Overall stats ranking

Bull Moose

quote:
Originally posted by ShaneN4Girls:

If it doesn't work this time, I'M OUT!!!!

http://www.texasgeocaching.comhttp://www.keenpeople.com/stats/

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."- Jim Elliot

You need to put %20 between the words YOUR and PURPOSE. I had that problem myself. I'd recommend emailing the sys admin at keenpeople about the problem.

I'd also test out any changes to sig files on the 'how to load an avatar' thread in the Newbie Board.

southdeltan

mystats.php?userid=southdeltan&vopt=link&txtdata=MS%20Geocachers%20Association&bgcol=FFFFFF&fgcol=000000

OK, I'll try to help limit the frustration. I know it took me a good bit of time to figure this thing out...

Go to this page first. Where it says "Your KeenPeople.com Login ID" make sue your ID is in the space to the left then click on the MAKE HTML button. Below the BBCode will appear in the box, this is the code you will need to copy.

Next, go to the Modify Your Account screen on the Geocaching.com site and paste the BBCode into the box for your Signature. At the top of the Modify Your Account screen is a "logout" link. Click this link to log out of the Geocaching.com website. Close all open browser windows.

Now you can re-open your browser and log back in to the Geocaching.com website and the stat thing will appear at the bottom of each of your NEW posts.

Hope this helps!

mystats.php?userid=btouch&vopt=&txtdata=Stats%20Rule!&bgcol=FFFFFF&fgcol=000000

I beleive there is a problem in the user generated text to go into the box.

If you have problems - you should pick your ranking or the keenpeople link. I had problems trying to put my own text in and it never would work. I see some people have gotten it to work - I'm not sure how...

southdeltan

mystats.php?userid=southdeltan&vopt=link&txtdata=MS%20Geocachers%20Association&bgcol=FFFFFF&fgcol=000000

Well I had some problems in the beginning, but I prevailed. I thought I would lend my helping hand.

First off:

Make sure you joined keenpeople.com and entered all the stat info.

After doing that go to:

http://www.keenpeople.com/index.php?option=com_cachestat&Itemid=87&func=link

If this link does not work… then on the search box in keenpeople.com type link generator.

This link generator will do everything for you.

linkgenerator.jpg

Make sure your keenpeople login id is in the ID box

Under that you can choose what state logo you would like, and if your state or organization is not there just keep it on “none”

Tagline options: the first one will show your raking and user defined is what you type in the box to the right hand corner

Pick the colors to the right and then click the “make html” button.

It will show you at the top what it will look like. If you do not like the colors you have chosen, then pick again, and click the “make html” button again until you are happy.

Once you get it looking the way you want, go down to the second box, which is the BBCode output box. Highlight everything in that box, and either hit ctrl and c and the same time or right click and click on copy.

Now go to your profile page, and in the signature page at the very bottom right click in there, and click on paste.

Save your changes, and then log out, and then log back in. When you go to forums and reply and that box pops up, make sure that the signature box is checked.

Hope this helps!!!

mystats.php?userid=jeanniereeves&vopt=&txtdata=Stats%20Rule!&bgcol=ffffff&fgcol=006600&imbadge=y&badgetyp=kansas.jpg [/url

quote:
Originally posted by ShaneN4Girls:

Thanks guys, esp southdeltan for the %20 (and I should have known to test the blasted thing on the avatar link - sorry I bogged down...)

http://www.texasgeocaching.comhttp://www.keenpeople.com/stats/

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."- Jim Elliot

No problemo - I had that same problem and I had to get help icon_smile.gif I just thought I'd pass it along.

southdeltan

This is a friendly thread full of people helping each other, so I'll move right along to the next one, but I do wish to point out that there is already a test thread in the "Getting Started" forum for checking out new avatars and signature taglines. Also, the keenpeople.com forums would seem to be a better place for this discussion.

124791_700.jpg Don't make me stop this car!

I'm not sure how this can work -- the only way stats (most found in Florida, for example) would make any sense is if they really reflected the entire Florida geocaching community. So right now, I'm #6 in the state -- wow! with only 58 caches found. Oh yes, only seven people from Florida are registered on the site. How is the word going to get out to ALL geocachers, which is necessary to make the stats meaningful -- certainly CG.com is not going to send out an email to all of its members suggesting they register on this site.

Frankly, the only way this can be done in that manner is if GC.com develops their own stats, and has them linked directly to those registered on THIS site.

quote:
Originally posted by Bull Moose:

It's fun to watch how many people are signing up for the Keenpeople.com stats tracking by watching how far my ranking falls between each time I come to the forum.

I think I started out as something like #90 overall, as of this writing I'm down to #165. Which is still pretty high for a paltry 107 finds.

Come on people, let's see how low we can get my overall ranking! icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.keenpeople.com/stats/

I was in the top 10 to start but that faded very quickly. Oh well. I couldn't hope to be at the level as those in more cache rich areas. I am looking forward to the state stats that are being worked on right now.

mystats.php?userid=beatnik&vopt=&txtdata=Stats%20Rule!&bgcol=ffffff&fgcol=000000&imbadge=y&badgetyp=tag.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by hikemeister:

I'm not sure how this can work -- the only way stats (most found in Florida, for example) would make any sense is if they really reflected the entire Florida geocaching community. So right now, I'm #6 in the state -- wow! with only 58 caches found. Oh yes, only seven people from Florida are registered on the site. How is the word going to get out to ALL geocachers, which is necessary to make the stats meaningful -- certainly CG.com is not going to send out an email to all of its members suggesting they register on this site.

Frankly, the only way this can be done in that manner is if GC.com develops their own stats, and has them linked directly to those registered on THIS site.

The best way is to let your friends know about it. Does it have to make sense to everyone? I'm really only interested in comparing with people I know. Since it's opt-in that makes it better for those that have no interest.

My state only had 1 person two days ago which was me. Now there are 7 because I took the time to let people know. Not everyone reads the forums so you have to get the word out in other ways. There were three icons on the state page 2 days ago including mine. Now there are 9. Not to mention 40 new people in the last day. The stats page is very new and being developed still. Give it time and people that want to use it will.

The more people that use it (primarily paying members) the more likely that Jeremy will be willing to create something here. If not people will continue to drift away, because the issue obviously isn't dying.

mystats.php?userid=beatnik&vopt=&txtdata=Stats%20Rule!&bgcol=ffffff&fgcol=000000&imbadge=y&badgetyp=tag.jpg

quote:

Actually GC.COM has talked about this some in these threads and it's obvious that it would be "opt-in" which means it's really no more accurate than if you were to sign up elsewhere. If only 5 people in florida signup youre still in the same boat.

quote:
The best way is to let your friends know about it. Does it have to make sense to everyone? I'm really only interested in comparing with people I know. Since it's opt-in that makes it better for those that have no interest.

Beatnik is totally right here. In areas where people care about stats (Michigan, Texas) you see HUGE participation.

One more thing is that having it not tied directly to gc.com it means that you have the ability to keep stats on caches found on other system, or bonus caches, etc. You cant count bonus caches in your geocaching.com profile unless it's logged here. I personally have one that's not listed here but is a bonus.

--

SpongeRob

rwmech@keenpeople.com

www.keenpeople.com

mystats.php?userid=rwmech&bgcol=ffffff&fgcol=0000ff

So how do these stats interpret a single 5/5 rated cache from a bunch 1/1's? Doesn't the present system encourage numbers people to avoid more challenging time consuming caches and just do urban sweeps. Perhaps in a new system a cache honestly rated as a 5 would count as 5 points and a 1 could be worth one point. Then I could see stat's meaning something.

Shouldn't only caches found in ones own state count for that persons rating within that state.

quote:
Originally posted by eroyd:

So how do these stats interpret a single 5/5 rated cache from a bunch 1/1's? Doesn't the present system encourage numbers people to avoid more challenging time consuming caches and just do urban sweeps. Perhaps in a new system a cache honestly rated as a 5 would count as 5 points and a 1 could be worth one point. Then I could see stat's meaning something.

I've been on 1/1's that should have been rated higher, but the hider refused to adjust it. I've also had an easy time with some 3/1's and 4/1's. There is no way to assign rankings based on arbitrary difficulty ratings. Everyone has a different opinion of how easy/difficult a particular cache is.

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness bandbass.gif

nm_button.gifmystats.php?userid=Team%20GPSaxophone&vopt=&txtdata=&bgcol=FFFFFF&fgcol=000000

Keenpeople is pretty useless. Because it's opt in, it's missing thousands of geocachers. Heck I'm #1 in NJ last I looked, because I was the only one registered. I barely cracked the top 20 on Dan's site.

For a stats site to be useful, it should include everyone, or at least be opt out.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm