Testament to the use of Ammo Cans

Amazing! Good retrieve!

I use the ammo containers as often as I can, but in "urban" areas and parks, I stick to Clear tupperware (in case it gets accidently found, don't want no "Bomb Squad" blowing up my cache!!)

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)

HOLY HIPWADERS BATMAN!!!!

That's amazing Buck8point!!! Come to think of it I better check on one of mine that's on the bank of a creek.....With all the rain we've had up here I hope it's still there

-----------------------------------------------------------

sig.jpg

"Whad'ya mean you didn't save the location of the truck?..EEEK!!!..."

They're essential in the high desert. It is very typical here for caches to be located under one or more rocks. I've used the "official cache" sticker on mine. It holds up, but isn't as durable as I'd like:

photo of one of my caches (taken 6-16-2002), placed 2-22-2002, approx. 25 visits

My roommate and I are talking about making stencils of the geocaching logo, then spraypainting onto the ammo cans. We're going to run some test caches out here and see what holds up best. I'll post results to the forums when I have them.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

My roommate and I are talking about making stencils of the geocaching logo, then spraypainting onto the ammo cans. We're going to run some test caches out here and see what holds up best. I'll post results to the forums when I have them.

Thats exactly what I did. I Printed out what I wanted on some thick card stock paper, then used a xacto knife to cut the stencil out, and after I camo paint my cans, I use 2 colors of hi vis paint for the stencils (Dayglo Orange and Chartreuce) It seems to hold up reasonably well, even after being under a flooded swamp for 3 months.

Here is what it looked like when I put it out.

10241_400.jpg

And after the flood.

399522_500.jpg

399522_700.jpg

Notice the overall reddish brown stain over the entire paint job. Thats from the heavy concentration of Tannic Acid in the dark swamp water.

Buck8Point

Buck8Point

-------------------------

If I can't Fix it, It's Definately Broke.

Another thing I've noticed is that finding an ammo can cache is just more fun. Hearing that metallic thump when I poke it with my stick and the clank when you pop the lid is just more satisfying than tupperware will ever be. I recently had a run of three tupperware caches and all three were damp. One to the point that everything in it was ruined. I'll still hunt tuppercaches but I'll not place any.

When GPSr's are outlawed, only Outlaws will have GPSr's.

Here we go again, tupperware/ammo can. Some people just can't get it through their heads that tupperware has been blown up just as much as ammo cans. doh!

quote:
Originally posted by majicman:

Amazing! Good retrieve!

I use the ammo containers as often as I can, but in "urban" areas and parks, I stick to Clear tupperware (in case it gets accidently found, don't want no "Bomb Squad" blowing up my cache!!)

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)

Caching up here in the Sierra Nevada Mountains I have been the first to find many caches that were buried beneath 6 or 7 feet of snow during the winter. When I opened the can the contents were as dry as the day they were placed. I recently placed a cache on a mountain peak at nearly 11,000 feet elevation. When I opened the can on top of the mountain you could hear it hiss because of the air pressure difference. Ammo cans are great for keeping an airtight seal and keeping out moisture.

I read in another thread that the US Armed forces have stopped selling ammo cans to surplus and are moving to plastic or something of the like. I would like to share with you the fact that a small ammo can is $10 CAN and a large is $15 CAN. and are widely available here in Toronto.

Next time any one is coming up for a visit drop into an Army surplus store and stock up!

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

quote:
Originally posted by clatmandu:

Here we go again, tupperware/ammo can. Some people just can't get it through their heads that tupperware has been blown up just as much as ammo cans. doh!

Clatmandu,

OK, I am still somewhat of a newbie and haven't read "all" of the old threads. I would MUCH prefer to use the excellent Ammo Cans (especially with thte official Geocaching" label) that I use in the public and well-trafficed parks in urban areas. However, I believed that a "clear" tupperware container that you can see the toys and trinkets easily inside (especially with the "Official Geocaching Game" sticker on the outside) would be a better choice (just in case one got found by non-geocachers.)

Granted, out in the midle of the deep woods and way off trail, the ammo can reigns supreme!

I suspect (although I do not KNOW) that someone finding a sealed metalic (can't see whats in it but it rattles a lot) container in a urban park would be more "suspicious" than a "clear, hey look, its got Mctoys in it" tupperwear container.

And therefore, the "non-geocacher" finder might be more willing to open the clear tupperwear container with toys and a book in it than to report it to the bomb squad.

If on the other hand, they can't see what's in it (ammo can) REGARDLESS of the official Geocaching Game sticker on the outside, I can just see the bomb squads being called regardless.

I post my Name and cellular phone number clearly on the outside of EVERY cache container as "Contact Person", just in case someone does find it and have questions. So far, no calls and no one (but geocachers) have found any of mine (I always hide them well, I believe.)

I imagine that an opaque tupperware container has the same problems as the ammo can, so I always make sure to get clear tupperware containers for my urban caches.

I have recently been using more decontamination kits (as urban and remote micro caches) because they are just too perfect. I expect the similar treatment of them as ammo cans if found in a very public area being as they are not see-thru and have a known military tie-in, although they are much smaller (less threatening looking?)

Could you point me to an old thread so that I can do some more reading up on this, or has history shown that CLEAR Tupperware and Ammo Cans are both EQUALLY correct / incorrect in very public and urban areas?

Thanks in advance. (Maybe this belongs in a new thread?)

--majicman

=================================================

Could you point me to an old thread so that I can do some more reading up on this, or has history shown that CLEAR Tupperware and Ammo Cans are both EQUALLY correct / incorrect in very public and urban areas?

================================================

There are several fairly recent threads on this issue, if you go back a month or so. I don't have the specific URLs. What you'll find is that to-date, there have been 3 caches blown up by bomb squads. One was in an ammo can planted near a railroad tunnel, along side the tracks. Another was a tupperware container (opaque I assume) that was clearly marked as a Geocache. I believe that was placed in an urban setting. I think the 3 was an ammo can, but don't know the specifics.

You seem to have a good grasp as to where an ammo box would be appropriate. I'm a big fan of them for the reasons stated in this thread (plus they are cheaper than a good Rubbermaid or Tupperware

contianer). I only place caches in ammo boxes in

remote areas where they are unlikely to be found by non Geocachers. In smaller parks, I like the decon boxes (though they aren't totally waterproof). They small enough to be easily hidden in places where they won't be stumbled upon by non Geocachers.

WallyMart (in Canada) is carrying these clear containers with really good looking seals. They have 4 locking clips, one on each side. The largest container is just about the volume of a small ammo can and costs a couple of bucks less ($8). I haven't tried one yet but I'd bet they make great containers for caching.

They also carry a small container for sandwhiches that would make a great minicache and a smaller one still for a micro. It drives my wife crazy because when we go to a grocery store or dollar store I spend my time looking at containers. In the grocery store I even look for pickles and other things that I can eat for the container!

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

quote:

a xacto knife to cut the stencil out, and after I camo paint my cans, I use 2 colors of hi vis paint for the stencils (Dayglo Orange and Chartreuce)

Ummm...you paint the cans camo to hide them, but then paint the lettering on in dayglo...I am not sure if I get the point of the camo? icon_smile.gif

I generally camo my boxes, then paint on the lettering in slightly different color such as Hunter Green over Black/Brown/Olive Drab, so that it is readable if found, but still hides well.

In the GPS model of the universe, the shortest distance between two points is a straight line...through creeks, thorn bushes, horse piles, whatever....

quote:

a xacto knife to cut the stencil out, and after I camo paint my cans, I use 2 colors of hi vis paint for the stencils (Dayglo Orange and Chartreuce)

Ummm...you paint the cans camo to hide them, but then paint the lettering on in dayglo...I am not sure if I get the point of the camo? icon_smile.gif

I generally camo my boxes, then paint on the lettering in slightly different color such as Hunter Green over Black/Brown/Olive Drab, so that it is readable if found, but still hides well.

In the GPS model of the universe, the shortest distance between two points is a straight line...through creeks, thorn bushes, horse piles, whatever....

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

You seem to have a good grasp as to where an ammo box would be appropriate. I'm a big fan of them for the reasons stated in this thread (plus they are cheaper than a good Rubbermaid or Tupperware

contianer). I only place caches in ammo boxes in

remote areas where they are unlikely to be found by non Geocachers. In smaller parks, I like the decon boxes (though they aren't totally waterproof). They small enough to be easily hidden in places where they won't be stumbled upon by non Geocachers.

BrianSnat,

Thanks, I understand your point and will find those older posts with some searches.

P.S. Are you REALLY the inventor of geocaching?

--majicman

quote:
Originally posted by Hinge Thunder:

After finding your caches at the Rochester get together, I'd say that you 'camo your boxes' is an understatement!!

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

quote:

I use the Day glow colors for the stencil so that they show up extremely well on the camo, BUT I only stencil one side, so that when I hide the cans, I can put the stenciled side up against something like a stump, or some other naturally occuring object which isnt out of place in the area Im placing the cache in.

I actually hide my cans well enough that the actual cammo paint is nothing but window dressing anyways..

It just makes them all that much harder to find...

And it looks cool ....

icon_biggrin.gif

Buck8Point

Buck8Point

quote:

I use the Day glow colors for the stencil so that they show up extremely well on the camo, BUT I only stencil one side, so that when I hide the cans, I can put the stenciled side up against something like a stump, or some other naturally occuring object which isnt out of place in the area Im placing the cache in.

I actually hide my cans well enough that the actual cammo paint is nothing but window dressing anyways..

It just makes them all that much harder to find...

And it looks cool ....

icon_biggrin.gif

Buck8Point

Buck8Point

quote:
Originally posted by Dekaner:

After finding your caches at the Rochester get together, I'd say that you 'camo your boxes' is an understatement!!

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

Thanks for the complement! hehehe icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Dekaner:

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

Thanks for the complement! hehehe icon_wink.gif

or more to the point, the downside of ordering them online. I now seem to be on a militia-type mailing list. I can just imagine what the mail lady thinks! icon_wink.gif

Gotta admit, I never new that some of these things existed and they're just a credit card click away...

I can get a suit to dress up like the Swamp Thing, a book on planning and installing booby traps (for historical reference only, of course), even chain mail armor! Not sure what I'd do with any of these things but it's good to know they're out there...

I've only placed one cache but I put it in an ammo can (ordered online obviously). I agree that they are the best choice in most cases. Besides, the kids think they're cool! icon_cool.gif

GeoMedic - team leader of GeoStars

or more to the point, the downside of ordering them online. I now seem to be on a militia-type mailing list. I can just imagine what the mail lady thinks! icon_wink.gif

Gotta admit, I never new that some of these things existed and they're just a credit card click away...

I can get a suit to dress up like the Swamp Thing, a book on planning and installing booby traps (for historical reference only, of course), even chain mail armor! Not sure what I'd do with any of these things but it's good to know they're out there...

I've only placed one cache but I put it in an ammo can (ordered online obviously). I agree that they are the best choice in most cases. Besides, the kids think they're cool! icon_cool.gif

------------------------------------------------

or more to the point, the downside of ordering them online. I now seem to be on a militia-type mailing list. I can just imagine what the mail lady thinks!

------------------------------------------------

Same here. After ordering my ammo boxes I've been getting all kinds of survivalist/militia type catalogs. I do admit some of the stuff is pretty neat.

quote:
Originally posted by GeoStars:

Actually these things have come in handy. The booby traps books were very helpfull for placing my Warlord's Treasure Cache. The couple deadfall traps, and the pitfall trap in the cache area alone merit the 5/5 rating. But the fun didn't end there. I got a really cool mail order catalog from a small Israeli company that really gave me what I needed to put the cache over the top. *JUST KIDDING*

Confession time. I thought I could save a buck on cache containers by buying those nifty plastic containers. They're small, easy to hide, and durable. Yeah, right!

I have used four plastic fantastic containers for caches. To make a long story short -- two of them have utterly failed. That's 50% failure rate if you are the kind to keep track. I was careful to buy good stuff, not cheap. It didn't matter. The critters got them! Now I've got to spring for a real cache box (30 cal.) at the Surplus store and trek to the sites and try to fix everything. I don't mind cache maintainance, but this is not what I had in mind!

Also, there are other plastic caches around here that have -- failed. I put the remains of one in a 30 cal. this last weekend. It was either that or archive it.

Anyway, plastic may be OK in some instances, but ammo cans are best if you want everything to stay intact.

Keep on Caching, icon_cool.gif

Bluespreacher

"We've got the hardware and the software, the plans and the maps ..." -- Citizen Wayne Kramer

Confession time. I thought I could save a buck on cache containers by buying those nifty plastic containers. They're small, easy to hide, and durable. Yeah, right!

I have used four plastic fantastic containers for caches. To make a long story short -- two of them have utterly failed. That's 50% failure rate if you are the kind to keep track. I was careful to buy good stuff, not cheap. It didn't matter. The critters got them! Now I've got to spring for a real cache box (30 cal.) at the Surplus store and trek to the sites and try to fix everything. I don't mind cache maintainance, but this is not what I had in mind!

Also, there are other plastic caches around here that have -- failed. I put the remains of one in a 30 cal. this last weekend. It was either that or archive it.

Anyway, plastic may be OK in some instances, but ammo cans are best if you want everything to stay intact.

Keep on Caching, icon_cool.gif

Bluespreacher

"We've got the hardware and the software, the plans and the maps ..." -- Citizen Wayne Kramer