Looking for: All things Dog

Howdy,

I'm looking for info on dog-specific caches (such as Not Rin-Tin-Tin in Florida ZIP 32118) and people who cache with their furry pals.

Are there problems or benefits of hunting with dogs? Great dog caching stories? I'm researching for a magazine article.

Please let me know if it's ok to contact you for further information and possible interview.

Post here or contact me privately.

Kind regards,

Sundance

Going to the Dogs is a cache outside a dog park. As a result, people have left dog related items in it.

I cache with my dog on rural hikes where she can generally be off leash. With urban caches, or busy rural trails, I tend to leave her home because dealing with her on the leash while trying to find a cache and write in the log book can be a pain. Also, she tends to want to chase every bicycle that she sees.

pokeanim3.gif

85% of the time I take my dog. She is extremely well trained and can be off leash almost anywhere. Plus, she has learned the smell of tupperware and has sniffed out more than a few caches for me. We're working on ammo cans. Here's a link to cache called Dog Walker Dream.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Because now I am Lost.

I have listed my dog, J.C. the puppymonster, on caches that we have hidden together. Those would be caches that would definately be dog friendly. My caches, and look in the "by" line for "the puppymonster". I like caches in dog parks too, and one place that I did several caches like that was Minneapolis. It is fun to pet the dogs as you go caching.

Don't forget to post a picture of your dog in this topic!

mtn-man... admin brick mason 19490_2600.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Terrapin:

Since caching with our furry loved ones is so popular, wouldn't it be great to indicate "dog-friendly" cache areas or those that don't allow dogs.

I would think a note on Dog Unfriendly areas would be better. I hate when I get to an area with my caching buddy only to find out she is not allowed. I've had to abandon more than one search because of this.

Team Sand Dollar

I have a dog themed cache in San Jose, CA called Doggie Cache and is located near a dog park.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=26691

A couple of other dog themed caches I know about in the area are:

Catchin' Katie's Cache

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=7492

Sam's Stash

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=6230

I cache with my dog about a quarter of the time. Since I'm a woman and cache alone frequently, I feel safer having a dog with me while I'm off in the woods searching for a cache. My dog also makes a great decoy when hunting for urban caches (though she may be pulling in the opposite direction than where I want to search).

There's been a couple of times when my dog has walked right up to a cache. The funniest time was when we were searching in the snow with coordinates that were 100' off. After a while of searching, we decided to head back to the car and look around for the cache on our way. Shortly after that, my dog walks right up to the cache and looks at me to say "there's the cache, let's go home now!"

I sometimes take a dog with me, and that can be very useful. It can be good cover when searching - I make out I'm looking for his ball.

Emerging from bushes after rehiding a cache when there are people around, I just bring out a stick for the dog with me, which 'explains' why I was in there.

And on occasion the dog has warned me of people approaching when I've had the cache open and the contents spread out.

Bill

-------------------------------

"Ah, take the Cache and let the Credit go..."

The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam, trans. Edward Fitzgerald

I think it is wonderful to take your dog caching. We do every chance we get. She gets excited now when she sees us grabbing our geocaching paraphernalia. GPS=Walk

Just don't forget a pooper-scooper bag. icon_wink.gif

Like I have said before, our goal is to make her a cache narc! Right now the squirrels are still more interesting.

Plus it makes you a little less "troublesome" looking when you are out with your pooch.

CacheCreatures are spreading... They can hide, but they can't run!

2 of my 3 caches even give credit to our geo-mutt, Lucy the dog.

round top stop

by Captain Chaoss & Lucy the dog

The Whistle-Stop Cache

by Captain Chaoss, Dizzy D, E-Moose, & Lucy the dog

She recognizes the GPS and becomes unbearable till we leave for caching. What a nightmare if we cant take her with us! She probably has almost as many cache visits as we do.

As a sidenote, I post to my caches the pet friendly qualities of the area they're hidden in.

Two roads diverged in the woods and I,

I took the one less traveled,

and that is how I found the cache.