Curious Minds...

I was just wondering if any of you keep a log book for your self. A book you keep with you to write all the caches you have been to and what you took or left and the # it was. I do this, to keep for fond memories. I am also placing pictures in there if i took any by the cache or it itself (virtual). It would be a great coffee table book if you get real creative and go scrap book heaven there. But family members would be looking at it, friends and you too if you have not already get more people involved. Just remember the nore people who know about geocaching the more caches there will be out there!! What do you do?? icon_rolleyes.gif

I keep a logbook as well. Nothing fancy, same type as a cache logbook. This way I can write down some notes about the cache, what i took, left, etc. When I get home 1st I type it up all nice on the computer, then I cut/paste it into the website AND into a digital log book I keep. This way, should something happen like the cache owner deletes my log (accidently or on purpose) or the cache, or god forbid something ever happened to geocaching.com or its database, I still have an exact copy of every log I've posted

Illegitimus non carborundum!

We have kept a logbook of every cache we have been to and hidden. I also record the coords, time/date and a detailed description of what we traded, anything interesting that happened, and anything else I can think of. With 100+ finds its fun to sit down with the kids and look back over some of the adventures we have had in the last year.

A182pilot & Family

He who angers you, controls you.

I kept a log until recently. I had it online until yesterday. It somehow seemed like an affectation to have it on line, so I deleted it.

I do have a couple of pages on my web site about geocaching, though, and I always tell people who ask me what I'm up to about the hobby.

If I could figure out how to get a Pocket Query for over 500 miles I could make an eBook of my found caches. Maybe I just had a thought. Find a zip code halfway between here and there would get me 1000 miles from here. Can I get them in chronological order by found date? Hmmm

Mike

Never forget, It's just a game.

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

I don't keep a logbook ... I keep a database.

Ditto. With all of the "creeping features" I put into it, it's about 9MB now. Does Geodashing stuff as well. I have it set up to do coordinate conversion, distance between to sets of coordinates (bearing as well) and entering in a new caches will let me know the proximity to known landmarks (Sears Tower, Interstate intersections, my office, etc.).

I also utilize this to update my personal webpages, where I detail more information than I usually put on the cache page - including the possibility of spoilers, so lurk carefully. icon_wink.gif

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

[This message was edited by Markwell on July 31, 2002 at 02:41 PM.]

quote:
I also utilize this to update my personal webpages, where I detail more information than I usually put on the cache page - including the possibility of spoilers, so lurk carefully. icon_wink.gif

That's pretty similar to what I did with my site. (Warning, mine also has possible spoilers in some entries.) I have mine set up to automatically capture my "official" logs, I then go through later and add additional info for many of the cache hunts.

I have kept a scrapbook of every cache I have found and hidden. Each page has pictures and notes about the cache and hike, including what I took and left, if anything. Right now I am half way trough my 3rd book of 50. They seem to be a big hit at the picnics, and they make a nice visual presentation of Geocaching to anyone who wants to know more about it. I was quoted for a newspaper article about Geocaching last summer, so that article is in the scrapbook too.

quote:
Originally posted by scooterj:

quote:
I also utilize this to update my http://www.markwell.us where I detail more information than I usually put on the cache page - including the possibility of spoilers, so lurk carefully. icon_wink.gif

I have mine set up to automatically capture my "official" logs, I then go through later and add additional info for many of the cache hunts.

Scooterj,

How are you capturing your "official" logs?

dteec - a curious web developer

As a former weblogger, creating a log of my new geocaching adventures seemed like a fun thing to do. As habitual website designers know, it is a hard habit to break - and very fun to design and tinker with a new website. So, The Cache was born. (I'm still thinking of a niftier title for the site) I guess if an online journal and link collection is a "weblog", this could be called a "geolog." Even though no one other than myself may ever look at it, it sure has been fun dreaming up ideas for it!

It was first inspired by Mr. Snazz's photolog of his caching hunts. I'm going to do something similar on mine - a page for each cache I find (and hide), with tons of pictures, journaling, etc. Another HUGE inspiration was Bump On A Log - which has more of a traditional weblog feel, with an photolog added on.

In fact, this post is making me itch to get home and get my first three cache logs up!

I also keep a written log of my own - so I can letterbox as well. I write the main data stats of each cache I visit, the date, a narrative of the cache hunt, and what I took and left. I plan to add in photos, too.

I've recently started to keep a paper logbook. It's very simple. All it has is the name, date, type, found/not found, and swaps. All very brief. I have been signing the cache's logbooks even more brief. Any interesting comments I tend to log on the cache's webpage.

quote:
Originally posted by dteec:

Scooterj,

How are you capturing your "official" logs?

dteec - a curious web developer

I've written a really nasty Perl program that I run after I finish a cache hunt and have finished logging all my finds. It makes an HTTP connection to my "My Cache Page" and scans the page for log entries that haven't been previously logged on my system. It then makes HTTP connections to those particular cache pages and sifts through to grab info about the cache and my log entry. Lastly, it checks my travel bugs and the travel bugs I have found to see if any of them have moved. If so, it grabs the new info.

Grabbing the log info takes seconds since it only grabs my new entries. Generating the maps, though, that can run anywhere from 5 minutes to half an hour depending on how many new maps are needed and how busy the map server is.