When to re-create a cache

I placed a cache, but due to the area, I moved it about 250ft away. Some found it the first time, and went back later with others to find it had moved (they had the new coords, just didn't realize the cache had moved). It was recommended to archive the old one and re-create the new hide as a new cache. Personally, I wouldn't go to the same location to find a cache again, even if coords were different. I guess it comes down to a second find on the same cache. Not sure what I want/should do. Thoughts?

Call it "cache 'X' version 2" or Release 1.2...

Just like a software upgrade. I do that with my first cache (#1636, Bass Hole Cache). I'm not going to give up an early #, and it does evolve a bit. Keep it within reason, don't move it from the side of a road to a top of a mountain miles away fer instance. And put a note out so people know it's moved if they have been keeping an eye on it.

As far as second finds, that's up to you...

Its kind of dealer's choice.

If it is a new experience, archive the old cache and create a new one. It will show up as a new cache and people will be able to log it again.

If it's not a new experience, just update the cache page. If you would rather people didn't log it twice, feel free to delete their logs. It might be a good idea to post a note that these second finds will not be accepted.

Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Ttepee and I replaced a cache in almost the same location, and it has a new name, and new logs are allowed. The first container was a Project Ape container and from what I'm told they were huge. W replaced it with a small tupperware and all new log book and trinkets, and hid it differently. Archiving is a pain to have reversed so leave it be, just note on the page that it has moved in a red banner across the top so previous finders will know.

Cache you later,

Planet

I feel much more like I do now than when I first got here.

quote:
Originally posted by sbell111:

Its kind of dealer's choice.

If it is a new experience, archive the old cache and create a new one. It will show up as a new cache and people will be able to log it again.

If it's not a new experience, just update the cache page. If you would rather people didn't log it twice, feel free to delete their logs. It might be a good idea to post a note that these second finds will not be accepted.

Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

dadgum steve! There we go agreeing again!

If it's in essentially the same area (same trail, same terrain, same hiding method) just update the page. DO NOT deletes the logs already there!

If you move it over the river and through the woods, or significantly change the hiding method, make it a new cache and archive the old one.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.