Leave no Trace

After the last two weekends of caching, I've added a machette to my cache pack. icon_wink.gif I mean, I whole heartly agree with leaving no trace; but until mother nature agrees with that and cures my poison ivy, scratches from those thorny trees, the misquito bites (which reside in the middle of the poison ivy rash), the rash from the nettles, and the dizziness I feel every now and then from the snake bite, until SHE stops leaving traces on ME, I'll leave a few on her. icon_mad.gif That, or I'll just hunt down the cache owner who placed the cache in the middle of all of this. icon_biggrin.gif

(Note: I managed to avoid falling from the cliff table and removed the ticks before they bit, so I was not a total wreck.) icon_wink.gif

Bear & Ting [cynical mode: off]

I thought I was a little off, then I looked at my GPS and discovered I accurate to 12 ft.

Geocachers don't NEED to ask for directions!

Hey, any geocache that requires a machete is a kickass geocache in my book. It sounds like nature in IN is as prolific as it is here in WA. A cache can be choked by blackberry bushes (thorns big time!) in a month. Whatever you do, don’t blame the cache owner! Really, you know you enjoyed every minute of it. icon_eek.gif

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

What is the price of experience, do men buy it for a song,

Or wisdom for a dance in the street.................

If you need a machete to reach a cache than perhaps you need to think if this is the intended trail that the cache placer followed. Given Central Florida's year round growing season and swamp like conditions I have often found that if the underbrush is so thick that I need a machaete than I usually try a different approach.

Sometimes the most direct way to a cache is following a straight line

I know of one cache here that would by now require the use of some type of brush removal to get to. Ohh yeah the trail is right there, but so are the evergreen blackberries! It is not necessarily the growing season as much as the vegetation you are dealing with and around here the blackberries are ruthless (honorable mention to devils club)!

icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:
Originally posted by infosponge:

Just remember folks, napalm and tupperware don't mix!

Just ONE more reason to use ammo boxes!!!!

Bear & Ting

I thought I was a little off, then I looked at my GPS and discovered I accurate to 12 ft.

Geocachers don't NEED to ask for directions!

Forget the machette! What I do is bring one of those large pump spray tanks filled with Roundup or some other herbicide (I've looked for Agent Orange, but Home Depot doesn't sell it anymore).

When I find a route to a cache that is overgrown, I simply spray the area liberally with the Roundup, come back a few days later and it's smooth sailing to the cache. Works like a charm.

A friend said that my doing this could give the sport a bad name and lead to its being banned in many places. I told him he was out of his mind

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

I prefer good old used car oil. Douse the area and then you have 2 choices.

If it's in tupperware:

Wait a few days and you can walk on in as most things are dead.

If it's in an ammo can: light it up, wait a bit and your ready to go.

"...Not all those who wander are lost..."