Poll: Your preferred Cache container???

GOT GPS?

quote:
Use the search.

A search is appropriate for someone who needs an answer to a question. This poll is obiously not an attempt by Geoffrey to personally become aquainted with everyone's individual container preference. He's providing an opportunity for people to participate that haven't read the forums the week of the thread of the same topic (and there are many on this topic). This question will be asked again and again whether in the form of a poll or not. If you participated before, feel free to ignore it and come up with something fresh and new. Those that just began participating will enjoy the poll. To them, it'll be fresh.

Who cares about being PC? As long as they are labeled and well hidden it shouldn't be a problem. All of mine are out in the woods anyway.

Current total:

3 ammo cans

1 tupperware (hiding place too small for ammo can)

1 35mm film can

1 locationless virtual icon_razz.gif

rdw

Who cares about being PC? As long as they are labeled and well hidden it shouldn't be a problem. All of mine are out in the woods anyway.

Current total:

3 ammo cans

1 tupperware (hiding place too small for ammo can)

1 35mm film can

1 locationless virtual icon_razz.gif

rdw

My personal preference is an ammo box - they'll stand up to the weather, you can fit quite a bit in them, and they blend in easily in the woods.

Rubbermaid containers get my second choice; there's a new type (new to me anyway) with a screw top lid that closes tightly, so the rain is kept out. One problem is the size of the opening on this type of container - a CD I wanted to put in a cache was a little larger than the diameter of the opening.

All but one of my caches are ammo boxes. I’m currently experimenting with some Rusto-leum (SP?) spray paint that’s supposed to apply a stone-like color and texture. With the paint and a geocaching label I don’t think anyone will get confused.

Yeah, it seems like caching containers is a favorite topic. We had a walking stick discussion that went on for six months, and then there was the water container discussion.... Maybe Jeremy could have a separate forum area for geocaching related equipment though I suppose that might stray into “off topic” discussions about hiking and backpacking equipment.

creekbed%20logo%20original.gif

CreekBed Geocache

[This message was edited by Rob H. on March 19, 2002 at 09:28 AM.]

If the extreme heat during the summer doesn't bubble the tupperware then the brush fires will certainly melt the tupperware.

Can't find any ammo cans here in Italy and I don't want to ship any in. They might be illegal. There are a lot more restrictions on guns and ammo here than there is in the US.

The first cache I found used a Danish Butter Cookies tin container. I just hid my first traditional cache and used a Danish Butter Cookies tin. They seen to survive the Sicilian summers very well and can survive the heavy rains (stay water tight) during the winter.

- Lone Rangers

One of my main Geocaching goals is to never use an ammo can... I know they work great, but for me, part of the excitement of the hunt is to see what the person used as the cache container. Ammo cans are boring to me, but very effective. I've always tried to use out of the ordainary containers that have some sort of a good seal. There are many other unique containers found at surplus stores that work great.

-fractal

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

N 45° 30.ish

W 122° 58.ish

Originally posted by Rob H.:

Maybe Jeremy could have a separate forum area for geocaching related equipment though I suppose that might stray into “off topic” discussions about hiking and backpacking equipment.

"off topic"? Can that happen HERE? NAWWWWW!

inceptor

the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys

i prefer the ammo can. its critter proof, rain proof and storm proof.

they can add a few bucks to the cost of the cache but thats no biggie if you know you stand a chance of getting it back later down the road.

tupperware/gladware is ok but i have found one too many of those with the lid halfway loose and a moldy log book inside. the plastic works good in places where its not directly heated by the sun or battered by the rain. i found a nice tupperware cache hidden in some stones. it was totally protected.

my favorite oddball cache is an altoids tin with a magnet attached to it. they can be hidden under things like metal steps (hint hint). the altoids tin doesnt work well outdoors though. they eventually rust (at least here in south florida). the other bummer to the altoids tin is that the morning dew will sometimes collect in it. they are good for short lived urban caches holding a wheresgeorge or something of the sort.

URBO

the first cache i placed was in a tupperware-ish type container i bought at a dollar store, and it was pilfered as soon as i placed it (it was later replaced after the individual who took it read the notice). i decided to switch to ammo cans for the sole reason that they're hard to spot unless you know what you're looking for. another bonus is they're mostly water proof if they're aren't any busted welds in the seams and if the rubber seal is in good shape. the only problem with ammo cans is that i live in minnesota, in the twin cities, as far from an active army post and the plethora of military surplus stores near active army posts as one can get--searching for ammo cans in this area can almost be as daunting as searching for multiple micro-caches. also, being a member of the national guard, i have to be careful with the ammo cans i do happen to buy so my fellow soldiers don't think i stole them from the unit. 15T

quote:
Originally posted by urbo:

they can add a few bucks to the cost of the cache but thats no biggie if you know you stand a chance of getting it back later down the road

URBO

Getting it back?.. man what would I do with all those ammo cans? Already they are taking over the house with more than half of them out there somewhere, you mean someday I might have them back and have to figure out somewhere to put them? I'll just have to cache them somewhere I guess ;-)

Out in the middle of nowhere, I'll use ammo cans. In city parks where they are more likely to be stumbled upon by non-cachers, I prefer clear Rubbermaid. I have bought containers specifically because they were shaped correctly to fit the hiding place I had in mind (a cylindrical plastic canister that fit perfectly into a certain hollow log). Then there's the size factor. Some of my locations are in public places where there isn't a really good hidey-hole big enough for even a small ammo can.

25021_1200.gif

There is a small cafeteria where I work.

The ladies there save the one gallon mustard and mayo containers for me. They have the wide screw on lids. They also gave me a bunch of 1 gal. containers with snap on lids that salad dressing comes in. A never ending supply of containers. Best thing is they are FREE! icon_biggrin.gif

41317_400.gif

[This message was edited by GeoSharks on March 21, 2002 at 08:09 PM.]

There is a small cafeteria where I work.

The ladies there save the one gallon mustard and mayo containers for me. They have the wide screw on lids. They also gave me a bunch of 1 gal. containers with snap on lids that salad dressing comes in. A never ending supply of containers. Best thing is they are FREE! icon_biggrin.gif

41317_400.gif

[This message was edited by GeoSharks on March 21, 2002 at 08:09 PM.]

I have only hidden three so far. Two are in 2-gallon buckets and one is in a tupperwear container. I have some more on the drawing board. One will be in a custom-painted ammo can. For the others I'm going to take a page from the Fractal school of geocaching and look for unique containers. I've got two kind in mind but if I told you they wouldn't be unique anymore!

8009_400.jpg