Youth Group Ideas?

yummykaz

My hubby and I are the youth group advisors at our temple. Ages 11-14. We are thinking of planning a cache event for them...hiding a few caches ( not via geocaching), just giving them co-ordinates etc. and placing caches on our grounds or nearby local park. We will of course introduce Geocaching etc.

Has anyone else done this? If so please give me some suggestions and what worked and what did not?

We have done that exact activity with our Boy Scout Troop many times at many different camps. We include GPSr and compass use. It generally takes us 1/2 day to set up 8 to 10 "caches," then the boys get the afternoon to find them.

We fill each cache with identical items. To prove that each patrol has found the cache, they are to take one of the items from each cache for the final tally.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."- Jim Elliot

Texas Geocaching

We did a very similiar thing for our church youth group.

We found that the younger kids from the church (under 13) were only interested in the cache once it was found and spent most of the time hording over who would get what from the container. Like kids around a pinota (sp?) when it breaks.

The older group loved it though, they got right into learning about orienteering, how gps's worked and doing the hunt.

The caches we place followed along the Bruce trail up here which ran right by (100 meters) from the church so that worked out well and we with the youth time coordinator spent an afternoon hiding the caches.

Keith

Bear & Ducky

I talked to several local cachers and asked them if they wouldn't mind helping me out for the day of the hunt.

For placing I did it with one unit manually.

I'm not sure of any way to rent them, but then again your area will differ from mine. If you post in a regional discussion forum or contact cachers in your area you should be able to find some people willing to help.

I'd like to think people are generally willing to help out to promote the sport.

Keith

Bear & Ducky