Mapping software or website?

Squealy, the GeoDog and I are planning a daytrip later this week. We usually pick a bunch of caches in a given area and then look at how far each one is from the initial cache given (ie. a zipcode). This isn't working too well for helping us plot our day in the most efficient way.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any websites or free/shareware programs that allow you to put in SEVERAL coords to get a map (my GPS is kind of small for doing that, eh?) so that we can get a better picture of what we're going to do.

Any suggestions?

Try out ExpertGPS.

http://www.expertgps.com

The aerials themselves are from 1995 (downloaded automatically via terraserver) but should give a good idea. It is a great companion to geocaching.com as you can download all they waypoints, load them directly into ExpertGPS and then display/print out a map at a number of resolutions. I recommend it highly.

They also have a free non-mapping version called EasyGPS.

I'm happy to recommend QuakeMap. I've used it for more than 3 months and it is great! I download .loc or .gpx files from www.geocaching.com, them import the files into QuakeMap. I search for caches that are located near each other, and then go find them [icon_smile.gif]

QuakeMap has done a great job integrating geocaching features. Here are two of my favorite features:

1. Easily switch between aerial photo view and topographic map view.

2. Right click on the map, then select "Nearest Geocaches in browser". A new window pops up with the nearest caches displayed. Then it's real easy to download those caches to a .loc file, and display them on the map!

I'm not a salesman or employee of QuakeMap, so I don't get anything in return for recommending this product. I just know it greatly enhances my geocaching experience!

Check out QuakeMap

I can vouch for ExpertGPS. They have a free months trial and you can only use one state in that trial. It's pretty neat. I like seeing how far the cache is away from the parking area. Helps me determine who goes along with me on the trip.

I also am using pocket maps for my pocket pc. I download the pocket queries to my GPS and my pocket pc. Then on the GPXview program on the pocket pc, I can export that GPX file to pocket maps. Pocketmaps only has major cities like Boston, Worcester and etc, but when you make thaexport file the caches show up on the pocketmap program. You can click on them and it will tell you which one it is. You can also tell exactly how to get there as well.

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump