Why did you purchase your first GPSr?

Dekaner

Had to have one for work. The state now requires archaeological site locations to be GPSed, as well as project area boundaries.

Everyone else at work already has one, but I'm starting some independant projects. Also, competitive-ness entered into it... "I don't care how much it costs, it has to be better than _______es."

Happy hiking,

Bob

Mine was definitely purchased for geocaching, although I had used GPS equipment previously for work.

I don't even remember when I first heard about geocaching, but I knew it would be something I would like. I did some research on GPS models, but they were a bit out of my price range. As I recall, the popular choices at the time were the Garmin 12 or the Magellan 315. I was leaning towards the Garmin.

It was at least a year later before I finally bought a GPS so that I could try geocaching. Well, 16 months and 225 caches later, I have no regrets! I'm just kicking myself for not getting into this sooner!

-Junglehair

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

When I bought a Magellan 4000XL back in 1998, it was just a toy to see how a THING can track my location on the planet. I used it for hiking, but found it a pain because I could not download waypoints or tracklogs to the computer.

My big thing with GPS units now is the Tracklogging, and find that my GPS V is a better Tracklogger than my Platinum.

I drew a tag for a Mountain Goat in a remote area of west central BC. I was going solo into an area I'd never been before so I was grasping at any added bit of security I could find. I figured a GPS would help me find the trails and basins a friend had x'd on a map and also in the very possible event of heavy fog, help me get out.

quote:
Originally posted by Dekaner:

To Try Geocaching

Try not! Do, or do not. There is no try.

I got mine to geocache after my brother hipped me to it earlier this year. Just found my 100th a week ago and I'm looking forward to passing 200 soon (not that anybody is counting).

----------------------------------------------------------------

"A noble spirit embiggins the smallest man." - Jebediah Springfield

----------------------------------------------------------------

I voted for 'Routing'. To be more precise, it would be 'back-tracking'. I bought my first one (a Garmin45) because it had a removeable antenna which I planned to mount above the wing on an ultralight aircraft. My intention was to have a way to find my way back to whatever little field I took off from after buzzing around for a while. Sadly, never did get that ultralight finished (money and eyesight issues stopped it). Tried that Garmin45 in the woods for caching, found it was useless under tree cover, and moved up to a Garmin76, then a Rino120.