What do you think about upgrading?

MacBWizard

I agree with Criminal. Although I don't know anything about Garmin, I was borrowing a Magellan 330 and when I decided to by my own I decided to reach for the top rather than making another stop midway. I got the Meridian Platinum with 64MB of SD memory.

Just save a little more money, use "old yeller" a little longer, then pull a unit off of the top shelf and be the envy of all your pals!

quote:
Originally posted by MacBWizard201:

I am thinking about upgrading from a yellow eTrex to a eTrex Legend. I am sick of waiting 1 minute for the distance to waypoint to update and of the arrow pointing everywhere. I also am interested in the WAAS capability. What do you think?

I use the yellow etrex and don't expierence the long wait for the distance to waypoint, I do however get the 'dizzy arrow'. I've heard the 'dizzy arrow' is a 'flaw' in all of the GPSr's in the etrex line.

Chip

[This message was edited by Seay me on September 12, 2002 at 07:38 PM.]

I went from the Yellow straight to the Vista. Couldn't be happier (except the Vista goes through the batteries alot quicker than the yellow). I was able to sell my Yellow for only $10 less than I paid and got a good deal on the Vista (289 (unit) + 80 (US Topo) - 50 (rebate) - 90 (sold my yellow)). So 229 to upgrade seemed pretty good to me. It is awsome having the maps!

We want to upgrade that thick like clear rubber stuff that covers the screen over our GPS. We are 100% satisfied with it but that stuff is peeling around the edges. We don't want the screen to get scratched up. It is a Magellan Map 330 bought over a year and a half ago and we have no problems with it at all! Have the Mapsend Streets and computer cable hook-up. It gets us close, good under cover, but what about that screen covering? That is considered an upgrade isn't it?

quote:
Originally posted by moghedian:

We want to upgrade that thick like clear rubber stuff that covers the screen over our GPS.

To you mean that clear piece that comes on everything with a display?? That plastic piece is designed to protect during shipping and be removed for use. I know several people that leave it on for the same reason you do though. As far as replacing it...My suggestion would be to peel the remaining plastic stuff off of the display and carefully place some packing tape over the display.

Chip

there you go! Clear packing tape over the screen. zoinks. but will that leave a residue once the tape is all scratched and you want to replace the tape, peeling it off the screen? Wanted to get that

Quote:

lkjflsjf, yadda, yadda, yadda

but couldn't figure it out, but this will do. We just don't want the screen to get all gooeyed up! It's bad enough replacing batteries!

quote:

We want to upgrade that thick like clear rubber stuff that covers the screen over our GPS. We are 100% satisfied with it but that stuff is peeling around the edges. We don't want the screen to get scratched up. It is a Magellan Map 330 bought over a year and a half ago and we have no problems with it at all! Have the Mapsend Streets and computer cable hook-up. It gets us close, good under cover, but what about that screen covering? That is considered an upgrade isn't it?

Any office supply store should have screen protectors for PDA's. That's what I use. Not nearly as much adhesive to remove when replacing it.

Always wear proper caching safety equipment!

60748_1200.jpg

I use a Legend and am very happy with it. Don't put WAAS high up on your requirements list, however, especially if you will only be using your GPSr for Geocaching. I've tried using WAAS a couple of times, and did not get any improvement from it. I think that it's really only useful if you are someplace with no real cover, such as out on the water.

- - - - -

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

quote:
Originally posted by Seay me:

To you mean that clear piece that comes on everything with a display?? That plastic piece is designed to protect during shipping and be removed for use. I know several people that leave it on for the same reason you do though. As far as replacing it...My suggestion would be to peel the remaining plastic stuff off of the display and carefully place some packing tape over the display.

Chip

Palm and other PDA supply manufacturers have a clear plastic screen overlay available.. check at your office supply store.

Oops! I should have read the thread all the way through before I replied. I had no intention of stealing your thunder Lyra.. You posted it first. Maybe the double post means it is a good idea.

[This message was edited by Trudy & The Beast on September 13, 2002 at 06:52 AM.]

If you upgrade from the yellow, I think it's a question about what your priorities are.

There is hardly any other GPS that's as easy as an eTrex to carry around. But the larger antenna of a GPS V or 76 (just to mention Garmin units) gives better reception in the woods.

The magnetic compass in some units, like the Vista, is great when near a cache, according to my opinion. Regarding the current consumption, I set it to turn off already at 4 km/h, which means that it's off even when walking normally.

But if you want the added benefit of autorouting, the GPS V is the obvious choice within a reasonable price range.

Anders

Upgrading to a model with maps is good. Garmin and that "M" company make a number of good units that have maps. My III+ has maps but I found them limiting in that the maps are only overlaid on the display. In other words, they're there but the unit does not interface with them. The Garmin V actually uses the maps for navigation. I hunted a very frustrating cache in Hawaii where the III+ had the maps but they were really no help at all in getting to the parking area. If I had had the V back then it would have told me exactly what streets to drive on to find the parking area. After two hours of driving every side street in the area I was “asked” by the rest of the family to give up.

My humble advise: If you can keep using the one you have until you are able to save for high end unit you should. Geocaching is roughly 50% of the use my V gets. The more I learn how to use it the more essential it becomes for other activities.

If your house catches afire, and there aint no water around,

If your house catches afire, and there aint no water around,

Throw your jelly out the window; let the dog-gone shack burn down.

**Huddie Ledbetter**

I concur icon_smile.gif WAAS has done little if anything for me. I wouldn't upgrade. If you do, get something nice. The Legend is okay but its maps aren't worth the extra $$ IMHO. I have a Venture which is the model between yellow and Legend. I got it instead of hte yellow because it was only $10 more after buying the yellow with a data cable.

If you don't have a data cable... I'd say buy one for $15 and live with your yellow some more. I like the eTrex line for tromping around in the forest. Tree cover + mediocre rechargeable batteries give me a lot more dizzy arrows. Get a data cable and maybe try some better batteries before you trade up, if you do trade up.

I also only use my GPS for geocaching. If you want to use it for travel as well... a higher end GPS might be right up your alley.

quote:
Originally posted by Cheesehead Dave:

Don't put WAAS high up on your requirements list, however, especially if you will only be using your GPSr for Geocaching. I've tried using WAAS a couple of times, and did not get any improvement from it.

--------

trippy1976

migo_sig_logo.jpg

I concur icon_smile.gif WAAS has done little if anything for me. I wouldn't upgrade. If you do, get something nice. The Legend is okay but its maps aren't worth the extra $$ IMHO. I have a Venture which is the model between yellow and Legend. I got it instead of hte yellow because it was only $10 more after buying the yellow with a data cable.

If you don't have a data cable... I'd say buy one for $15 and live with your yellow some more. I like the eTrex line for tromping around in the forest. Tree cover + mediocre rechargeable batteries give me a lot more dizzy arrows. Get a data cable and maybe try some better batteries before you trade up, if you do trade up.

I also only use my GPS for geocaching. If you want to use it for travel as well... a higher end GPS might be right up your alley.

quote:
Originally posted by Cheesehead Dave:

Don't put WAAS high up on your requirements list, however, especially if you will only be using your GPSr for Geocaching. I've tried using WAAS a couple of times, and did not get any improvement from it.

--------

trippy1976

migo_sig_logo.jpg

...I've been happy with it so far. However, I've run into one problem: it only allows 500 wayspoints in memory. Call me a packrat, but I like to keep all the WPs in it (found or not) for the state. I keep my Palm up-to-date too. I mean, you never know where you might end up, eh?

Bear & Ting

I thought I was a little off, then I looked at my GPS and discovered I accurate to 12 ft.

Geocachers don't NEED to ask for directions!

If you upgrade to another E-trex model then you are not getting much more than you already have. Let me explain. The entire E-trex line uses the same antenna and receiver. Only the software, screen resolution, clik-stik etc.. are different. If you are experiencing update and pointer problems with your yellow E-trex then I think you'd have the same problems with another E-trex. Do you have the latest software version for your E-trex? Is it battery save mode? Check those things and see if they might be causing your problems. If you still want to upgrade I'd suggest a model with a better antenna. I actually prefer a yellow E-trex because it is very rugged, light, and cheap. Everything I need and nothing I don't. If I ever upgrade it will probably be to a Rino 120.

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night. Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."

I have a Legend and I'm mostly happy with it.

However, the antenna isn't as good as some. My brother and I were in a canyon covered with redwood trees. I could only get three birds while he had five locked easily with his GPS V. However, he didn't seem to have the compass display.

His GPS V blew through four AA batteries long before I was done with two. I enjoy the small pocket size of my legend.

I do wish that I had more memory though, the 8MB only holds one map at a time (though it's still a heck of a lot of data). I have the San Francisco Bay Area map installed most of the time, but if I travel more than 40 miles out of the area, I need to load another map at my computer. Without a laptop, I'm stuck that way. The maps are nice. I noticed that I'm never more than five miles from a McDonalds.

BTW, the legend is the perfect size to wedge between the windshield and dashboard on my Expedition as well as on my Mustang creating my own little heads-up display.

Id recommend a Meridian Gold or Platinum, they are the best geocaching units out there. The Meridian Platinum with 128 meg memory, is what i have. You can store thousands of waypoints on that card in multiple data files on the memory card. You can store a few map regions in the memory also, and select the one you need from the memory card. Check my profile, it shows that I have had several garmins, and magellans. The Meridian performs much better than my GPS V, while geocaching.

------------------------

5_Rubik.gifMy home page about GPS units and information

quote:
Originally posted by Trudy & The Beast:

Oops! I should have read the thread all the way through before I replied. I had no intention of stealing your thunder Lyra.. You posted it first. Maybe the double post means it is a good idea.

[This message was edited by Trudy & The Beast on September 13, 2002 at 06:52 AM.]

I'll just take that as your seconding my motion icon_smile.gif

60748_1200.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Trudy & The Beast:

I'll just take that as your seconding my motion icon_smile.gif

60748_1200.jpg

The first step in overcoming any addiction, according to most 12-step programs, is to admit that you have a problem. I have, sadly, come to the conclusion and faced the reality that I am now addicted. In admitting my addiction yesterday, I registered as a charter member, ordered a few T-shirts, Write-in-the-Rain Logbooks, and Cache Stickers, and upgraded from my eTrex Yellow to a Legend, all within about a three hour span.

I can't tell you how much better I feel already! I think my next big step in dealing with my problem is to attend an upcoming Cache Event, which I'm assuming is kind of like Alcoholics Anonymous, in which you meet others with similar addictions.

All kidding aside, I played around with the Legend yesterday, testing it out on a few of my caches, and I'm actually amazed at the improvement in accuracy and information available. I disagree that it's pretty much the same as a Yellow, though I still have a soft spot in my heart for it.

60748_1200.jpg

You know what. I have a e-trex Yellow and I love it. it's slowness to respond as someone else mentioned is only noticable in batt-saver mode.

as far as the crazy arrow. it has helped me more often then not. I follow the dancing arrow untill boom oh look the cache. this usally takes no longer then 20-30 minutes on a bad hunt.

Personally I don't want any more accuracy then is currently afforded me. I feel it will take the fun out of the hunt. matter of fact I have considered stop using the GPS one I am with in .1

Cache On!!

James

"Big Dog"

-Clan Ferguson

quote:
Originally posted by MacBWizard201:

I heard that the 2nd generation eTrex units have better satelite reception hardware. Is there any truth in this?

Also: Is there anyone out there that has a Legend and is dissapointed? If so why?

2nd Gen??? What is that?

As for disappointed, so far, I love mine, except (as notes in a prev post) for the 500 waypoint limit.

I thought I was a little off, then I looked at my GPS and discovered I accurate to 12 ft.

Geocachers don't NEED to ask for directions!

Got GPS?,

Thats the post I wanted to see, I am also thinking about upgrading from my GM100 with the whopping 2MB of memory to a unit that uses cards for storage. I haven't heard anything spectacular about the Platinum until you posted that. I hear how the maps suck and are out of date and how it takes a long time to lock up from a cold start, even warm, along with the compass not working for crap, no laynard, you get the idea. The Platinum meets all of my requirments with the exception of those things, maybe you can clearify some of that for me. I would appreciate it.

As for screen protectors check here: web page

migo_sig_logo.jpg