Who's in favour of hiding all "found" counts?

Make each cacher's numbers available to them (even with a break down of each type), but too many people are judging others based solely on a number of finds.

All you really need to "judge" whether someone should be taken seriously as a cacher is a particular number at which we can all agree (yeah, right) that a cacher has "earned his/her stripes".

Let's use 25 as an example. Once a person has found 25 caches he/she earns a "star" or some other indicator. (Think about it, after 25 finds you pretty much "GET" geocaching. You've "proven" your ability to find caches.) More stars, or different color stars, aren't needed as people would just continue to fudge their numbers to earn new stars. Two levels, newbie or cacher.

An interesting idea, but I wouldn't necessarily define "newbie" only based on the number of finds. Awhile back I was looking at the logs of a well known power trail and read one by a cacher that had 1100+ finds. Their profile indicated that they had joined a day earlier, the day that they found their first cache on the trail. So even though they had more finds (of nearly identical caches) in one day than I've had in over four years of geocaching, I would consider their breadth of experience enough to elevate them above "newbie" status.

From another thread, it appears there are a large number of people who feel that the "caches found" count doesn't matter. Jeremy said on a recent thread:

"Who's Line is it Anyway?

Points don't matter.

Really.

Points don't matter. Unless we employ a statistician it will never be fair. I'll continue to say that Geocaching is not a competition but a pasttime. If folks want to get into friendly competition that is fine, but the site was designed to keep competition a nonissue."

I think its about time that individual found counts be removed from view from everyone except that individual player.

You may not agree with what I say, but I will defend, to your death, my right to say it!

I agree. Eventually it will turn into a numbers game and the participants will just be competing for points. Caches will lose trade items and become scattered around as part of a road rallye. :rolleyes:

Looking to win a "contest"? :ph34r:

May 2002...yup, this one's a moldie oldie.

Congrats. :laughing:

From another thread, it appears there are a large number of people who feel that the "caches found" count doesn't matter. Jeremy said on a recent thread:

Points don't matter.

Really.

Points don't matter. Unless we employ a statistician it will never be fair. I'll continue to say that Geocaching is not a competition but a pasttime. If folks want to get into friendly competition that is fine, but the site was designed to keep competition a nonissue."

I think its about time that individual found counts be removed from view from everyone except that individual player.

You may not agree with what I say, but I will defend, to your death, my right to say it!

I agree. Eventually it will turn into a numbers game and the participants will just be competing for points. Caches will lose trade items and become scattered around as part of a road rallye. :rolleyes:

Looking to win a "contest"? :ph34r:

May 2002...yup, this one's a moldie oldie.

Congrats. :laughing:

It may be a moldie oldie, but it is interesting to see that the arguments Geocachers get into haven't change over the years. :D

I think this is a wonderful example of how the game has changed over the years. When I became a part of the game a few hundred finds was a big deal. Now a few hundred or thousand finds can be had in a few days. Each of us has the opportunity to decide what matters in the way we play the game.

I think this is a wonderful example of how the game has changed over the years. When I became a part of the game a few hundred finds was a big deal. Now a few hundred or thousand finds can be had in a few days. Each of us has the opportunity to decide what matters in the way we play the game.

I'm a few months ahead of you, and this was even before both of our times. But didn't they in fact try to hide the find counts in 2002, and it lasted like a few days? Not unlike when they decided they were going to count Challenges in the find count, and that one too lasted a few days in 2011? :P

I can't understand how someone can only find 126 caches in 10 years and yet have 800+ forum posts? :unsure:

Personally, I like to see find counts. I enjoy watching my numbers go up and the numbers of people around me. One guy from town has just done the ET caches and we watched daily, it was quite amazing how his finds went up. Like 1000 in 1 week. Very cool. :D

Edited by The_Incredibles_

I can't understand how someone can only find 126 caches in 10 years and yet have 800+ forum posts? :unsure:

Personally, I like to see find counts. I enjoy watching my numbers go up and the numbers of people around me. One guy from town has just done the ET caches and we watched daily, it was quite amazing how his finds went up. Like 1000 in 1 week. Very cool. :D

Simple. You have 861 forum posts by like the end of 2002, and disappear from the forums forever. I'm going to guess you didn't notice the date of the original posts was May, 2002. :laughing:

Besides, I'm just as big of a freaking loser, as I approach 3 times as many forum posts than finds. :huh:

Points don't matter.

Really.

Well with 6 times more posts then finds, and none of the finds being all that impressive. You should start hunting, stop posting and worry about yourself, not what others are doing.

I would personally like the found stats to be shown. I mean, if some people enjoy it and it does not really affect you having the stats there, does it really matter to you if folks see it?

Caching would not be as fun for me if I got all my numbers in a vacuum without seeing what others did.

Points don't matter.

Really.

Well with 6 times more posts then finds, and none of the finds being all that impressive. You should start hunting, stop posting and worry about yourself, not what others are doing.

Well then, good thing I'm not quite at 3 times as many forum posts as finds. And further proof no one actually reads my posts anyways. :lol:

HELLO?? Bumped thread from 2002.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Simple. You have 861 forum posts by like the end of 2002, and disappear from the forums forever. I'm going to guess you didn't notice the date of the original posts was May, 2002. :laughing:

Besides, I'm just as big of a freaking loser, as I approach 3 times as many forum posts than finds. :huh:

:blink: Thanks for pointing that out. Who bumped a 9 year old thread?

OMG I've got 354 posts and only 554 finds. I need to go find more caches. :unsure:

Edited by The_Incredibles_

Points don't matter.

Really.

Nice post. It proves that the forum post counts should be hidden also. :rolleyes:

I'm a few months ahead of you, and this was even before both of our times. But didn't they in fact try to hide the find counts in 2002, and it lasted like a few days? Not unlike when they decided they were going to count Challenges in the find count, and that one too lasted a few days in 2011? :P

They removed the find counts from logs. They were still visible in everybody's profiles. They removed the find counts due to performance issues, not because of any philosophical reason. After a huge uproar they restored them but changed when they were updated to ameliorate the performance issues.