Precedent for Geocaching

Guest Havasu Desert Rat

Guest Havasu Desert Rat

There has been a lot of discussion on the forums lately about the Park Service, Forest Service, BLM etc and whether geocaching is/should be allowed on those lands.

I just wanted to mention that there is a precedent for geocaching on public lands in the U.S., and worldwide for that matter, that goes way back. I'm a mountaineer from Colorado, and on top of every 14,000' peak in the state, and some of the lesser peaks as well, there is a summit register. Most of these registers are the size of a small to medium geocache container and have a log book and pencil/pen. Nobody has ever questioned their presence. It's a given. The only difference with geocaching is that we trade trinkets in addition to signing the log, and our containers are a little better hidden.

Guest EraSeek

Yes! I've been thinking about this too. I remember when around here in the Cascades almost every peak did have a register. It is less and less so now but you are right! My feeling is that the NPS should allow "logbook only" caches as part of an understanding with us. A logbook in a small tupperware container. And perhaps an understanding that two of these physical caches cannot be located within the same area. All others in the area must be virtual.

Guest CaptHawke

Is this true for Long's Peak in Rocky Mountain NP? Thats the only Colorado 14,000 footer I can recall being on NPS property.

Anybody know about peaks in the Sierras, Tetons or Cascades? Especially peaks within NPs.

Cephas Hawke

Bedford, NH

Guest c.mathis

We have several peaks in San Diego County that are only about 6,000 ft. but they have registers on them. It seems that the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park and Cleveland National Forest have been allowing "caches" for years.

Guest Havasu Desert Rat

I've climbed Longs Peak twice and signed the summit register both times. It has been a while, but I'll bet it's still there and still being maintained by the Colorado Mountaineering Club. (I hope I'm remembering their name correctly. Old timers disease, you know.) icon_wink.gif I have also stood on top of the Grand Teton and signed the summit register there.

[This message has been edited by Havasu Desert Rat (edited 04 August 2001).]

Guest Havasu Desert Rat

I've climbed Longs Peak twice and signed the summit register both times. It has been a while, but I'll bet it's still there and still being maintained by the Colorado Mountaineering Club. (I hope I'm remembering their name correctly. Old timers disease, you know.) icon_wink.gif I have also stood on top of the Grand Teton and signed the summit register there.

[This message has been edited by Havasu Desert Rat (edited 04 August 2001).]