Zero Milestone ??

Guest glenn95630

Guest GammaBoo

Haven't seen it for a long time now, but the local maps used to have a series of concentric rings marking the distance from the "zero milestone" to the surrounding area. I'm pretty sure this is the center of the original 10-mile-square area of the District of Columbia. It is no longer square because portions have been given back to Virginia.

In France, all of the distances from Paris are measured from a similar marker in front of Notre Dame Cathedral.

I'd say Gamma is right on. The zero milestone for a city is the place from which highway miles are measured. If you are on I95 and a sign says Washington, DC 124 miles, it is measured to that milestone.

I have a virtual cache for a Zero Milestone in Norfolk, VA here: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=7344

It has 2 NGS markers on it, so you can check your GPS accuracy for that day if you wnat to.

Guest Rich in NEPA

quote:
Originally posted by Pote:

... The zero milestone for a city is the place from which highway miles are measured. If you are on I95 and a sign says Washington, DC 124 miles, it is measured to that milestone.

Ok, then ... would the coordinates that Garmin, for example, uses for its built-in cities & towns database be based on these same Zero Milestones?

------------------

~Rich in NEPA~

====================================================================

? A man with a GPS receiver knows where he is; a man with two GPS receivers is never sure. ?

====================================================================

Guest DisQuoi

Yes ... in MapSource, the coordinate for Washington DC is located right at the point where the zero milestone is located. ... and I, too remember the maps of Maryland having cocentric circles representing the distance to the milestone.

Guest bunkerdave

I did this when I first got my Maggie 330, and I was disappointed to find that it simply put me in the middle of a street somewhat central in my town. I have noticed as I have traveled through some small towns that it appears to point to the post office on the main street as I pass. Not the case with my town, but I think it is probably generally true. I am sure it depends on the software, as I doubt there is much uniformity in it.

Guest rdwatson78

Much of the location info for the US comes from the USGS GNIS server or is at least based on this info. It is the official US government standard for "where things are" and what they are officially called.

There are also alot of links to other useless but interesting bits of info. (I'm currently learning about my local watershed on the EPA website.) icon_smile.gif

rdw

Guest rdwatson78

Much of the location info for the US comes from the USGS GNIS server or is at least based on this info. It is the official US government standard for "where things are" and what they are officially called.

There are also alot of links to other useless but interesting bits of info. (I'm currently learning about my local watershed on the EPA website.) icon_smile.gif

rdw