snicker

quote:
Originally posted by J&MBella:

Here's my contribution....

Lackey Bella

Kind of reminds me of William Wegman's weimeraner pictures...ROFL

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them. The rest go geocaching.

Well you asked for it....

23324_3600.jpg

Actually, this photo was taken several years before I ever heard of geocaching, but I noticed how close it was to Jeremy's "hand signal".

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

Did you have to make it soooo big.

I feel queasy now.

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes

On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:

"Something hidden. Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --

"Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling , The Explorer 1898

Like Chevrolet once wondered why the Chevy Nova didn't sell very well among spanish speaking folks. Do you know what Nova means in spanish? It means "No Go"

You folks have any idea what the deaf community would think if they saw the placement of the "L" hand along the lower part of the face.

A visual connection between two people and this sign given is ...ummmm... not nice within their culture.

this link shows the American Sign langauge shape.

http://commtechlab.msu.edu/sites/aslweb/L/W2046.htm

I am showing this to you as an edification and nothing more

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

quote:
amishangel wrote:

You folks have any idea what the deaf community would think if they saw the placement of the "L" hand along the lower part of the face.

I don't and because I'm not deaf, I don't need to. Nor do I need to apologize for it. If deaf people find it offensive then they need to realize that the majority of people who are enjoying themselves with this silliness are not in any way attempting to offend anyone. They're just goofing around. It's fun. Just relax. Not everyone can be expected to know every little nuance of every group or culture.

Is it really necessary for you to even bring this up here in an attempt to spoil their fun? Please don't say "But I want to educate them so that they'll be more sensitive to the feelings of others..." EVERYTHING offends someone.

By the way, do *you* have any idea of what the deaf community would think? Although I can't speak on behalf of any commmunity, my guess is that most of them would laugh because it is exactly what it is supposed to be -- funny.

Yes...i am deaf

and no...I am not offended by this

If the end result of my showing a different view using my langauge causes a discomfort. Then pffftttt.

Continue as you were, and learn

I consider the issue of my bringing this up closed.

amishangel

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

[This message was edited by amishangel on October 08, 2003 at 02:31 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by J&MBella:

Here's my contribution....

http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/log/072fb1a1-073c-4ce8-b15c-b902cee5bd20.jpg

Lackey Bella

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Because now I am Lost.

According to that Amish guy, your dog is a stoned lesbian. (OK. I added the the stoned part, but LOOK at 'em.)

EDIT: DOH! I didn't see J5's post.

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gif Sacred cows make the best hamburger....Mark Twain.

[This message was edited by Snoogans on October 08, 2003 at 07:00 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Jomarac5:

If deaf people find it offensive then they need to realize....blah blah blah

first let me say that I just didnt feel like posting the whole quote, so blahblahblah isnt meant to be derogatory...

second... part of the original statement was:

quote:

you seem to have taken this with the implied statement "they'd be offended, so watch out". I took it totally differently, namely "do you realize you could be conveying a message you didn't intend?" the fact they stated

quote:
I am showing this to you as an edification and nothing more

i think should've been an indicator of this. I actually appreciate the knowledge, not that i normally go around giving the L symbol in public anyway, but its good to know. I was actually quite surprised actually. Will I be paranoid that "OMG! they might think I'm calling them gay!" of course not, but it is something to keep in the back of your mind IMHO. If you wanna go do it, that's find, jsut don't be surprised if you get a queer look from some folks. (pun intended, whoops, my bad, not PC, oh well)

quote:
Originally posted by Snoogans:

According to that Amish guy, your dog is a stoned lesbian. (OK. I added the the stoned part, but LOOK at 'em.)

LMAO. I can't believe you just called my dog a lesbian. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

quote:

Is it really necessary for you to even bring this up here in an attempt to spoil their fun?

Yea i think J5 took that all wrong. Unless amishangel was trying to spoil our fun. I think he just ment it to be like 'isn't that funny, it means lesbian in ASL.' BTW. Are you really amish? Just wodering about the whole elecricity thing and the camera taking your soul and so forth.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Because now I am Lost.

[This message was edited by J&MBella on October 08, 2003 at 10:28 PM.]

Cool! Now I know that if I do my "Jeremy" impression on the dance floor at some loud bar I will be conveying the exact message I want! (But I don't go to bars, I just geocache...)

"You'll curse when the need comes. Make it loud, make it complicated, make it long, and make it up if you have to, but it'll work all right." -Granny Weatherwax

A while back, months and months ago, there was a thread where all kinds of cachers changed their avatars to include "the finger pose". But since avatars change and don't stay on the thread if someone posts a new post, I won't bother linking to it. It was very funny. That's when I took this self portrait while caching alone in a storm. You've now seen me at my worst!

52133_2000.JPG

Planet

By the way, do *you* have any idea of what the deaf community would think? Although I can't speak on behalf of any commmunity, my guess is that most of them would laugh because it is exactly what it is supposed to be -- funny.

I do I do! I showed the cache sign to my deaf friends and they thought it was funny. I am pretty good with ASL and they have taught me a lot but I had no idea about the lesbian sign. So when I showed them they died laughing at me. So, not only did I make my deaf friends laugh, I learned a new sign!

THANKS geocaching.com! :)