chigger insanity...any ideas

I made a mistake. I went caching in loose pants with no elastic on the bottom.The outcome of that is: I am covered, especially all around my ankles and behind the knees with chigger bites that are driving me insane!

I am using the hydrocortisone cream and benadryl. Not working...

Any ideas?

quote:
Originally posted by carleenp:

Here is a http://www.conservation.state.mo.us/nathis/arthopo/chiggers/.

It not only covers a lot of the myths about chiggers, but addresses how to prevent bites and what can be done to treat them (not a whole lot unfortunately, just try not to scratch because that makes it worse). It also explains why chigger bites itch so much.

http://outbreakcorp.hypermart.net/animation/pokemon/pokeanim3.gif

That's a good source of info and it mentions nail polish which works almost instantly.

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gifThe greatest labor saving invention of today is tomorrow....

Yep, they're thick around here. I got my third batch of chiggers this weekend while caching. I've yet to find a tick on me this year, but those chiggers are overwhelming!

Good article, carleenp. Not very encouraging, though: "The only ultimate cure is time, since there is nothing you can do to dislodge the chigger's feeding tube, the true cause of your itch. You must simply wait until your body breaks down and absorbs the foreign object." Yeesh!

Luckily, no chiggers in SoCal. But, after I got my legs all burned up by the stinging nettles a few weeks ago, as it started to heal it got ever so itchy. I took to just scratching the bejeezus out of my legs. I can't tell you how great that felt. I was sort of hypnotized into this scratching ecstasy. I don't know how else to explain it. I'm sure it looked pretty weird to someone not experiencing what I did, but man, it was great. The best part about it was the after about 10 minutes of straight scratching, the itch went away. It didn't make it worse like what happens with a mosquito bite. I halfway want to walk through that field again just to experience it one more time. OK, I've revealed a little too much. I'll stop.

stealyourcache.gif Ever notice how anyone that caches more than you do is a maniac, while anyone that caches less than you do is an idiot? -Dru Morgan

quote:
Good article, carleenp. Not very encouraging, though: "The only ultimate cure is time, since there is nothing you can do to dislodge the chigger's feeding tube, the true cause of your itch. You must simply wait until your body breaks down and absorbs the foreign object." Yeesh!

Yes, unfortunately it's true. What I found interesting was that the chiggers are not actually feeding on blood but are using an enzyme to liquidate tissue and then they feed on that. Yuck!

quote:
I halfway want to walk through that field again just to experience it one more time. OK, I've revealed a little too much. I'll stop.

I'm just not sure what to say about this Dru! icon_smile.gif

pokeanim3.gif

quote:
Originally posted by BullDogBob:

I live about an hour east of Dallas and I'm looking for a place to find repellent containing Deet, any suggestions.

We got some 100% Deet at Wal-Mart this weekend. They make a generic brand called Repel. It's found in the camping section and a small bottle (fits nicely in our backpack) was less than $3.00. They also make some "family" spray that contains about 25% deet.

yummykaz,

I aparently picked up some chiggers while out caching one day about a month ago. I had a nice ring of about 50 bites on each of my legs where my boots ended. I went to the pharmacist for help. She recommended chigarid. I took it home and tried it. It's a gel that hardens. It didn't really help sooth the itching, so now I found myself with an uncontrolable urge to pick at the hardened gel on my legs. The only thing that really seemed to help was to get in the shower and turn the water on as hot as I could stand it and let it rain down on my legs.

"Following animal paths may make the bushwacking a little easier, but probably won't pay off in the long run, since deer tend not to geocache much." - Geocacher Peeve on the Vaught Ranch Bushwackin Fun (B.D. #2) cache

An old arkie remedy for chigger bites. Douse em down with bleach 2 or 3 times and they'll dry up within 24 hours. Burns a little when you put it on but itching stops pretty soon. I work/live in the country and chiggers are very common and this is pretty much the local remedy. Chigarid is fine if you get one or two in a "private area" but for multiple bites you cannot beat Clorox.

When GPSr's are outlawed, only Outlaws will have GPSr's.