I saw somethin' weird, Does anyone know anything about bugs?

M15a4spr

Arrived at the park to get this cache...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=19738

Parked my black car and hopped out and spread my map out on the trunk to re-check the trails. As I was looking at the map, and started hearin clickin noises. I look up, and Tons of lil eraser size beetles are landing on my car, squirming like mad and DYING from how hot the car was! What in the wide wide world of sports would make 'em do that? I felt a bit like I was in a cheap 10 Commandments remake icon_razz.gif. When they were lucky enough to roll off the car or down the windshield and get right side up on the windshield wipers, they survived and flew off. Explanations?

I'm no entomologist (or any other ologist for that matter), but I'd guess that they were attracted to the heat your car was putting off, or maybe the air freshener in your car (if you use one) or some other scent they caught. Or maybe you just parked in the path of a whole bunch of bugs. icon_biggrin.gif

--

Pehmva!

Random quote:

sigimage.php

quote:
Originally posted by Kealia:

I'm not sure, but the cache name sure sound fitting.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm somewhat local to that area and my wife would scream like a banshee if that happened.

Hhmmm..what are we doing tomorrow? icon_wink.gif

I did that cache "The LONNNNNG way" aprox 9 mile hike from gate (850alt) to peak past "Pedal up some more" (2250alt per topo map). Weather in mid 90's. What am I doing tomorrow? Resting! shock.gif

Oh, and it's a nice area so don't let this weirdness keep you away, check my stats I've been up here before and never seen anything like that. Hikes are tuff, but fun.

quote:
Originally posted by mckee:

Sometimes that happens when you install the bug deflector backwards.

That's the funniest thing I've read all day.

Caching without music is like swimming without water.

quote:
Originally posted by M15a4spr:

quote:
Originally posted by Kealia:

I'm not sure, but the cache name sure sound fitting.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm somewhat local to that area and my wife would scream like a banshee if that happened.

Hhmmm..what are we doing tomorrow? icon_wink.gif

I did that cache "The LONNNNNG way" aprox 9 mile hike from gate (850alt) to peak past "Pedal up some more" (2250alt per topo map). Weather in mid 90's. What am I doing tomorrow? Resting! shock.gif

Oh, and it's a nice area so don't let this weirdness keep you away, check my stats I've been up here before and never seen anything like that. Hikes are tuff, but fun.

This is just a reminder that not all caches are created equal. It also points out the FIND COUNTS are meaningless.

The longest hike I 've had to do to log a a cache (round trip) has been 1.4 miles.

I'd be perfectly willing to hike further but there just aren't that many caches locally which require a walk of more than .5 miles.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."

Slightly OT. Next time you're out caching in an area where there are a lot of dragonflies, pick up a very small pebble, and toss it parallel to the ground, near one of the dragonflies. It will spring into action and chase it! Just don't keep messing with the same fly for too long, it needs to save some of that energy for catching bugs. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
well if "lovebugs" (don't know what other people call them) are attracted by car exhaust and paint then maybe these bugs were attracted by the same thing. You sure they just weren't june bugs?

pnew? Are those lovebugs over where you are now??? They are finally subsiding here, but not before leaving all of our vehicles front ends completely black with bug guts from all the unlucky smooshed critters! icon_frown.gif These things are worse than fire ants! icon_eek.gif

By the way...did you know if you're going to be driving through an area with love bugs, you can spray PAM (yes the non-stick stuff for skillets) over the front exposed surfaces of the car and the smashed bugs will be easy to clean up. Now who said geocaching wasn't educational. As Martha Stewart said, as she was making a decopage sewing basket with a fake bottom for hiding stock certificates..."Learn Something New Every Day"

Bill-W5WAF