Someone wondered why you would need a walking stick.....

Hiking sticks are a must have. There are many benefits to taking a hiking stick with you when walking in the woods.They are great for knocking down cobwebs, poking and prodding in the brush, making sure there are no snakes under a fallen tree, helping you keep your balance on those steep inclines, putting chipmunks and playing pinata with the beehives. I have one that I have been using now for several months and I can't believe I ever went to the woods without it.

icon_eek.gif

46113_400.jpg

The KGB

guy.gif

[This message was edited by The KGB on March 27, 2002 at 11:56 AM.]

[This message was edited by The KGB on March 27, 2002 at 11:56 AM.]

[This message was edited by The KGB on March 27, 2002 at 11:57 AM.]

[This message was edited by The KGB on March 27, 2002 at 11:57 AM.]

[This message was edited by The KGB on March 27, 2002 at 11:59 AM.]

Seriously folks, it seems the new cool cache idea around here is to put them out in the area swamps. A walking stick is basically a requirement for these. They come in great for helping to keep balance in the marshes, you can test how deep the water is, move reeds out of the way without changing your footing...just so many uses. I wont go to the swamp without one.

quote:
Originally posted by macro:

Seriously folks, it seems the new cool cache idea around here is to put them out in the area swamps. A walking stick is basically a requirement for these. They come in great for helping to keep balance in the marshes, you can test how deep the water is, move reeds out of the way without changing your footing...just so many uses. I wont go to the swamp without one.

Not to mention as a balancing device when crossing raging rapids stone-by-stone or on unstable fallen trees. One would need to park the Segway. icon_wink.gif

OK I don't use a Pogostick. But I do have a Leki trekking stick. Great for poking around when looking for the cache (who needs to get bit by another Lyme infested tick or maybe a snake next time). It has a concealed mounting screw on top for cameras so you can use it as a monopod. I also attached a RAM adapter on the stick to mount my Vista while caching. I sinply switch the Vista to the RAM suction cup on my windshield when I'm driving. That's pretty convenient. Also, when I lose lock I plant the stick into the ground to re-steady it. We'll see how great that is with the upcoming Spring foliage.

Alan