Placement on public land?

Guest Pat in Louisiana

Guest Pat in Louisiana

Do you discourage placement in an area that has a daily fee such as a State Commerative area, Park or refuge?

------------------

Pat in Louisiana

"I just want to live happily ever after every now and then"

Jimmy Buffet

Guest BigDoggie

To the contrary, public land is often the very best choice.

Unfortunately, the bureaucrats who we pay to manage our public land for us often have other ideas. There are MANY threads in these pages about jack-booted rangers stealing the caches, arresting the cache placers and cache hunters, and in general hassling the sport.

While other rangers are either enthusiastic supporters or benignly turn their heads.

There are two basic ways of dealing with these employees:

(1) Contact the ranger for permission in advance of placing the cache, or

(2) The geocaching equivalent of the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy. Don't put anything in your cache that can be traced back to you, hide it well, and say nothing.

Guest dwr50

First make sure you can legally do it. Then make sure you say it is in a "paid entry" site, when you post the location.Also keep in mind that if it is in a paid entry site you will have to pay , every time you go in to check on your cache. I think placing caches in paid entry sites is a bad idea... but that's just my opinion.

Guest wildman

quote:

(2) The geocaching equivalent of the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy. Don't put anything in your cache that can be traced back to you, hide it well, and say nothing.

Yes, this is a great idea! There is no way a land manager could look on the website and find out the user name of who placed that cache, and then contact Jeremy and get the real identity. Whoops, did I give away a secret?

[This message has been edited by wildman (edited 09 August 2001).]

Guest jbwcpa

I would think that if the parks can make money off of geocaching they would be all for it. You should always ask for permission to plant a cache and you should note what the entry fee is when you post the location. Many parks sell annual passes for very reasonable fees.

BigDoggie - Not everyone in government is a jerk, crooked, put your term here________. Those type of people just tend to seek out positions of authority, so there may be a higher ratio of anal retentive people in government. Give the ones just doing there job a break.

Guest CaptHawke

quote:
Originally posted by wildman:

Yes, this is a great idea! There is no way a land manager could look on the website and find out the user name of who placed that cache, and then contact Jeremy and get the real identity. Whoops, did I give away a secret?

I strongly doubt Jeremy would be so free with information unless the the cache contained harmful or illegal material and posed a real threat to the public, the environment and the sport itself.

Cephas Hawke

Bedford NH

Guest brokenwing

quote:
Originally posted by CaptHawke:

I strongly doubt Jeremy would be so free with information unless the the cache contained harmful or illegal material and posed a real threat to the public, the environment and the sport itself.

Don't be so sure. With a court order, Jeremy could be forced, by law to turn over any information he has on the "offender". This happens all the time on other web sites, for example.

If you are really concerned about this, you better ensure you can't be traced. Maybe the best alternative is just to seek permission first.

brokenwing

Guest jeremy

I have a privacy policy that restricts me from giving out personal information. Of course I do not have something like doctor patient privelege but I definitely wouldn't give out folk's information willy nilly.

Usually I blind copy folks and ask to have them contact the person who is trying to reach them.

Jeremy

Guest Pat in Louisiana

I didn't want to start any arguments! I just had a State Commemorative area near me that is a Civil war battlefield and they have lots of hiking trails. They do frown on relic hunting.

------------------

Pat in Louisiana

"I just want to live happily ever after every now and then"

Jimmy Buffet

Guest Ttepee

m in one of the permission procarasintors group so I know how you feel. But if it encourages you any one of the four that I've hidden was in a state park and was found by rangers... they signed the log book and rehid it..very cool icon_smile.gif I think for all of us once we get past the first permission it will be alot easier... just go for it.

Guest Ttepee

m in one of the permission procarasintors group so I know how you feel. But if it encourages you any one of the four that I've hidden was in a state park and was found by rangers... they signed the log book and rehid it..very cool icon_smile.gif I think for all of us once we get past the first permission it will be alot easier... just go for it.