How best to log this?

dakboy

I haven't done this yet, this is more of a preparation question.

A coworker of mine is also into caching, and has tracked down a couple already. If we were to go out caching for a day and log a few, would it be better to create a new "userID" on geocaching.com for our joint efforts, or each of us log the finds on our own?

On one hand, I don't want to bloat the cache hit counts on the site by both of us logging, but OTOH I think we should be able to group these finds with our personal ones easily.

I say...Post your own! When I cache with my buddy or my sister or whoever, we each log our own finds! I've seen people that are married even, log each of themselves, father and daughter also. No sense in creating another user ID...if everybody did that, it might gobble up any space Jeremy might have left on his computers over there! hehe

Shybabe924

quote:
Originally posted by travisl:

Definitely log it separately. And don't consult with each other first. It's always fascinating how two different people describe the same event so differently.

Travis

I agree. I also think it would be neat to have the ability to group folks. I'll think on that for a while.

Jeremy

I agree with travisl, just log your finds separately. Creating a new account isn't worth saving the minimal database space. Plus, we wouldn't get to read such classic log entries as:

quote:

Ah, I've finally bagged the elusive first post for a brand new cache! Bill and I found the cache at 3:15 pm PST but I saw the cache just before Bill did.

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Irish:

... I also think it would be neat to have the ability to group folks. I'll think on that for a while.

Jeremy

Yes! There are times when it would be great for two (or more) individual cacher's to have the option of posting one log that counted as a find for each. Seperate logs are fine too, but it would be nice to have this as an option.

Regards,

Tedoca

I got together with a friend of mine to have a combined effort in planning some caches. Caches we hide as a team effort are done by the username we created for that pupose. We set up a hotmail account for that username and we both have the pasword for it.

When we find caches, we log them seperately. The result is a team that hides caches with zero finds. That weirds some folks out when thye are deciding if they should seek a really challenging cache hidden by a user with no finds.....but we have success with this way of doing things.

So I say log what you find as yourself...but if you are looking to create a "team" cache, go with the new username and explore your alterego. icon_cool.gif

I got together with a friend of mine to have a combined effort in planning some caches. Caches we hide as a team effort are done by the username we created for that pupose. We set up a hotmail account for that username and we both have the pasword for it.

When we find caches, we log them seperately. The result is a team that hides caches with zero finds. That weirds some folks out when thye are deciding if they should seek a really challenging cache hidden by a user with no finds.....but we have success with this way of doing things.

So I say log what you find as yourself...but if you are looking to create a "team" cache, go with the new username and explore your alterego. icon_cool.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Irish:I agree. I also think it would be neat to have the ability to group folks. I'll think on that for a while.

Jeremy, let me know if you want some insight on this issue. T-Storm and I always hunt together and log separately. We only feel comfortable doing this because we take turns hunting once we get close. (NOTE TO ORIGINAL POSTER: this may be a way to get around any ethical issues you may have. If you take turns hunting, you can log the finds individually with a clear conscience.)

This works for us, but I have no issues with those that log as a group, or any other way that works for them.

By the way, our biggest issue as a group is that T-Storm and I have no way to PLACE as a group. This is a bit of a problem since I see her caches in my unfound list, and she sees mine. We placed them together, but since only one of us can be listed as owner of record, we chose to share the responsibilities for them.

Scott / Brokenwing

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching