Airline travely with GPSr

DeltaKiowa

Midwest Express has approved using GPSR's enroute. However, a flight attendant saw mine and said I couldn't use it. I turned it off, not wanting to make any reason for the air marshal to ruin my life.

In the future, when entering the plane, I will show it to whatever officer is greeting people, get approval, and make sure an attendant is watching.

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

If I have a window seat, I just turn on my Legend and place it flat against the window and put my jacket over it. If you ask, they will tend to give you a 'no' answer, as it is easier for them to deny usage as opposed to actually checking. The first time I flew with it, I hooked it up to the laptop and the flight attendant would keep checking where we were, our altitude, etc. I think this would be the exception rather than the rule.

"I can't find the longitude for the North Pole"

quote:
Originally posted by hoovman:

quote:
Originally posted by Shadowraven:

Why would airlines NOT allow a GPS?

Actually, all modern receivers have a small _transmitter_ in them (see http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=3000917383&m=4080940445 for a discussion of why). That's why TVs and radios are banned, even though they are just "receivers".

http://www.mi-geocaching.org/

not quite, gps devices as all devices using electronic circuitry emit some rf noise, they dont necessarily have a transmitter built in.

the levels of rf noise that a gps emits is consider neglible under 'Part 15 of the FCC Rules for a Class B digital device'.

however, this does not answer the why you cant use them in flight, which more often than not comes down to ignorance on the part of policy makers, generally ive found if you check with the pilot(s) they are willing to allow its use even if company policy is different.

Whether a piece of equipment meets the Part 15 restrictions or not is not a reasonable indicator of whether it will be safe to use in an aircraft:

quote:
47 CFR 15.15©

Parties responsible for equipment compliance should note that the limits specified in this part will not prevent harmful interference under all circumstances. . . .

quote:
47 CFR 15.105(;) [italics mine]

(;) For a Class B digital device or peripheral, the instructions furnished the user shall include the following or similar statement, placed in a prominent location in the text of the manual:

Note: This equipment has been tested and found to comply with the limits for a Class B digital device, pursuant to part 15 of the FCC Rules. These limits are designed to provide reasonable protection against harmful interference in a residential installation. This equipment generates, uses and can radiate radio frequency energy and, if not installed and used in accordance with the instructions, may cause harmful interference to radio communications. However, there is no guarantee that interference will not occur in a particular installation. . . .

warm.gif