What GPS unit are you currently using?

I have been very happy with my GPS 12. I don't know whether this is a specimen problem, but my usual caching partner sprung for a GPS V. While it is very handy for finding routes in urban areas, it is quite insensitive compared to my 12. He will often lose lock completely because of tree cover while mine is still going strong.

I bought my wife a basic eTrex and has since really regreted it. It takes her forever to enter a few waypoints into the miserable thing, the displayed track route is an eighth of an inch wide, and there is no way to delete waypoints by symbol, so what's the use of having a zillion symbols?

$70 Yellow eTrex from eBay... Networked to a Palm device w/card for mapping.

Looked into upgrading but realized it would be a waste, WAAS not receivable here and caches not placed w/it anyway. Electric compass needs calibration and way too expensive compared to physical (that was out of a cache actually).

Enjoy,

Randy

Started out with a etrex yellow. Spousal unit shared until I got a Legend. She got to use a friends Sport Trak Map and loved it so I bought her one of those. Then a friend at work decided he didn't like his GPS V, so I took it off his hands! The V is a serious upgrade to the legend and I can never go back. I have the mount in the car for the 120 round trip commute each day and then I pop it out to cache.

Software:

NGS Topo! Oregon

MapSource Topo

Garmin CitySelect

Street Atlas 2003

supermoe

What ever one ends up in my hand when it comes out of the backpack. There are so many in the bag now,,what am I going to do. Soooo lost, where to go next. Age creeps up soooo slow. I do much prefer the Meridian ones( Gold or Plat). How ever I like the Vista,, but again the Pro is real nice..some times just to be different the Legend is guiding the way.

quote:
Originally posted by Riverwind:

Just wondering what everyone out there is using right now...Also, why are you using the current GPS?

Thanks for the info!

Magellan SporTrak Pro....good all-around GPSr. I also have a Magellan 315 that I'm still deciding whether or not to keep.

P

carpe cerevisi

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

Garmin emap. Am I the only one? Also my stugents were given ole'yellers for the geocaching class I taught this summer and they had no problems. The emap is more than adequate for me, though. Can someone tell me why it is you want color?

Ride bent.

quote:
Originally posted by sept1c_tank:

I'm using an antique--Garmin 12. It works quite well. I have thought about upgrading, but "the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say don't do it!"

Same here Sept1c_tank, using a GPS 12. It's only failed me once, and more likely than not, I was the one at fault.... and .... I have thought about upgrading too....the other 9 voices in my head say "do it", but the one voice that often goes caching with me (my wife) vetos those 9 voices....

The place where your treasure is, is the place you will most want to be, and end up being -- The Message icon_wink.gif

Well, I am currently using a Mag 315 I bought it when I first got into geocaching, it is what I could afford. Now that I have stuck with it for going on two years its time to upgrade. I am wanting a platinum and when I start getting a regular paycheck again( I just changed jobs) then hopefully I can upgrade.

Rusty

RW Da Man!!!

CHS#1

I started with a Magellan Companion for visor. Upgraded to Magellan sport trak pro. Love the 32mg of memory. Also found a web site that did some testing on the antenna's of GPSr's. They said that the pro had the best antenna of all.

http://gpsinformation.net/mgoldreview/sportrak-pro-rev.html

Also the Map send software that magellan sells is awesome.

No matter where you go, there you are!

icon_cool.gifI just got a MAP76s about three weeks

ago. So far I really like it. Had the Basic yellow etrex, which was very user friendly but

wanted a MAP, lots of memory, WAAS. a better antenna, and a good cache finder as well. (The compass on the 76s does this very well.)

Happy caching

Currently: A crappy old 1996 Megellan 2000.

I'm about to upgrade to a Megellan Meridian Color. (Kinda like from a Model T to a brand new Ferrari Enzo!) My company is buying it for me for my 15 year service award. WoooHooo!!! Money left over for a bunch of extras.

Hey, What should I get to go with it?

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gif Sacred cows make the best hamburger....Mark Twain.

quote:
Originally posted by Snoogans:

Hey, that's what I used for my first 12 finds. Darn thing wouldn;t get any more accurate than a .10 mile! Really helped me to cut my teeth on that unit. Now I've got a SporTrak Pro and the difference is phenomenal! I'm just worried that I'll rely too much on the unit now.

Now if we could just find a way to load our avatars onto the GPSr.....

quote:
Originally posted by Kealia:

quote:
Originally posted by Snoogans:

Hey, that's what I used for my first 12 finds. Darn thing wouldn;t get any more accurate than a .10 mile! Really helped me to cut my teeth on that unit. Now I've got a SporTrak Pro and the difference is phenomenal! I'm just worried that I'll rely too much on the unit now.

Now if we could just find a way to load our avatars onto the GPSr.....

I have well over a hundred with it. (still not caught up. Near 150. I think?) I think it's on its last legs though.

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gif Sacred cows make the best hamburger....Mark Twain.

quote:
Just the bare essentials: two decimal points and no pictures. A Magellan 300

wow, my first handheld gps was a magellan 300 and i had a delorme earthmate to use w/ my laptop for mapping and car navigation. i recently sold the earthmate on ebay, and soon i'll be listing the magellan. the 300 was horrible... standing in a wide open field on a clear day it could take 20 minutes or more to initially find its position. now i have a garmin geko 201. its great cause i can use it w/ mapping software on my laptop or palm if i need maps. not to mention its small and works great on its own

quote:
Originally posted by sledgehampster:

Proudly using Magellan Map 330 running Firmware 4.0 and Basemap 1.10. MapSend TOPO 4.2c detail map.

Ok, I'm not very sophisticated with this, but I am using a Map 330. It appears I have the firmware it ships with (1.05) and the newest version is 2.08 according to Magellan's download site What is this version 4? Am I missing something?

Thanks

Just completed my 200th find today and as a reward treated myself to an eTrex Legend. I used my trusty Venture for the first 200 find. I guess at number 400 I'll have to treat myself again. icon_wink.gif

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44