Maryland Caches Up For Grabs

Klause Von Kuhn here, I just want everyone to know that all of my caches in Maryland are open for adoption. If anyone wants them, you have my permission to claim them. I have resigned from my position as the Secretary and Emmas Tiger has resigned from her position as the Treasurer of the Maryland Geocaching Society. We have decided to leave the MGS and say farewell to all.

We don't live in Maryland, so this doesn't really apply to us in any way, but thank you for your contributions to the sport. Are you leaving geocaching entirely or just leaving the society? It seems kind of sad to let go of the work you've done on the large number of caches you have placed. We wish you the best!

The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.---Matthew 13:44

Matt & Julia

To view our online geocaching diary/blog, click here

I'm sure that there's a juicy story behind this.

Let's hear it.

Was there a colossal power struggle, a bloodless coup, angry peasants with pitchforks?

Who said angry thing to whom?

Feel free to drag it out into the open here.

Mickey

Max Entropy

More than just a name, a lifestyle.

Hmmmmm, must be some bitterness here, but apparently someone is confusing their membership in some silly state geocaching society, with the sport of geocaching itself.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

quote:
Klause showed some class. How about the rest of you doing the same?

Unlike those who hide behind sock puppet accounts?

But really, is it classy to bring your dispute with your local geocaching society to the general forums?

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

From Mrs. Last Lap:

BrianSnot... I mean BrianSnat, I'm afraid you might be wrong. You see, KVK has placed A LOT of caches... I mean A LOT! He was just voted "Hider of the Year" in the MD Geocaching Society! His caches are proven to be some of the best in the state, and The Last Lap Gang, for two, still would like to find them. I'd hate to see them disappear. If he wants to end his Geocaching hobby, it is commendable that he seeks to find people to adopt his caches. It is entirely reasonable that he post about his Geocaching Status here in the Forums. What better place to advertise for people to adopt his caches?

Since we do animal rescue, I often post in forums and classifieds looking for adoptive homes for surrendered pets. What's the difference here? KVK needs adopters for his caches. He's not asking for sympathy, not airing his laundry (I'm sure he has a Dryer for that), not stirring up trouble... he's just looking for people to take over some of his caches, so that he can cut back a little. Seeing that you are in NJ, this thread barely applies to you. GEES!

Wags, Russ & Erin

[This message was edited by Last Lap Gang on July 28, 2003 at 10:36 AM.]

quote:
But really, is it classy to bring your dispute with your local geocaching society to the general forums?

Maybe I don't know how to read between the lines, but I didn't see any mention of a dispute by Klause. I saw Klause's neutral statement that Klause had resigned a position, was putting caches up for adoption, and was moving on; nothing more. I then saw other people hoping to dig up the dirt, so to speak.

Geocachers don't dig.

[This message was edited by U.Eat.Doots on July 28, 2003 at 10:44 AM.]

quote:
If he wants to end his Geocaching hobby, it is commendable that he seeks to find people to adopt his caches. It is entirely reasonable that he post about his Geocaching Status here in the Forums. What better place to advertise for people to adopt his caches?

Then why didn't the duplicate post in the NE forums have a similar title if the point was simply to get someone to adopt his caches?

Come on. Someone who has placed so many caches and is instrumental in introducing the sport to his state, announces here that he resigned from his position in the MGS, puts all his caches up for adoption and says he's quitting the sport (and then makes a reference to "dirty laundry" in the NE Forum), didn't invite some speculation about his reasons for doing so?

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on July 28, 2003 at 10:46 AM.]

From Mrs. Last Lap: Look SnottyBrian, if you want to stir up something, go bake a cake, or log on to the Jerry Springer forums.

Maybe KVK posted in two different places so that he could get more exposure. I'm sure he didn't want to just limit his cache adoptions to just MD and the surrounding states. Geocaching involves lots of travelers. Baltimore is a big town. I'm sure some people who may visit MD regularly might be interested in adopting a cache or two.

You know, not everyone desperately searches through ALL the forums looking for tidbits of gossip. Some people use them for information! If KVK's phrasing led readers to believe that there was some sort of scandal, then so be it, but I didn't see it as his intended point at all. We are not all eloquent posters, like you.

The MD Geocaching Society is a reputable society. Check them out at mdgps.net to see for yourself. KVK is a reputable cacher/hider and person. Neither has much to do with some caches that need to be adopted.

Wags, Russ & Erin

Geez Mrs Lust Lips (I can be as juvenile as you icon_eek.gif ), what bug crawled up your butt?

If you believe that the only reason Mr KVK posted his note (In the NE Forums the title was "Secretary & Treasurer Resigns From The Maryland Geocaching Society) was to solicit adopters for his caches, I have a bridge to sell you.

Posting such an "announcement" in a world-wide forum is about getting a reaction. Brian's reaction is what I'd expect in this thread.

My guess is that Klause (whether he realizes it or not) would like others to hear the whole story but doesn't want to be seen as making a bad exit.

Can someone just supply a brief synopsis of what happened so we can get this over with?

Look Brian plain and simple if their is a problem it is not our business nor yours. This is a post that was meant to spread the knowledge about caches available for adoption in Maryland. It is a common practice and courtesy down our way. Let us all stop the shenanigans of name calling (I don't care who started it) now! As for lust she has plenty of it so back off pal!

Wags, Russ & Erin