Spotted: GPS on CSI

chillas

Did anyone catch CSI last night (Thursday, March 13)?

In the main plot, a woman crashed her car into a restaurant. The CSI team used the GPS navigation system in the vehicle to trace her route. There was some brief discussion of the technology.

-----

Memory is a prism through which yesterday's light is passed.

Was it fairly accurate for once?

I remember someone on here pointing out the GPS in the film "My Little Eye" which was referred to as a 'locator' for some reason, and I finally got to see it the other day.

The 'locator' was broken, but the satellite uplink was working fine, apparently, so they could still use it to connect to the 'net with.

Laugh? I nearly cried.

------

An it harm none, do what ye will

Yeah I saw that, they did not cast a very good shadow on GPS routing tech. Specially when the one cop said the last time he used one that it wanted him to turn into the the water, plus the womans mistake in getting to the right address (she missed it right? I was not paying to much attention. You think being a forensic science student I would pay more attention icon_smile.gif ).

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

Well, they did also mention likely human error entering the address....The address entered was 16 S Somethingorother Street and she actually wanted 16 N Somethingorother Street. The GPSr directed her right where they told it to, they just entered the wrong address.....

Just because you're paranoid DOESN'T mean they're not ALL out to get you.

I didn't think the show made GPSr use look bad.

As said before, there was Human error in putting in the address. Very similar names ( I beleive the difference was X Street West, and the other was X Street East ). The GPSr told her to turn left (or was it right, hehe), so she did.

The marijuana in her system was not at a high enough level for her to confuse the buildings (they ruled that out as a cause of the wreck early in the investigation). She did have glaucoma however, and was enraged and suicidal since her HMO was screwing her over. So her vision was failing and she was not in the clearest state of mind.

I didn't see both buildings in question, but the one with the resturaunt wasn't clearly marked as a resturaunt only was it? I only caught the end and it just looked like a building to me, hehe.

Maybe somebody who saw the whole episode from the beginning can comment.

SouthDeltan

They didn't show a good exterior shot of the other building, but it appeared to have a large front window as the restaurant did.

I think the portrayal of the system was pretty neutral here. They mentioned that sometimes they have routing problems, which I think anyone who has used it before would agree that it does happen. The GPS didn't do anything "magic." The main thing we saw was a track overlayed on a street map.

-----

Memory is a prism through which yesterday's light is passed.

But did she really hit the wrong building? # 0f the 4 that were killed worked in health care business, thats how they found out about the HMO problem (they saw the pattern with the victims).

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

quote:

She was also high. I think one could tell the difference btw a restuarant fromnt and an insurance company office building.

She had the munchies and went to the restaurant instead of the insurance company? icon_biggrin.gif

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

quote:
Originally posted by Team Boogidy:

quote:
Yeah, and Sarah got dumped...

~ah... errr... nevermind~

CR

But for some reason I just don't feel sorry for her icon_biggrin.gif. Do you think she and Grissom might????? icon_eek.gif

...Running over the same old ground, what have we found?...

Oh yeah, it will happen!

Darkmoon icon_biggrin.gif

All you have to do to fly is throw yourself at the ground and miss!

I saw what appeared to be a Garmin Vista unit (it was yellow)on Stargate SG1. This SciFi channel show was using it in a museum basement on some ancient Egyptian artifacts in a search for "Alien energy". Not the intended use for the gps but it looked good in the show.

quote:
Originally posted by Team Boogidy:

But for some reason I just don't feel sorry for her icon_biggrin.gif. Do you think she and Grissom might????? icon_eek.gif

I'd be so disappointed! Grissom is the consummate professonal--except with cases involving children. He would never consider a romance with a coworker, much less a subordinate. Speaking of subordinate (~ahem~), Grissom and Ms. Heather, while it's an odd match-up, plays off the fact that Grissom seems to have met his match intellectually in a social setting. It would definitely mean a halt to any political aspirations, but then it looks like he's enjoying just where he is. she seems to drawn to his quite intellect and he drawn to her skills at reading people--which appears to surpase even his own. It does appear the door was left open for Grissom. He just needs to figure out that an apology will take much more than words with her.

Sara does need the social life, otherwise she'd be a workaholic. Greg probably has no chance though, even if he weren't a co-worker.

You know Warrick and Nick have no problems in that department and Katherine, well, it seems she's done with men--maybe down the road.

You know, they could easily introduce geocaching in the show...

Sara and Nick are assigned to a DB in the remote desert. On site there are a couple of deputies, one of which is off talking to a man and a woman.

NICK: What we got?

DEPUTY: motioning to couple This couple found what appears to be a white male about a quarter mile up in those rocks.

Camera pans revealing a huge jumbled mass of rocks at the foot of the hill.

SARA: What in the world were they doing up there?

DEPUTY: They said they were geocaching.

SARA: with puzzled look Geocaching?

NICK: yeah, it's a game were people go on this internet site, get GPS coordinates to a small box, the cache, hidden somewhere in the environment. They could be in urban setting, but mostly in rural setting like this one. You find the box and sign the logbook that's inside.

DEPUTY: It's mostly about getting out, seeing new sights... "hiking with a goal."

SARA: Well, if you have the coordinates wouldn't it be easy to find the box?

NICK: The GPS only really gets you within about 30' or so. The last little bit is up to you. A lot of times the cache container is hidden really well so it's hard to find.

SARA: You mean like buried treasure?

NICK: No, it's never buried, only hidden under leaves, under a pile of sticks, or camouflaged really well.

SARA: Weird...

With a slight eye-roll and shake of the head, Sara brushes past the two men, heading toward the spot indicted.

Nick and Deputy exchange knowing looks, then with a slightly exasperated look, Nick follows Sara.

Tada! How's that for my script writing debut? Don't worry, I'm keeping my day job.

CR

72057_2000.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Rygel:

She was also high. I think one could tell the difference btw a restuarant fromnt and an insurance company office building.

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

There were 4 employees of the insurance company eating in the restaurant (my g/f watches it but I think I caught that bit).

Opinions based on experiences with eTrex Vista...