want to touch and fondle a baby... is unforgiveable!

Is that a live tiger sitting with your children in the picture on your profile page?

My daughter is 2 years old, and my son is 11 months. I've taken the kids on some short hikes before geocaching, and anytime between naps is fine!

Just remember to take anything they need with you, and if they get tired/cranky be ready to just call it a day.

Anytime spent with their Papa will be well spent, and bring you closer as a family.

We are not Alone....

Don't have any kid myself, but I would reccommend getting one of those three wheeled jogger strollers if you take your kids off of paved trails. They strike me as being more able to handle(easier to push) in that type of situation.

If you have a place like "Play it Again Sports" or someplace that sells used sports equipment you can usually pick one up for a lower cost.

quote:

quote:
Breaktrack

It irks the bejesus out of me to see people taking new borns out to places where they have absolutely no business taking them!!!

Is that a live tiger sitting with your children in the picture on your profile page?

ROFL... okay, good one!

Well, my daughter started going with us around3 months of age. Given, she usually stayed in the car with the Mrs or rode in a snuggly on the easy ones, but this Sunday was our first REAL hike with her (6 1/2 months old) and a real tryout of the new backpack carrier.

We got a Trailblazer Frame Carrier by Evenflo from Babies R Us. They currently have two on the site, the one above an another at $99. They are the SAME carrier, but one is last year's model and the netting is black instead of grey. Print the page out and they'll honor the online price for last year's model if they have it. Worked for me, and my back did pretty well for a 2-mile HILLY hike. She slept as she wanted, and looked around the rest of the time. Certainly gets my endorsement.

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

quote:
Originally posted by Breaktrack:

Sheesh, if we were that fragile we never would've evolved past homo Erectus.

My oldest of 3 (now 14 and "too cool" to geocache with her dad), went on her first weekend camping trip when she was 2 weeks old. Granted, I "rough it" in a motorhome, but not in campgrounds, and alot of time spent hiking, sitting around the campfire, etc. Jetskiing on the Colorado River in the summer and off-roading in the California desert during the winter months. All 3 of my kids grew up with camping as simply a normal part of their lives, starting at a very young age.

Just use common sense to keep them safe. But over-sheltering them from any given threat, in my opinion, does more harm than good. At some point in their lives, they will not have you protecting them. Children learn by living.

Many easy caches would be more than reasonable for you to take an infant, although take pictures, because they certainly won't remember it!

We don't stop playing because we grow old...we grow old because we stop playing!

quote:

Yup, it is, and not a new-born in site.... LOL.

It was a neat story as well, fund raiser for tiger preservation, they allowed you to sit with a tiger cub and get your picture taken for I think $10.00. The cub was so engrossed in the baby bottle you could have laid on it and taken a nap as long as the bottle lasted...lol.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

I once saw a redneck in Alabama with a full grown tiger in the back of his van. He had the back doors open and had it on a leash. He was letting people bring their kids up to pet it. I stayed as far away as I could because a skinny redneck ain't gonna hold a 600 LB tiger in place when it decides one of those kids looks like it might taste good.

Even around trained animal handlers, and even a with a cub it involves risk.

If you know how to do it, you can take a samll baby to Disneyland, though I wouldn't advise it.

I would do it myself if I felt the need, but I know Disneyland better than most people, and know ways to beat heat & cold inside the park...

Like where the birds sing words and the flowers croon (but the kids need earplugs in there)

Now there is a pet peeve... people who expose children to loud noises. Most adults don't realize how much hearing loss they truly have. What seems reasonably comgortable to most adults is very loud to a young child (though I suspect they are often in the process of making themselves deaf).

"I'm not Responsible... just ask my wife, She'll confirm it"

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

quote:
...She has yet to sign a log book. Do these finds still count?

Unless there is a requirment for the logbook to be signed it's optional (but a courtesy).

Here we go again...

From the FAQ:

What are the rules in Geocaching?

Geocaching is a relatively new phenomenon. Therefore, the rules are very simple:

1. Take something from the cache

2. Leave something in the cache

3. Write about it in the logbook

texasgeocaching_sm.gif Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness bandbass.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

...1. Take something from the cache

2. Leave something in the cache

3. Write about it in the logbook...

I think you are splitting hairs here. The rules are guidlines. Still lets explore your take on this. Would that be the online logbook or the paper log? It's not too clear on that small point. now if you really want to spit hairs perhas there should be a literacy requirment before you hunt caches. This would rule out all kids and adults who can't read.

I stand by my original answer. The newborn can log the find (online) even if they didn't sign or stamp the (paper) log book, and even if their parents do the typing for them. That adds some interest to the game and doesn't take any away. That was the point of the original post.

[This message was edited by Renegade Knight on August 28, 2003 at 11:03 AM.]

It says "the RULES are very simple.

I read that as rules, not guidelines. Guidelines apply to placing a cache.

It also says logBOOK, not online log. I think it is pretty straightforward.

How is a newborn going to be interested in the game? A newborn has no comprehension of what they are doing. They are being carried from place to place with no say in the matter. As long as they are warm, dry, and fed then they are happy. I see nothing wrong with bringing them along on cache hunts (or regular hikes for that matter). Do they really need their own account to keep track of finds? I'd say no, until they are old enough to understand what it is they are doing.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness bandbass.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Thack Pack:

My daughter is now two weeks old. I want to take her geocaching (not as a trade item) but am afraid see is still to young. So my question for the more experienced family cachers out there is how old should she be before we go out for our first cache?

Till you feel strong enough to hold her and a gps? As someone else said they are simply cargo at that age. As long as they are warm, full, and dry she will find it an amazing exp, but then so is being carried on the laft sholder instead of the right. My youngest is 9 months my oldest 12 years the oldest camped at 2 months and her b day is dec 23. yes it was feb yes there was snow and we were in a tent. The priority with children at all times is keeping them safe warm and dry. This added extra work for me and it was within a snowball toss of the car but it worked. That said I agree with breaktrack a bit stay away from crouds. But to geo a 1/1 np. I have more porblem with you leaving her with someone else for that hour. But make sure your stong enough I'm not equiped but I've watched it 3 times now and @ 2 weeks I would be still on the couch ;o)

Pat Patterson

Garmin 12XL

82CJ7 & 79F250

Herd of Turtles 4x4 club

quote:
Originally posted by Pat Patterson:

yes it was feb yes there was snow and we were in a tent.

It snows in Canada? The news always shows clear skies above Canada. Mexico, too. I thought we only got bad weather in the US, as the radar pictures always cut off mysteriously along the borders. icon_biggrin.gif

Well I just checked and I took our son on his first cache when he was a month old. I think it took me that long because I had to recover from the delivery 8lb 7oz. he's now 4 months old and has done 66 caches including one event cache were he was named the youngest cacher in history. Take the title from him and have your daughter the youngest. He is usually in a snuggly but on caches that are no more than 150m from the car we take him in the car seat so I can put him down and look for the cache, can't have hubby find then all. We also have a 2.5 year old with us, she doesn’t look for the caches yet but stands on the trail and yells " have you found the treasure yet" that’s ok most of the time except she did it when the cache was hidden in the library. She loves trading though.

Giggles, Goofy, Grumpy & Graceful.....Not