Convert a track to a route?

Your GPS can actually do it, without any acessories.

If you save a track, you can do the "trackback", which effectively will convert the track to a route, and let you follow that route.

Otherwise, I don't know. It may be possible with some of these freeware programs. But keep in mind that a route can usually not have as many legs as there are points in a track. Routes in a Garmin typically can have 50 legs max, while the active log in a Vista can hold 3000, and a saved track can have 250.

Anders

I'm not sure if Mapsource will do it or not but I know my mapping software (Fugawi) will do it? Also like Anders pointed out, your GPSR will do it for you. Last weekend I downloaded a saved track from last October to my GPS V and tried the Tracback feature for the first time. It created a dandy route and led me around the exact same path as last time. It is saved in the unit as a route and you could download to PC if you wish.

Cheers, Olar

wavey.gif

quote:
Originally posted by st_richardson:

Is it possible the convert a track to a route?

My resources include a Garmin Vista & all the Garmin map software.

Thanks!

You can't do it with Garmin's software, been there. I did have some luck using ExpertGPS, it will convert the Garmin track into a route. You can check it out before buying it, you can download it from http://www.topografix.com/download.asp

BB

47502_1000.gif

If it's not one thing, then it's another...

National Geographic Topo does this. You transfer your track from the Garmin and then Topo gives 3 choices using a maximum of 50 waypoints. You select the quantity you want. 1. A waypoint every mile 2. Evenly spaced along the track up to the quantity selected. 3. Match the shape of the track as closely as possible.

To me the last one makes the most sense most of the time although I haven't used it and I'm still trying to figure when I would.

Alan