Bring back my cache

Rabid Bunny

A cacher who removed one of my caches, due to being spotted by a resident in the area, never returned my cache or told me where I could find it after the fact, despite several e-mails discussing what I wanted done with it. The cacher is in the military and I assume on duty since I haven't had a reply in almost three months now.

So how long do I wait until I archive the cache page and kiss my small, but still pain in the butt, investment goodbye?

Oh yeah, they also have one of my travel bugs.

imurevenge.gif

Feral Cacher

Hmmmmm.... they have plenty of time to visit the site (last visit today). Plenty of time to update their profile page to tell the current whereabouts of each team member. Plenty of time to log locationless and virtual caches this month. But no time to return your e-mails. It's one thing to be called away to duty suddenly... circumstances beyond your control. It's another thing to have access to a computer, yet refuse to be courteous to another geocacher. I would say more, but I don't want a platoon of Marines showing up at my door.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

If there's no accounting for stupidity, then why do I need to file a tax return?

quote:
Originally posted by Rabid Bunny:

Guess you guys do your research. icon_wink.gif They go by the name of Devil Dogs now, anyway, guess I'll just keep my eyes out for them.

http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/tiere/imurevenge.gif

Feral Cacher

I love their log on "Z" welcome signs. Basically says "I know of this Z town back where I grew up. If I ever make it back there, I'll post a picture." No coords, no photos, just a found log. So, what was actually found here? icon_wink.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

Not sure how much of an issue I want to make it. I was pretty steamed at first, but now it just seems to be a pain. I guess it's not too much different than a non-cacher swipping your cache. I think Rubbertoe has had something around 5 caches go missing. Hopefully Devil Dogs will drop it somewhere when the get back and hopefully drop my travel bug somewhere too.

imurevenge.gif

Feral Cacher

Interestingly enough, the second forum posting ever made by DevilDogs formerly known as the Rice Brothers just appeared, one day after this thread.

If you're inclined to do so, post over to that thread or send another e-mail since we know they're at the computer today.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

If there's no accounting for stupidity, then why do I need to file a tax return?

I think there's a "note" sort of hinting at it in that thread. icon_biggrin.gif

By the way, RK - yes the military is extremely big on law abiding soldiers. I served in the JAG office and I saw people brigged for using their military I.D. to write a check that bounced. Stealing would absolutely be prosecuted. However, if this came across our desk... I think we'd advise the person to prosecute civilly if they wish to contend there was real theft. I know that our office would have done precious little to prosecute someone when we know the defense would be along the lines of retrieving (finding) non-secured property. While I've seen lots of government cheese wasted on things I couldn't believe - this is one where the government would not waste time nor resources. A person would have to acknowledge they have someone else's property which they want returned, and there'd have to be proof of said acknowledgement - internet "screen names" are hard to pin to a person unless you get some pretty serious charges going. The key thing is, you'd have to have an actual legal name to prosecute. This being a team, there is not likely to be individual "ownership." This rap could be beat, and it's not serious enough to warrant any sort of "lawsuit." A person need simply say "Well, we put it back." There. Done. No further procedure - case dismissed. No, the military wouldn't touch this. icon_wink.gif

Our best bet is to "encourage" this team to at least place the cache somewhere and email the coords. Clearly they must feel uncomfortable, and if the owner really wants the cache back, they should just tell 'em to tuck it out of the way someplace close, and give the owner the coords. Then, everybody can walk away with no harm done, and no further embarassment. icon_smile.gif

If you hide it, they will come.

Grandmaster Cache

Well if you can't get your cache back, I have an extra lying around. I'm in almost the opposite situation as you.

A few months ago, I retrieved a cache container that had been confiscated by park officials. I spoke with a park "guy" and he said that it was alright to return it to its hiding spot.

The thing is... I don't know where it was hidden. I corresponded with the owners a couple of times in order to get the cache back in the hiding spot, but they've since disappeared. I haven't heard anything from the owners in months.

So now I have a container sitting in a spare bedroom, with no owner. You can have it. icon_smile.gif

Jamie

Thanks for the advice GrandMaster. I did actually talk with one of the Devil Dogs, Bennett I believe, and he discussed dropping it off and letting me know either where or the coords. But I never got a message from him. Perhaps just too busy between military duty and holidays.

So I still hope that once they return they'll get in touch with me. If not I'll make a trip to TN and get Jamie's extra cache. icon_biggrin.gif

imurevenge.gif

Feral Cacher

Natureboy be patient. They are reputable cachers and if they're hanging on to it for a little bit I bet you it's with a plan in mind. I just realized they picked this one up in one of my caches... go figure. Sounds to me like they have plans from their log..and they haven't logged onto the site since 1/15 so my guess is they're away.