Palm III upgrade ...

hmarq

First the geocaching tying ... one of my fellow cachers showed me how cool pocket queries of pages in mobiformat on their pda was and I wanted to try.

... so I blow the dust off my old Palm III, find all the junk that goes with it get it talking to my computer ... great!

D/L mobireader and install it ... bang, yuck, sputter, Fatal Exception ... ugh. The mobi forums and lists have numerous reports of this with no resolution or even direction. double ugh.

So I decide to upgrade the palm from it's current 3.0 OS to 3.52 ... but I can't find any way to do that, the palm pages show upgrades from 3.2 and 3.5 but nothing from the anchient 3.0 ... I did see the 4.1 purchase option and maybe I'll end up going that way, but figured I'd post here and see if anyone is using old hardware and new how to upgrade the OS on an old III unit.

TIA,

Hank

Another option is to scrap MobiPocket and never let it darken your door again. It's not the OS, it's the crappy software.

Poke around the forums a bit and see what other people are doing for PDA access. Lots of people seem to like GPX Spinner and Plucker; personally I swear by GPXDoc, but I might be biased.

pirate.cgi.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy:

Another option is to scrap MobiPocket and never let it darken your door again. It's not the OS, it's the crappy software.

Poke around the forums a bit and see what other people are doing for PDA access. Lots of people seem to like GPX Spinner and Plucker; personally I swear by http://parkrrrr.com, but I might be biased.

http://parkrrrr.com/pirate.cgi.gif

Thanks! Between you and Stunod, you've now proved that I shouldn't have bothered with Palm or Mobi tech support and should have just come here first icon_smile.gif .... would have saved me some time.

Now I've got something to play with tonight!

If you try out gpx2html, make sure you read the info about the reflocations.txt file. This allows you to enter multiple "home" locations, and get an index for each one sorting the caches by distance. I use my home and work locations and I'm good to go from either place!

homer.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."

quote:
Originally posted by Stunod:

If you try out gpx2html, make sure you read the info about the reflocations.txt file. This allows you to enter multiple "home" locations, and get an index for each one sorting the caches by distance. I use my home and work locations and I'm good to go from either place!

http://208.55.63.109/images/homer.gif

__"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."__

All the advanced options look pretty handy, the ignore file, the multiple references, corrected coords ... plus I know perl so I can hack on it if needed and it's linux friendly which simplifies my world tremendously.

quote:
Originally posted by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy:

Poke around the forums a bit and see what other people are doing for PDA access. Lots of people seem to like GPX Spinner and Plucker; personally I swear by GPXDOC, but I might be biased.

Spinner or gpx2html used with plucker is pretty, but I'm with Fuzzy on GPXDOC on an older pda like your Palm III. From the time I get a GPX file, until the time it's residing on my pda is only maybe 2 minutes, tops. And the file size is a LOT smaller with GPXDOC. The CSpotRun reader takes up 36K, and I have something like 1000-1200 cache pages, with the last 5 logs, in a 1 meg file. Considering a Palm III is limited to 2 megs total, file size is important.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Some of the members of our local cachin' club were asking me about using my Palm while geocaching. Rather than explain it all to them at the meeting so they could forget it, I spent the weekend putting THIS WEBPAGE together. It explains how I use GPX Spinner and Plucker, as well as provides some links to other programs.

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44