Anyone here play Go?

Anton

Cribbage, Clay-to Win, Showdown Yahtzee, 10,000, Screw Your Neighbor, 3-13, HighLo Scram, Cranium, and just the other night, Parcheezi to name a few.

Cache you later,

Planet

spacecraft.gif

"It doesn't matter whether you're going somewhere or nowhere, whether you're doing something or nothing. If you're doing it in a boat it's the best time ever!" -Water Rat from "The Wind in the Willows" by Kenneth Grahame (a book I picked up in a cache)

quote:
Originally posted by Anton:

Anyone here play Go?

Anton - N2RUD

Syracuse, NY

I never play while I'm going, and I always try to go before I play. My wife suggested that we go to a play, but I'd rather dicker than argue. But if I play that game, her friends all say, "You go girl!". Go figure.

Gotta go!

I learned to play it when I bought an "Odyssey" game console produced by Magnavox way back in the early Atari days. I think it had a whopping 2 Kilobyte memory.

Anyway, years later I learned to play a similar board game, Pente. Same capture strategy, and you have to line up 5 game pieces.

Not sure what this has to do with geocaching, though. icon_confused.gif

Worldtraveler

quote:
Originally posted by worldtraveler:

Anyway, years later I learned to play a similar board game, Pente. Same capture strategy, and you have to line up 5 game pieces.

Not quite the same capture strategy--Pente is much less two-dimensional than Go--but definitely geared for quicker games. I've been known to play a game or two of Go, and even own a pretty decent Go board, but Pente is more the speed of my favorite opponent, so we mostly stick to it.

warm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Cheesehead Dave:

I'd love to learn Go, but I'd have no one to play it with as my wife isn't too much into strategy games.

Plus, with a one-year-old in the house, I don't think all the pieces would stay put for long...

You can play Go live online with opponents of various skill levels at Yahoo Games, and there aren't any pieces to lose. If you're not the sort to have enough time in one sitting for an entire game of Go (as is likely with a one-year-old in the house) or if Pente is more your speed, Check out ItsYourTurn.com instead, where you can play at a slower pace and spread a game out over days or even weeks.

warm.gif

Play the game of Go on these Internet Go servers!

Computer Go & Go Server Resources

http://www.usgo.org/resources/internet.asp

IGS - International Go Server

http://panda-igs.joyjoy.net/English/

"Welcome to IGS Panda Net, the Internet Go Server, the world's leading forum for playing, watching, studying, and enjoying the game of Go on the internet. At any time, day or night, you can find hundreds of other players from all over the world and of all playing levels, from beginners to professionals. Whatever your ability, you can find opponents of similar skill to play with, and IGS provides access to the interface software to create a realistic Go board on your computer screen. IGS broadcasts live the championship matches for top professional events, including the Meijin, Honinbo, Kisei, Judan and Tengen titles and the Ricoh Cup professional pairs tournament - and daily you can watch professionals playing informal quick games with each other and with top amateurs."

Kiseido Go Server

http://kgs.kiseido.com/

"Go is a traditional strategy game in China, Japan, and Korea. If you want to learn more about this fascinating game, we recommend you select the Learn to Play Go link above. It will take you to a tutorial which will teach you the basics of the game. If you already know how to play go and want to play on KGS, then select the Play Go Now! link."

NNGS - No Name Go Server

http://nngs.cosmic.org/

"Come and play Go on the Net - one of the oldest games in the world and still the most mysterious!

NNGS is an on-line Go club where people from all over the world can meet and play Go. We are open 365 days per year, 24 hours per day. There are no charges for membership or online time."

Anton - N2RUD

Syracuse, NY

quote:
Originally posted by upinyachit:

quote:
No, but I play poker.

GPS poker? LOL icon_biggrin.gif

Duane

Upinyachit

icon_smile.gif

Our feet go where the caches are! http://home.rochester.rr.com/thehughesfamily7/images/feet.gif

You could have something there! Anyone ever been on a big Harley motorcycle type Poker run? You stop at designated places along the way and pick up a card, so you end up with a poker hand at the end. I'm not so sure of the rules but a geocaching poker run event might be really fun! Anyone want to put something like this together? We could have a bunch of them for different regions. World wide GPSr poker runs. What fun. When I went on one it was before Christmas and everyone brought a stuffed animal and the end of the poker run was at the Hanahoe Memorial Children's Home and the pile of stuffed animals that we had made was so heartwarming. Many little children got a nice gift for Christmas. The cops helped direct traffic and there was a line of motorcycles over a mile long. Imagine that pile of toys! so what do you think, fun idea?

Cache you later,

Planet

spacecraft.gif

"It doesn't matter whether you're going somewhere or nowhere, whether you're doing something or nothing. If you're doing it in a boat it's the best time ever!" -Water Rat from "The Wind in the Willows" by Kenneth Grahame (a book I picked up in a cache)