MORE ABOUT GROUNDSPEAK

Caching around the world; the same experience?

Caching up, over:

119047_8600.jpg

Michigan, 2003.

Caching down, under:

119047_8500.JPG

Australia, 2003.

Caching where it rains, mainly on the plain:

119047_8700.JPG

Spain, 2003.

Caching somewhere over the rainbow:

119047_8800.JPG

Kansas, 2003.

ingeo-button2.gif

==============="If it feels good...do it"================

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")**

Geocaching is growing exponentially. As of today, there are 68457 active caches in 185 countries. In the last 7 days, there have been 35257 new logs written by 9154 account holders.

Running the Geocaching.com site today must be a lot more than just a hobby. The amount of time and energy spent, coupled with all the legal hassels and commercial pitfalls could be mind-boggling.

To put things in perspective, I have reproduced one of the early forum posts by jeremy. It appeared in the Geocaching Notices section.

quote:
jeremy posted June 04, 2001 01:24 PM

The Geocaching web site and forums have taken its toll on me, severely impacting my job and personal life. I've been thinking about taking a less active role in the day to day administration of the forums and mailing list, as well as the many changes to the web site to address the great suggestions of the participants. I'll touch on a couple of points to summarize some decisions and changes I have made.

1. Geocaching Trademark - Yes, I did file a trademark for Geocaching. My intent was to protect the name from being trademarked by some other entity, and enforced to remove the use of geocaching as the name of the game. If you check out netsaint.org (great program, by the way), you'll see the result of not claiming a trademark. Fortunately, the game has gotten enough press and the name is now widespread enough where it is unnecessary to protect the name. Therefore I am no longer pursuing the trademark, except as it related to sales of goods with the Geocaching logo designed by Grounded, Inc. You are free to use the word geocaching in any form you like. However, any creative of mine (logo, "you are the search engine" quote) is owned by Grounded, Inc. and me. Feel free to make your own logo and quote for the sport if you like. If you create a fan site and want to use my logo, as long as you have it link back to me I'm fine with it - just let me know out of common courtesy.

2. Mailing List / Forums - As of this moment I am no longer hosting the email discussion list, except as a place to provide announcements. If you want to host a discussion list, please let me know and I'll put your link on the "discuss geocaching" link on the web site. So folks who have wanted to do regional discussion boards, or whatever, feel free to let me know and I'll add your link to the site. The original discussion list, "gpsstash", is on Yahoo eGroups. There are still a lot of participants there to chat. However, I will not be a member of the list.

As for the forums, it was brought to my attention that some folks are abusing the anonymous posting capability, and posting as multiple people to support their registered posts. As a result you need to be registered in order to post to the forums now.

Unfortunately, whatever I maintain can be considered biased (or censored, etc), so it makes a lot of sense to allow other discussion boards to chat about the sport. Although I think I've kept the discussion forums pretty open for discourse, the thought that I am suppressing any kind of discussion makes it obvious that I shouldn't take on that role.

3. Email / Accessibility - I will no longer be taking an active role in discussions during the day. Recently the game has severely impacted my day job, and I have been too distracted to be as productive as I would have liked. So between the hours of 8-6 (PST) and I will have limited access to geocaching related email. If you notice a lag in my responses, this is why.

In addition, I will be parceling out my free time responding to emails. You may also notice a lag even in the evenings.

4. Pay for Play - Recently there have been fears that the site will become Pay for Play. I want to make it clear right now that I, Jeremy Irish, CEO of Grounded Inc., will never make the geocaching sport a pay for play service, as least as far as I can control it on Geocaching.com. Hopefully that will quash any misinformation in the future. I believe the sport remaining free is in the best interests of the game.

Last but not least -

As long as people are interested in going out and playing geocaching, I will continue to create new features to the geocaching.com site to surprise and amuse folks to play the game. Hopefully other web sites who offer services to the geocaching community will continue to make it a fun game to play. I for one still enjoy working on the game and still have fun.

Jeremy

And here is a photo of Jeremy about the same time:

119047_10000.JPG

Jeremy caching, 2001.

ingeo-button2.gifbad_boy_a.gifpuke.gif

Refering to my previous post...

quote:
The Geocaching web site and forums have taken its toll on me, severely impacting my job and personal life. I've been thinking about taking a less active role in the day to day administration

...it would be interesting to hear a response from Jeremy, 2 years later, about how Groundspeak has affected his life.

It would also be interesting to hear from some of the other geocaching people, like moun10bike, hydee, Elias, and other *old timers* with Groundspeak. (And early cachers, too.)

ingeo-button2.gifbad_boy_a.gifpuke.gif

Images have become controversial in the Groundspeak forums.

Here is an image with at least two well-known geocachers:

Webcam caching in New Orleans

bad_boy_a.gif

quote:
Originally posted by sept1c_tank:

Forum moderator UMC:

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/119047_10200.jpg http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/avatar/75050_2500.jpg

_UMC moderating a webcam

That's one fine looking bucket of doot! The camera adds 20 pounds.

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Assimilating golf balls - one geocache at a time.

http://www.mi-geocaching.org

Text sigs can be just as annoying as images.

quote:

__Sometimes_...geocachers act strange!_ icon_rolleyes.gif

Huh, they do?smile.gif

1773250_400.jpgSome Finnish geocachers: top left Stargher, Captain Morgan, Divine, Jeo of Jeo&Kirsi, below Epeli and Mauri of mavesatu

- I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory. -

1760418_800.jpg

Here is a picture of a beautiful wooden two person kayak, handmade by Jomarac5, resting atop my Suzuki Sidekick. (The Suzuki was previously owned by RobertM.)

This picture was taken July 23, 2003, while geocaching near Pitt Lake, BC.

Edit:

There are two versions of every picture

2916180f-bf90-4716-af8d-2986ff769bd1.jpg

[This message was edited by canadazuuk on October 21, 2003 at 04:35 AM.]

quote:

_St. Louis area cache approver:_

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/4552_700.jpg

_*gln is an avid cacher/approver._

http://www.keenpeople.com/components/mystats.php?userid=sept1c_tank&vopt=user&txtdata=Who%20Cares?&bgcol=ffcc99&fgcol=003300 bad_boy_a.gif

Anyone remember Battlestar Galactica 1980??? icon_smile.gif;)

---------------------------------------

Free your mind and the rest will follow

icon_biggrin.gif

Keep on caching, and keep on doing the great (thankless) job you're doing at Groundspeak.

And "tanks" for being a good sport about all these pics I'm posting! icon_wink.gif

bad_boy_a.gif

quote:

_How to post an avatar..._

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/52133_1600.jpg

_Everybody has seen, or posted to

this thread by Planet (pictured above)._

http://www.keenpeople.com/components/mystats.php?userid=sept1c_tank&vopt=user&txtdata=Who%20Cares?&bgcol=ffcc99&fgcol=003300 bad_boy_a.gif

===============_"If it feels good...do it"_================

**_(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")_**

I prefer this picture thank you.

52133_1600.jpg

And how come I'm in this thread? Are you thinking I am a part of Groundspeak because I started the avatar thread? Well, I'm just a geocacher who got tired of multiple threads about avatars, just like everyone else did at the time and I started that thread. Jeremy, or one of his staff decided it was a good idea to keep it up top, so folks could try their avatars on for size. That's all. I am loyal to the frog, yes, but I don't work for the frog. I would consider an "Assistant to the Approver" position if there was one, but for now I am a geocacher. Long live the frog!

Remember folks, log out and log back in!!!

I cache, therefore I am.

Planet

[This message was edited by Planet on November 08, 2003 at 08:21 PM.]