Groundspeak Forum suggestions

Guest Silver

Guest Silver

Jeremy, does the UBB software let you customize the settings for the forums?

Two features I wonder if you could incorporate:

• Breaking the long topics into pages. Some of the topics have gotten over 200K in length and waiting for the entire thread to display to read the last post is frustrating. Any way to set it so anything over, say, 60-70K gets broken into two pages with the second page displayed first?
  • Automatically shortening long URL links. Some of the links that get posted are over 130 characters in length. Will the software let you filter them and replace long links with a generic 'LINK' or "Click Here' message? Scrolling sideways for two screens to read a topic with a long URL in one post is a little tiring.

Anyone else have any other suggestions that might make this message board easier for everyone to use? The Ultimate Bulletin Board? software has some customization, but not everything is supported by the software. Jeremy has a great message board here and he always seems open to suggestions.

Silver

[This message has been edited by Silver (edited 30 May 2001).]

Guest Rich in NEPA

quote:
Originally posted by Silver:

Anyone else have any other suggestions that might make this message board easier for everyone to use?

Silver

I wouldn't mind the page breaks since it would shorten loading times, but I really would like to have the thread displayed in reversed order, i.e., the most recent posts at the top.

~Rich~

Guest Iron Chef

quote:

Automatically shortening long URL links. Some of the links that get posted are over 130 characters in length. Will the software let you filter them and replace long links with a generic 'LINK' or "Click Here' message?

Even though HTML code is not enabled in posts, it is still possible to do a few HTML-esque things with the UBB code. so it is possible to make John's found geocaches (but replace the "<" and ">" with brackets "[" and "]") which would then look like John's found geocaches

I hope this helps you out a bit.

------------------

-Iron Chef

_ _ _________________ _ _

agefive.com/geocache/

"But a big booming voice from the sky is exactly what you have found..."

-Contact

geocaching is a copyright of geocaching.com and Jeremy Irish.

[This message has been edited by Iron Chef (edited 30 May 2001).]

Guest bob_renner

There is already a feature to only show topics less than x number of days old. Could something like this be added so that once you select a topic, only posts less than y number of days old are shown? This would eliminate the LONG threads from being downloaded each time.

Bob

Guest Silver

Iron Chef,

Thanks for a great example of what happens when a long URL gets posted. Most people don't use the UBB Codes? and that's why I wondered if the software could automatically filter long URLs into shorter links.

The UBB Code? for the above example would look like this:

John's found geocaches

Silver

Guest Iron Chef

quote:

Iron Chef,

Thanks for a great example of what happens when a long URL gets posted. Most people don't use the UBB Codes? and that's why I wondered if the software could automatically filter long URLs into shorter links.

The UBB Code? for the above example would look like this:

John's found geocaches

Silver

Yea, i know what you mean when not too many people usen the UBB code. It's too bad since it is made to be as easy as possible by cutting a lot of the nonsense out of HTML. :~)

Guest Iron Chef

quote:

Jeremy, does the UBB software let you customize the settings for the forums?

Two features I wonder if you could incorporate:

Breaking the long topics into pages. Some of the topics have gotten over 200K in length and waiting for the entire thread to display to read the last post is frustrating. Any way to set it so anything over, say, 60-70K gets broken into two pages with the second page displayed first?

Anyone else have any other suggestions that might make this message board easier for everyone to use? The Ultimate Bulletin Board? software has some customization, but not everything is supported by the software. Jeremy has a great message board here and he always seems open to suggestions.

Silver

I just was looking at another UBB board and it looks like in later versions v6.02+ that the admins can break very active posts up pretty easily into a set of pages with 20 or so posts a page. The Pin Maps topic was getting kinda big (333K at last check) and was taking a few seconds to load, but it is also a testament to how much people care about geocaching (then again im really tired/sleepy and i may be way off here, need to stop Sleepwalk Typing...).

-Iron Chef